After the Burial Rig Rundown

• Thread starter Philligan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eventhetrees

What's a Panini?
Reaction score
Lee (bassist) tunes down an octave below them.

Would that be F0? But yes he is an octave below the Low F. Last time I talked to Trent he said Lee's low F was a 160 gauge string, so...FAT!

Path

Reaction score
Necro indeed, but a mate of mine and myself were discussin this, any body know wat power amps they run

themike

Chug Life
Reaction score
Necro indeed, but a mate of mine and myself were discussin this, any body know wat power amps they run

Opened for them last month - Carvin TS100s - but its only for stage volume. They run their Fractals through FOH direct.

Da Butt Bandit

Expert of 0-0-0
Reaction score
Justin got this tight low end that really set them apart from other people who play that type of thing, and I still am trying to emulate it!

Alfredo Ortiz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dude this is like 2019 now and I'm so freaking new to this hahahh. I mean new as in actually signing up. I've been knew of this. Just came here because of researching After The Burial's tone dude. Sigh...... Dude I just can't seem to find anything to help me get somewhat of an understanding to their sound. I love my own tone that I have using the Axe FX II but dude, even using Dad Metal, PEQ, horizon drive physical pedal, gate, and some more EQ, nothing comes close to that weird raspy tone they have.

Paul Gilbert

newborn baby
Reaction score
Dude this is like 2019 now and I'm so freaking new to this hahahh. I mean new as in actually signing up. I've been knew of this. Just came here because of researching After The Burial's tone dude. Sigh...... Dude I just can't seem to find anything to help me get somewhat of an understanding to their sound. I love my own tone that I have using the Axe FX II but dude, even using Dad Metal, PEQ, horizon drive physical pedal, gate, and some more EQ, nothing comes close to that weird raspy tone they have.
Which album tone are you after?

Alfredo Ortiz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Which album tone are you after?

Wolves within. It's the tone you hear them do in songs like Penny Weight at the very beginning. And that choppy part in wolves amongst Ravens. The new album Behold the crown, they have that same tone on this song called To Challenge Existence.

To me, those times are super hard for me to figure out. I'm very curious as to how they get such a sound.

op1e

Spirit Taker
Reaction score
Wolf Amongst Ravens sounds very digital to me. Haven't heard a lot off that album but I'd guess that's Fractal going on there, with multiple gates in the signal chain. It starts and stops so hard I don't see how else they got that tone. I go back and forth between that and Collapse out by the fire a lot and the latter just seems like crushing, real organic 5150 tone IMO.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Wolves Within tone, as far as I can surmise, is a combination of two things.

1.) I remember an interview with Justin where he said that Trent came up with an axe fx patch that has no low end at all but is very clear for the low 8 string stuff. Sounds like shit by itself(especially when they play leads) but that's where part 2 comes in.

2.) Lee tuned his bass in the exact same octave that Trent and Justin tuned their guitars. So essentially, he provided the low end that the guitar tone lacked.

And of course heavy gating and good muting technique.

Alfredo Ortiz

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ahhhhh hhaaaaaa. So it's a combination of things. I wonder watch amp model they used in the Axe FX. But I think you answered the main question now. Thanks man everyone

Krucifixtion

Duncan Hills
Reaction score
I saw them a few times over the years, but the first time I ever saw them on Summer Slaughter after Rareform came out I believe Justin was using a 6505 and had a Dual Rect as a backup and Trent had an ENGL Invader, but I don't think it was too long after that they switched over to Axe-Fx for live. Rareform was recorded with a POD XT I think.

I want to say their Axe-Fx patches were combos of like 5150 or Recto mixed with Diezel or Uberschall. Something of that sort. However, I think Trent at some point went back to using amps live and was using the Randall Thrasher. I haven't seen them live in a long time, but if you watch videos I think that's what he is currently using. Not sure about the newer album tones, but I know it was Digital for quite a while. Not much bass in their newer patches. Trent mostly still using Blackouts I think.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
Wolves within. It's the tone you hear them do in songs like Penny Weight at the very beginning. And that choppy part in wolves amongst Ravens. The new album Behold the crown, they have that same tone on this song called To Challenge Existence.

To me, those times are super hard for me to figure out. I'm very curious as to how they get such a sound.
I don't know if it's already been said, but I'd say a lot of their tone comes down to post processing. They're incredible guitarists and sound great live. I'd still wager there's a lot of studio magic involved in getting that tone.

Paul Gilbert

newborn baby
Reaction score

Can’t remember much of process on the album. Axefx with the uberschall or HBE model maybe?? Severe high pass parametric EQ before the drive/amp block. Not sure about cab, most likely something V30/T75 speakers. Maybe another parametric EQ after the cab block with a few upper mid spikes for that annoying half cocked wah tone.

')