Advise needed

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi guys

So, I'm taking the plunge and shortly buying a bass. Now I'm a guitarist and no next to nothing about pickups and preamps. I won't be using it live it will just be for recording so I can be self sustaining if that make sense. The bass I was thinking of getting is the this one https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-a...anned-Fret-5-String-Bass-Blue-Burl-Burst/31J3 it's a redsub Coliseum 5 string multi scale. I'll be tuning to drop G. It's cheap and cheerful and think it will do the job due to the scale length it has and I'm approaching it as a upgrade project as I'm guessing the preamp and pickups will suck at this price point. The pickups and preamp I was think of was the nordstrand fd3's and the dark glass tone capsule. To record, I was going to use neural dsp parallax plugin. Music style is I suppose is progressive metal.
What I want to know is, is this combo of pickups preamp any good? And is the plugin any good? Also any other suggestions of pickups/preamp would be appreciated, also would it be worth just upgrading just the pickups or the preamp on its own? Or would it need both?.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
That bass might work as is for drop G, or maybe not.

Why don't you try it as is, then, if there is something you don't like, try to isolate the issue you have and fix it?

I do think that the darkglass might be a big improvement, but not sure what electronics come with the bass, so best to check it out first.

:2c:

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cheers bud for the advise, think I maybe over thinking it a bit maybe?

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@lewis if I remember right, I saw a post saying you had a redsub bass? How's it working out for you bud?

Thorshammer1980

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never heard of Redsub basses, so I guess I'm not much help. I've only owned BCR, Schecter, and Sterling by Musicman basses.

The Redsub you picked out looks nice though! The body shape is pretty brutal. I hope it turns out good for you.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Redsub as far as I know are a "home brand" for an eu music store gear4music. Hoping its going to be OK for what I need it for. Cheers for your comment though. Any thoughts on pickups / preamps?

lewis

Reaction score
@lewis if I remember right, I saw a post saying you had a redsub bass? How's it working out for you bud?
I do yes! :)
The INF 4 fan fret
I love the thing. Easy to adjust. Super fast to play and easy to customise (i changed all the hardware on mine to chrome - and added white EMG bass pickups)

Highly recommend. (Of course I may have gotten lucky with mine but at least their returns policy is great should they send you a lemon)
the cheap prices certainly makes it lower risk.

These newer, nearly dingwall scale length basses they done, do look amazing.

Thorshammer1980

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Redsub as far as I know are a "home brand" for an eu music store gear4music. Hoping its going to be OK for what I need it for. Cheers for your comment though. Any thoughts on pickups / preamps?

My main guitar and bass I use for recording both have EMGs. I've been an EMG guy for years.

Preamp, can't go wrong with Darkglass. You're on the right track.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
You're getting really bogged down in the details and you don't even have the bass in your hands yet. Getting ready to more than double the total cost of your bass to solve a problem that currently exists entirely in your head doesn't make a lot of sense.
(For reference: in USD your bass is ~$430, the FD3 + Tone Capsule setup is an additional $490 and then there's the additional cost of installation unless you do it yourself)

Your first course of action should be getting the bass a proper setup once it gets to you, it may be perfect out of the box, but that's pretty rare due to how instruments can shift during shipping.
After the bass is all set up, then you should take time to actually get accustomed to the instrument in its stock form: play on it, do test recordings, actually mess with the knobs, try different techniques etc. You're recording direct in so there is a plethora of free amp plugins you can try, too.
You may find the stock bass is totally fine for what you want to do once you get it dialed in; you also may identify shortcomings, but at least in that case you'll actually know what what you want to change and will have some idea what you're actually looking for.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@Necris appreciate the words of wisdom. I agree with you, think I am over thinking it. Installation and setup of the instrument is not an issue as I'm able to do that myself and have all the necessary tools. But yes ur right I should probably wait to hear what it sounds like before I buy extras.

Corporial Bodies

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Took the plunge and ordered the redsub Coliseum, should be here around the start of Feb will report back then.

Latest posts

')