After 16 years... (NGD)

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
After all the shit I talked about djent kids, I have finally joined the Fractal family.

This was the only good picture I took since I'm terrible at using my Lumix G7 still. Both the Fractal and the G7 required university degrees to operate lol.

P1000458-min.JPG

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
You won't regret it my man!

Just make sure you don't cheap out on an FRFR if you plan on using it live. I see a lot of guys buying a $3K processor and cheaping out on an FRFR (looking at you Headrush), and afterward complaining that it sounds like rubbish live. :scratch:

CrushingAnvil

Reaction score

Just make sure you don't cheap out on an FRFR if you plan on using it live. I see a lot of guys buying a $3K processor and cheaping out on an FRFR (looking at you Headrush), and afterward complaining that it sounds like rubbish live. :scratch:
I have a friend who swears by Headrushes but I'm skeptical. I'm also skeptical about spending another 4k on two Atomic CLR's. Decisions decisions...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have a friend who swears by Headrushes but I'm skeptical. I'm also skeptical about spending another 4k on two Atomic CLR's. Decisions decisions...

Throw time and experience at the problem, not money. Once you figure out how a crossover works and get good at adjusting the one in a good speaker array you'll get great tones no matter the price.

Reaction score

Headrush cabs sound fine. If those guys can't make their tone sound good then the problem is them, not the Headrush

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Headrush cabs sound fine. If those guys can't make their tone sound good then the problem is them, not the Headrush

They are what they are: cheaply built 2-way speakers with a basic "contour switch" and no user adjustable crossover.

Spending another $100 or $200 (which still keeps you under $600) and you get get something much more feature packed.

:2c:

ItWillDo

KGB Apparatchik
Reaction score
Disagree, that approach might work for lower & room volumes, but they're notoriously boomy sounding at louder volumes and even tend to clip pretty fast once you're jamming with a loud drummer (other low budget FRFR's like the Alto TS115a have this same problem).

Personally, I'm super happy with a Red Sound RS-LG12 (the active one) and have heard some good things about the Friedman ASC-10/ Kemper cab as well.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Im really confused why you'd think a fractal is for djent kids? Is that the common stereotype of AxeFX users or something?

MetalDestroyer

Heaven's Football Bat
Reaction score
Im really confused why you'd think a fractal is for djent kids? Is that the common stereotype of AxeFX users or something?

Periphery. They had their whole thing in the early 2010s that was all powered by an Axe-Fx II. It cannot be overstated how influential they were.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Periphery and some other Sumerian bands used them for a while/still do so it got lumped in for a bit.

The highlight being the POD red bean getting said Sumerian bands famous.

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
Oh I figured periphery used them or something. Just odd when so many way more famous people, cough cough fucking metallica, use them and it gets lumped in with djent lol

I love djent until someone sings. Then I'm out.

CrushingAnvil

Reaction score
Oh I figured periphery used them or something. Just odd when so many way more famous people, cough cough fucking metallica, use them and it gets lumped in with djent lol

I love djent until someone sings. Then I'm out.
I spent probably a whole decade pretending I didn't like Icarus Lives (I was here when Bulb dropped it on us in the first instrumental iteration). Kinda vibe with the vocals but also don't lol very confusing listen.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Onboard tuner is great and recently updated :yesway:

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Congrats!! Welcome to the Fractalverse. :)

I’ve had zero success with FRFR. I’ve tried a pair of Matrix speakers and a Headrush version. Disliked both. But knowing what I know now, I’d be much quicker to apply fairly aggressive low and high cuts in the cab block, output EQ, or any of the other myriad ways to do so. I’m guessing I’d have more success these days.

No point for me at this time though. Because I play only at home and can play loud, I just run my FM9 through my real amps FX loops (stereo) and it is glorious. And real amps and cabs look much better than FRFR stuff lol

')