Affordable steel string acoustic guitars?

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
Looking to get more into acoustic, for as in my time I've played guitar I've always prioritized electric and metal riffing. Not looking for a P.O.S. but looking to stay in the 300 range. Don't really want an electric acoustic, just something that looks, sounds and plays great. Not too familiar with acoustic brands so id appreciate some suggestions!

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
At that price, I'd go used. You can grab some great old Yamaha and Alvarez stuff.

That said, if you really want to go new, you should really take some time and try some stuff out, especially if you don't have a lot of experience in what the different specs mean for acoustics.

Some brands in your price range to look at: Seagull, Ibanez, Yamaha, Aria, Jasmine, Epiphone and Fender.

Vince Caruana

Vinsanity
Reaction score
At that price, I'd go used. You can grab some great old Yamaha and Alvarez stuff.

That said, if you really want to go new, you should really take some time and try some stuff out, especially if you don't have a lot of experience in what the different specs mean for acoustics.

Some brands in your price range to look at: Seagull, Ibanez, Yamaha, Aria, Jasmine, Epiphone and Fender.
My pops is always raving about ovations

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My pops is always raving about ovations

Ovation are very polarizing. Some love them, and some hate them, with few in the middle.

If the ergonomics work for you, and the sound is something you like, there are tons of "good" Ovations on the used market.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

Pretty spot on post, though I've had no experience with Aria and haven't always been impressed with cheaper Fenders. Then again, their electrics have been pretty consistently great in the last 5-8 years so maybe their acoustics have picked it up as well.

Go out and play as much as you can, though, even a bunch of guitars outside your price range. Figure out what you like, and that'll help you narrow your options down.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pretty spot on post, though I've had no experience with Aria and haven't always been impressed with cheaper Fenders. Then again, their electrics have been pretty consistently great in the last 5-8 years so maybe their acoustics have picked it up as well.

Go out and play as much as you can, though, even a bunch of guitars outside your price range. Figure out what you like, and that'll help you narrow your options down.

The Fender California series acoustics are seriously fun. Nothing breathtaking sound wise, but the smaller bodies, and thinner necks make them a great jump-off point for players newer to acoustics. The quality is very consistent too. Great if you want something a little different than a straight Martin clone.

KnightBrolaire

SSO's unofficial pickup tester
Reaction score
seagulls are usually really solid for that price. I've seen used godins and takamines go for that at times too. best bet is to just find a shop and play as many acoustics as possible, it'll give you a better idea of what exactly you want/can get for that price.