Advice on purchase

• Thread starter Pengu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pengu

Reaction score
Hi all, I will soon be given a gift for reaching a milestone. Approx 5k for gear. I already have a cheap 7 string ibanez and an amp and distortion pedal. But that's it for live stuff.

Would you a) buy a high end guitar. I'm thinking an aristides 060r or b) buy a mid range guitar maybe an ibanez az, and spend the rest on a live rig like a quad cortex and amp?

Curious as to what others would do :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StevenC

Needs a hobby
Reaction score
The answer to this question depends entirely on what guitar, amp and distortion pedal you currently have. I know I'd take my amp over some of my guitars for the same price.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
10-15 mid range guitars and a midrange amp is the move

I'm only (half) joking. Depending your current amp and pedal situation, I'd maybe scale back a little from the Aristides and also get a nice tube amp.

Lots of variables though, I'm not sure what your situation is for gigging, playing at home, etc.

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
Used prestige guitar, a tube half stack, then a rack with power supply, tuner, gate, and EQ.

What kind of music do you play? It's metal. Get a 5153S or Dual Rec.

Screamingdaisy

Reaction score
IMO, high end guitars aren't worth getting into until you're committed to a design and/or feature set. If you're still at an experimental stage in your life what you think is awesome today could end up being what you dislike tomorrow.

Using that Aristides as an example, if you haven't played an Evertune, Fishmans, or a composite guitar before, you're essentially paying for the opportunity to see if you like it or not. That can be an expensive process if you decide to experiment at the 5k price point.

Demiurge

Reaction score
I would say spend $2k on fun gear, and put $3k in an investment account. Your older self will thank you, and super expensive gear is unnecessary. 😀
It's the least-sexy answer but the most responsible. I can't imagine getting a $5k windfall with literally no other financial obligation- current or potential- encroaching.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I would buy a single high-ticket item you’ve had your eye on for years, and save the rest.

I honestly think the world is going to get rough real soon here. I know this isn’t the financial advice forum but, yeah.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Investment account will get you what a couple hundred over a few years? Buy a good deal on a 5k guitar, sell it for 6k in those few years after the multiple new price hikes make 6k very attractive ;) (chuckles at $7k cad 2014 historics).

Shask

Reaction score
I would buy a single high-ticket item you’ve had your eye on for years, and save the rest.

I honestly think the world is going to get rough real soon here. I know this isn’t the financial advice forum but, yeah.
Yeah, I definitely think it is going to get harder and harder in the next several years for those without assets.

Shask

Reaction score
Investment account will get you what a couple hundred over a few years? Buy a good deal on a 5k guitar, sell it for 6k in those few years after the multiple new price hikes make 6k very attractive ;) (chuckles at $7k cad 2014 historics).
More realistically you will have to sell that guitar for $1k because you need to pay your rent and a can of SPAM.

Moongrum

Reaction score
Hi all, I will soon be given a gift for reaching a milestone. Approx 5k for gear. I already have a cheap 7 string ibanez and an amp and distortion pedal. But that's it for live stuff.

Would you a) buy a high end guitar. I'm thinking an aristides 060r or b) buy a mid range guitar maybe an ibanez az, and spend the rest on a live rig like a quad cortex and amp?

Curious as to what others would do :)
Until inflation goes higher, I can't stomach spending more than $3k on a guitar. I don't play live/jam with people, so I wouldn't bother buying an amp. So I guess I uh would pocket the rest lol.
Yeah, I definitely think it is going to get harder and harder in the next several years for those without assets.
I hear ya. I bought a bunch of doge coin to prepare.

')