Advice needed .Any car body repair experts on here ?

• Thread starter pondman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I accidentally reversed my truck into an Audi A3 on the plant nursery car park today.
I came clean and found out who the car belonged to, it was the young son of the nursery owner.
These are the pics of the damaged wing and deeply scratched hood.

021 by 020 by 019 by 018 by 017 by 016 by [url=https://

After I apologised the first thing he says is it needs a new wing and hood. I told him to get a quote and that no way does it need a new hood. It all looks repairable to me without any new parts but I'm no expert. Has anyone got any ideas on this and what the cost would probably be in the UK ?

Demiurge

Reaction score
From too many years in auto insurance claims I'd guess that both are repairable. Shops, at least here, can put a lot of hours onto a fender repair before replacing it is more economic. Given that it's a premium car, though, labor & paint rates from specialty shops might make the price higher.

Nobody likes insurance companies or dealing with them, but if the owner gives you a ridiculous estimate, maybe contact yours. Party-to-party settlement arrangements seldom go well because of the eventual sticker shock over the estimate, the cost of rental, or the possibility that the shop comes back with a "supplement" (additional work that is identified after the original work starts). Insurance appraisers might be able to negotiate with shops or have special rates at rental agencies- a little bit of 'clout' on your side.

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks ^ He got a quote for £1300 :holy:
I checked around and found it was a reasonable quote and paid up. This has cured my recent GAS :hber:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
I had a new bonnet on my Subaru after my cat jumped out of my bedroom window and cannonballed it. That was a 3 layer pearl paint finish and a new bonnet, fitted for 1200 quid. No damage to the car wings, no damage to the cat.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Too late to be of any help but assuming UK have scrap/junkyards, it wou be about half that price to find a fender and hood and swap them.

The car I use to get to work recently sustained hitting a deer, and I needed a new hood, headlamp and bumper. Took some leg work to find exact color in good shape but I ended up getting all three for about $300USD

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I hit a truck in a lot and needed to fix the fender.

All the quotes I got were $800CAD ish. Then I found a place near work, explained it was not via insurance and had it done for $350.

Insurance claim means higher price.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
1300 seems insane for that work... they prob could have just bondo'd the scratches, then repainted over it. same with the denting, you can usually use a suction cup to pop those out with no issue. :shrug:

pondman

Build Whore.
Contributor
Reaction score
I paid in cash, I've managed to get 6 points on my licence and had a small bump this year so I didn't want to push my insurance any further.
The worst thing about this was handing the money over to a well known animal cruelty fucker, I had to bite my tongue just looking at the little shit.

DudeManBrother

Hey...how did everybody get in my room?
Reaction score
At least you fessed up and dealt with it like an adult. Someone recently ran into my M3, hit and run, and totaled it.