Advice on capturing a DI signal, while playing through amp/pedals/cab rig, and recording both

• Thread starter B.M.F.
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

B.M.F.

Blasphemy Made Flesh
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm certain there are folks here that play through their amp/pedals/cab rig, while recording a DI signal in real time, to audio interface to their computer. The question is, how are ya'll doing this? I would really like to know.
I have tube and ss amp heads, and a pedalboard, all running through a BOSS WAZA Tube Amp Expander, which outputs to a MESA 2x12.
(The ISP Decimator II G-String is in the only pedal in the amps' send & return effects loop, the remaining pedals are running through the BOSS WAZA Tube Amp Expander's send & return effects loop. Drive pedals are being fed by the Decimator guitar out into the amps' input.)
I am able to record my "analog" setups signal chain, which I am doing now, from the output of the WAZA Tube Amp Expander into the computer (cab emulation turned off on the WAZA and using IR's in the computer.)
However I'd also like to capture a bare DI signal from my guitar, going into my audio interface at the same time I am recording and playing through my setup.
I don't have a tuner pedal out front that I can split the signal with and have one cable go to the audio interface. I was thinking there has to be some kind of D/I box (by Radial or another brand?) that I can plug my guitar into to take one signal through the "live" setup to the audio interface, and a second bare D/I signal to the audio interface, I'm just not sure. Any insight on the best/most efficient way to accomplish this?
I used to not care about recording a D/I signal. However I have recently admitted (submitted? lol) to the flexibility and potential of doing so. Should also make recording more fun and expand my tonal palette since I can mix the real amps with digital/software amps.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

l1ll1

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Get a decent DI with high headroom and a pad switch. Radials are great. Neves are expensive but amazing. DIs got a "Through / Thru" out that goes into your amp etc. and the XLR out of the DI to your interface.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
That redeye thing looks kinda cool. I'd say it's kinda expensive, but realistically, if you're aiming to re-amp, it's replacing two or three separate boxes so the cost difference might be negligible. I didn't realize until now that the Radial combo-DI+Reamp box was so expensive.