(Affordable) way to route multiple stereo tracks to different headphones?

Given To Fly

Reaction score
Yes! I looked and found those too but totally out of my league. To be honest if I wasn't short on time I'd go and breadboard a three part headphone amp for the six outs on an interface. But I am running late so it's ok if I can get something I'll use later or can just resell fast on craigslit.

What you say is what I am thinking of doing if I get a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. Just use the two headphone outs and route an extra to a headphone amp on the back using two of the outs.

Is that what you mean? I think that could work.:rolleyes:

I think the 6i6 will do exactly what you need! In fact, I read through this a little bit, http://d3se566zfvnmhf.cloudfront.ne...e/downloads/9439/scarlett6i6-user-guideen.pdf . You may not need an additional headphone amp but you will have to make that decision. :cool:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

neurosis

Reaction score

Descent

Reaction score
I'm also thinking 3 different separate music programs with different outputs might work if you have 3 usb interfaces to route to. Maybe could be done with cheapy Berry usb interfaces like UCG102 (Guitar link) or in this case the built-in interface output, then 2 more usb devices, like say UCG102 or the Griffin iMic:
https://griffintechnology.com/us/products/audio/imic which seemed to work really good on Mac.
Might even work as aggregate device, especially if you don't care about latency, thinking about it a bit more I think since you're not recording maybe that route would go. I'd just hate it for you to spend all the money on an expensive interface to see that it crashes, so if you don't care about 3 pieces syncing together you could possibly use 3 different programs and have each one run a playlist separately to each interface.

Lax

Reaction score
I may be off, if I understood wrong the issue, but what about a Jamhub with USB ?
Lots of inputs and headphone outputs, each able of various settings.
If my french/glish made me wrong, excuse me

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I have ano Audiobox VST1818 and it has tons of outputs. The headphone out doesn't defeat anything. The only caveat is that you'd have to get some little Hosa y cables to go from two balances mono outs to a single stereo out.

Anyway, since the headphone out is independent of everything else, you could route main out and headphone out to two pairs, then take any auxiliary pair (3+4, 5+6) and use a y adapter to plug another pair into those. If you had tworked adapters, you could have 4 independent head phone mixes.

Nour Ayasso

Reaction score
Sorta lost track of this thread (because this is confusing as f*ck in writing compared to hands on) but just coming in real quick with some thoughts.

I know you said pricing is a problem in which you'd rather not spend so much to solve such a petty issue, but I think the 6i6 or any yamaha/mackie mixers will solve this problem (check out QSC too). Only problem though, how exactly are you going to assign each output? I think this is where an interface shines, right?

Also, what exactly are you doing this for?

neurosis

Reaction score
I'm also thinking 3 different separate music programs with different outputs might work if you have 3 usb interfaces to route to. Maybe could be done with cheapy Berry usb interfaces like UCG102 (Guitar link) or in this case the built-in interface output, then 2 more usb devices, like say UCG102 or the Griffin iMic:
https://griffintechnology.com/us/products/audio/imic which seemed to work really good on Mac.
Might even work as aggregate device, especially if you don't care about latency, thinking about it a bit more I think since you're not recording maybe that route would go. I'd just hate it for you to spend all the money on an expensive interface to see that it crashes, so if you don't care about 3 pieces syncing together you could possibly use 3 different programs and have each one run a playlist separately to each interface.

All good points and you are right. I have decided to get the Saffire 6i6 and have two tracks running to both headphone outs on that. for the other track i am just going to load quicktime and have it cycle to the headphone out of the imac I am using. I don't like this, it's still dirty looking but it will get the job done with minimal trouble. I did some testing with the aggregate devices and the USB ports and once I had it set up I thought... how is the person who will be looking at this from time to time going to maintain it? The interface makes it easy since all they have to do is fire up the program and send to the channels. I'll just leave a project ready in a DAW and that should make it ok while the other loop will just be running on the regular headphone out of the computer.

We'll see. :hbang:

neurosis

Reaction score
I may be off, if I understood wrong the issue, but what about a Jamhub with USB ?
Lots of inputs and headphone outputs, each able of various settings.
If my french/glish made me wrong, excuse me

that's exactly the type of functionality I'd need. But it is overkill in this unit. Too many options on top of the separate routing which is basically the only thing I am after. But thanks! And I understood, no problem. Thanks for the input!

Salut! :wavey:

neurosis

Reaction score
I have ano Audiobox VST1818 and it has tons of outputs. The headphone out doesn't defeat anything. The only caveat is that you'd have to get some little Hosa y cables to go from two balances mono outs to a single stereo out.

Anyway, since the headphone out is independent of everything else, you could route main out and headphone out to two pairs, then take any auxiliary pair (3+4, 5+6) and use a y adapter to plug another pair into those. If you had tworked adapters, you could have 4 independent head phone mixes.

I was really close to getting this. It looks fantastic, but I'd have no other use for it after the show. At least with the Saffire I know that if I am stuck with it I'll be able to use it for myself after the exhibit.

But that's a great interface for sure. I still have a Presonus Firewire in Spain and miss it dearly. That thing was rock solid.

neurosis

Reaction score
Sorta lost track of this thread (because this is confusing as f*ck in writing compared to hands on) but just coming in real quick with some thoughts.

I know you said pricing is a problem in which you'd rather not spend so much to solve such a petty issue, but I think the 6i6 or any yamaha/mackie mixers will solve this problem (check out QSC too). Only problem though, how exactly are you going to assign each output? I think this is where an interface shines, right?

Also, what exactly are you doing this for?

It's a video installation. it has stuff running on a screen and then there are three separate stereo channels with sound pieces that people can listen to on headphones while looking at the footage.

I finally went for the interface. I think it will work.

Descent

Reaction score
All good points and you are right. I have decided to get the Saffire 6i6 and have two tracks running to both headphone outs on that. for the other track i am just going to load quicktime and have it cycle to the headphone out of the imac I am using. I don't like this, it's still dirty looking but it will get the job done with minimal trouble. I did some testing with the aggregate devices and the USB ports and once I had it set up I thought... how is the person who will be looking at this from time to time going to maintain it? The interface makes it easy since all they have to do is fire up the program and send to the channels. I'll just leave a project ready in a DAW and that should make it ok while the other loop will just be running on the regular headphone out of the computer.

We'll see. :hbang:

Teamviewer with you on the payroll for maintenance or you can let them :wallbash:

neurosis

Reaction score
Teamviewer with you on the payroll for maintenance or you can let them :wallbash:

You mean remotely managing the setups? :D

That would be nice but I hope in this simple form they will be able to learn how keep it going.

Else....:wall bash: indeed. Hahahahha

')