Advice on purchasing new computer!!!

mhenas

Reaction score
hey guys,

so im currently stuck with the question of what computer should i get as im currently looking to purchase a new one.
I'm stuck with the decision of getting a mac or pc and want your opinions :)
tell me about your build!

cheers
matt

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Well, two things first: Mac guys will tell you mac, and PC guys will tell you PC :lol:

However, some questions:

-what soundcard. I'm assuming this is for an evil plot to take over the world with your exceptional musical skills? ;) You need a good soundcard. Doesn't have to be the highest prices, but built in audio aint gonna cut it.

-What host are you using? LOGIC is a very good host IF you are using mac. If you are using reaper (just for an example) you could go either way.

-PRICE: Chances are EXCELLENT that you will pay WAY more for a mac. Nothing wrong with that, but what is your budget and what do you plan to do with it?

-VST/AU. In fact, there are more VST plugs for you evil plan to take over the world than AU's. But, depending on your "preference" maybe AU is fine. But it's important to ask the question and get an idea where you are at.

That's all I can think of at this small moment in time. I'll add more as I become aware :lol:

mhenas

Reaction score
haha yeah i know ive had that problem already
well my current setup is a 2010 imac which is almost dead i run it with a saffire pro 40 into reaper

im looking to spend $2k AUD

Well, two things first: Mac guys will tell you mac, and PC guys will tell you PC :lol:

However, some questions:

-what soundcard. I'm assuming this is for an evil plot to take over the world with your exceptional musical skills? ;) You need a good soundcard. Doesn't have to be the highest prices, but built in audio aint gonna cut it.

-What host are you using? LOGIC is a very good host IF you are using mac. If you are using reaper (just for an example) you could go either way.

-PRICE: Chances are EXCELLENT that you will pay WAY more for a mac. Nothing wrong with that, but what is your budget and what do you plan to do with it?

-VST/AU. In fact, there are more VST plugs for you evil plan to take over the world than AU's. But, depending on your "preference" maybe AU is fine. But it's important to ask the question and get an idea where you are at.

That's all I can think of at this small moment in time. I'll add more as I become aware :lol:

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
In Australia, with the markup on components, you're best off doing some research and learning how to build a desktop yourself. You'll save money and with a $2k budget you can get a pretty beastly machine.

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
Saphire pro 40.reaper/nac ssounds good.

Make sure the mac has a TI chiset FW card ;)

Also, seriously sonsider getting SSD if you can afford it and x64 OS and 16gb of ram. Build it for futrure proof, not simply what you can get by with.

07adams88

Reaction score
I agree with future proofing it except only get an SSD for the OS and your DAW/programs. Get an HDD for you music files. You don't want to be constantly adding and deleting things off an SSD.

You will almost always be better off building your own so I recommend newegg.com!

Place emphasis on on Processor, MoBO, RAM and sound card the rest could really be in the average range. Seagate Barracudas are really reliable HDDs and moderately priced. If you want it to be a little bit quieter you can get the corsair H80 self contained liquid cooling system, the fan would be able to run at low RPM and still keep your CPU cool.

If you get a decent video card you might want to go into the enthusiast range and get a decent one that wont be pushed hard so the fan stays at low RPM.

')