Advice on pickups for an RG-1527

• Thread starter Raziel2p
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Raziel2p

Reaction score
So, I have the guitar with the allegedly crappy pickups, and I want some new ones now. I've browsed through the threads here and dimarzio and seymour duncan's websites, and I think I've come to a sort of conclusion:

I'll probably be putting a DiMarzio Blaze Neck on the neck. I'd be using it for soloing, naturally, and the Blaze seems to be the best choice when the JB-7 is out of the question (because apparently it doesn't sound good with basswood). There's lots of reviews on this one as well, so I think I can be fairly certain with it. Although the D Activator 7 neck model seems interesting as well, I don't know if I should take the risk with it. But if someone knows anything about it, I'd love to hear it. I'll be playing metal on this one, but also some jazz/blues and random stuff, and of course some clean stuff now and then.

For the bridge, I'm down to two choices at the moment: the DiMarzio D Sonic 7, or Seymour Duncan SH-8 Invader. There wasn't a great deal of feedback about these two - so I'd like to hear if anyone has any experience or knowlege about them, especially whether they'll sound good in basswood or not. I'll be using it for heavily distorted metal riffs and not much more. I'd like a thick sound, but not too fat, but not too sharp either. The stock bridge pickup does a semi-decent job, but the sound is just too sharp for me - it sounds okay when I'm playing black metal and the like, but I'd like something a bit heavier.

I might've gone for EMGs, but I don't trust them. I've tried a few guitars with EMGs, and they seem too crisp for me (not to mention it'd mean having to cut a new cavity - if that's that the word). I might've put an EMG into the bridge position and a passive in the neck, but that sounds a bit stupid. Blackouts might work too, but I'm not so sure about them either. Basically, any advice would be welcome.

On a side note, does anyone know how to change the pickup height on this guitar? There are screws on each side of the pickup, but screwing them around doesn't do anything but loosen the screw itself.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
I have both the DS7 and the Blaze Neck. Good choice really. Although I hear the AN7 is better with the DS7. The Blaze Neck is great for lead and cleans but not for distorted rhythm. DS7 is great and chunky but pinch harmonics aren't as easy to get as say, the DA7 but still good. I'd say it's good for proggy stuff.

Btw, I'll be selling the blaze neck and putting the DS7 in my new RG8427F and filling my RG1527 with DA7's.

Raziel2p

Reaction score
guitarplayerone: Metal rythm on the bridge and metal/rock/jazz soloing and cleans on the neck.

ZeroSignal, thanks for the info. I'm supposing that by AN7 you mean the DA7 neck model? I'll have to consider that one for the neck as well, but I'm not so sure whether that ultra-bright sound would fit very well. I'd love to hear some clips of both the neck and bridge when you've installed the DA7s, by the way :)

ZeroSignal

Meal Team Six
Contributor
Reaction score
guitarplayerone: Metal rythm on the bridge and metal/rock/jazz soloing and cleans on the neck.

ZeroSignal, thanks for the info. I'm supposing that by AN7 you mean the DA7 neck model? I'll have to consider that one for the neck as well, but I'm not so sure whether that ultra-bright sound would fit very well. I'd love to hear some clips of both the neck and bridge when you've installed the DA7s, by the way :)

AN7 = Air Norton 7

And you're welcome! :yesway:

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Blaze Neck for the neck.

Have you considered the blaze bridge or evo7 for the bridge? I mean the DS7 is a good pup too.

Raziel2p

Reaction score
Not really. I'm under the impression that the blaze bridge isn't as heavy as I'd like (might be wrong though), and the evo I'm not so sure about. I tend to tone down the mids, so a pickup which apparently has a majority of mids doesn't seem like the ideal choice.

IbanezOnly

Reaction score
you havent listed a price range, this could help or just be a pain in the ass. Ive used Duncans, Dizmarzios, EMGS, and I havent been happy until i found Bareknuckle Pickups (handwound, made in uk). Pricey yes, but i play the same guitar as you and I got the Nailbomb Bridge/Coldsweat Neck. I havent heard such a clear articulate pickup then bkp. I will never go back.:hbang:

Iceblade

Reaction score
Ah yes, the ol' Chris Broderick setup. Did get the magnet type changes like Chris does too... or did you just happen to pick this BKP combo on your own?

Thanks,
Jeff

you havent listed a price range, this could help or just be a pain in the ass. Ive used Duncans, Dizmarzios, EMGS, and I havent been happy until i found Bareknuckle Pickups (handwound, made in uk). Pricey yes, but i play the same guitar as you and I got the Nailbomb Bridge/Coldsweat Neck. I havent heard such a clear articulate pickup then bkp. I will never go back.:hbang:

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
I'd be more likely to use an Air Norton 7 (AN7) as the neck pickup, its supposed to be one of the best you can get, I'll probably put one in my Schecter here sometime soon.

If you're looking for some metal bridge tones, the X2N is awesome, super heavy without that 'icepick' quality to it in my opinion, especially if you cut some treble and boost the bass some, it has awesome response.

Latest posts

')