Advice on purchase

• Thread starter Pengu
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
As I get older, and the world gets worse financially, I find myself preparing more and more.
Totally get it. I'm a gear whore now because I'm at a point where I can afford it. I went 15 years with one guitar before that happened.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
More realistically you will have to sell that guitar for $1k because you need to pay your rent and a can of SPAM.
Doubtful by a wide margin duder. Not seeing firesales in country-wide searches and dont expect to.

If its a 5k used guitar, its a 4k used guitar “buy it now” to people in that tier imo especially if new prices jump 30%…

Shask

Reaction score
Doubtful by a wide margin duder. Not seeing firesales in country-wide searches and dont expect to.

If its a 5k used guitar, its a 4k used guitar “buy it now” to people in that tier imo especially if new prices jump 30%…
I am just saying I think we will get to a point where people can't afford guitars, and it will be difficult to sell anything that is not dirt cheap. As debt continues to rise, unemployment rises, everything costs more, housing getting more unaffordable, and people struggle more and more.

I just really expect the next few years to get really tough.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
They’ll get tougher but we are in a recession *now* and that isnt the case. More people wont buy expensive luxury goods, but that doesnt mean things will be fire sales.

Shask

Reaction score
They’ll get tougher but we are in a recession *now* and that isnt the case. More people wont buy expensive luxury goods, but that doesnt mean things will be fire sales.
I have seen posts and videos talking about how pawn shops are getting full and how some guitar stores wont even buy gear any more because they aren't selling their current inventory.

I dont think the US government will admit we are in a recession yet, lol.

The student loans are going to start defaulting next month also, so I think that will change a lot.

Anyways, I dont want to derail the whole thread too much, lol. I would buy a Fractal FM3 and a Schecter at around $2k, and save/invest the rest, or pay off debt if you have it.

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
5k USD hard currency? I'd get a Jackson American SL3 and a Marshall DSL half stack with a couple of good overdrive pedals.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
The US is most definitely not in a recession right now. The data is kinda trending downwards, but unemployment is still very low by historical standards and inflation is cooling.

There's always some scary financial calamity lurking around the corner, but those dire predictions rarely come to pass and heeding them is usually destructive to your financial health.

Unless you're in industry that is highly affected by macro trends, you're going to be fine. And if you're really that worried, just make sure you have an ample emergency fund to weather any job loss you might experience.

More on topic, I think you get into serious diminishing returns territory on guitars after $2,000. I wouldn't drop much more on a guitar than that, unless Aristides or a similar boutique brand has some features you can't get on other guitars. If you're spending that much, I'd want something custom.

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The US is most definitely not in a recession right now. The data is kinda trending downwards, but unemployment is still very low by historical standards and inflation is cooling.
Yup. I think the definition of recession is two quarters of negative GDP growth. We're not in a recession and in the short-term a recession seems unlikely.

')