Advice needed - Custom Options

• Thread starter xeL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xeL

Reaction score
After toying with the idea of having a custom built for the past few months I have decided to go ahead and jump straight in there due to the very very slim chance that a production guitar would be made with the same specifications.

The custom will be a doublecut in the vein of a PRS CU24 albeit with options that wont cost me several limbs as they would from the private stock team, the 2 areas that I am having trouble deciding on are the wood selection (bar neck/fretboard) and finish; my near final specs are as follows:

Options highlighted red are those that are not finalised.

Body Shape: Double Cut
Body Wood: Mahogany
Top Wood: Quilted Maple
Body Color/Finish:

Body Binding:
Bridge Type: HipShot String Thru Body (Black)
Pickup Configuration: Humbucker Bridge, Single Coil Neck
Control Layout: Volume, 3 Way Switch, ?
Headstock Style: Double Cut
Neck Material: Maple (Birdseye if available)
Neck Finish: Oiled/Natural
Head Stock Finish:
Neck Construction: Set Neck
Scale Length: 27"
Fretboard: Ebony
Fretboard Inlay: Side dots only
Fretboard Radius: 12"
Frets: 24 Medium Frets
Nut Type: Graphtech Graphite
Nut Width: 42mm
Tuners: Hipshot Grip-Lock Locking (Black)

Mahogany/Quilted Maple is included in the specs as it is the usual go to combination although as said before It is not an option that I am totally set on, originally I was toying with the idea of a Swamp Ash body and Walnut Top however yet again I was unsure, the finish would depend on what wood combination was chosen.

Another lesser decision is the control layout where I know for a fact that there will be a Volume and 3 way switch but a 3rd option eludes me, a second 3 way wired as a kill switch (middle kills and up/down restores) may be useful at times but it may just become a gimmick after a while and I have never really been one to use the tone knob; I would prefer to have the standard 3 bevelled controls for aesthetic purposes as seen on most PRS'.

Any advice would be appreciated :metal:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

xeL

Reaction score
Bump

Just realised how my request was rather badly worded and didn't really ask for any set advice, since I can't edit the original post I'm just going to ask for your opinions here.

What wood combination for the body/top would you recommend in order for a thick, even sound without being too muddy; also what kind of finish would you have applied to the wood choice?

Headstock finish will match the body and the control layout will be Volume, 3-way switch and Kill switch and body binding would depend on the wood chosen to avoid confusion. :cool:

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
I would do a mahogany body with a maple cap. IF you want natural, I'd do a tung oil. If its painted a clear gloss. Mahogany is definitely a thick sound and maple will add some punch. Plus maple can be lookin' too fine.

Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking. Go mahogany body, maple cap, and a thin finish like a tung oil or nitrocellulose. I have a les paul with the same woods and a nitro finish, and it has a thick sound with a midrange attack.

xeL

Reaction score
I'm going to shoot for a Mahogany body and a Flamed maple top, I take it there isn't a whole lot of tonal difference (if any) between flame and quilt.

Most likely going to have a finish similar to this Sherman with a natural, oiled neck, back and sides unless I decide differently, going to do some research on finishes for a while.

')