After watching...I must own one!

• Thread starter StrykeBack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrykeBack

Reaction score
Well after watching a Muse live concert clip online with his gorgeous 7 string and his cool tuning of AADDGBE...I've got the gas for a 7 string to go along with my ibanez SZ520 and my Agile Baritone.

I love the flat topped really nice Ibanez's without the trem(floyd) or a carvin and hope to find a used one on the cheap.

Anybody help me out or recommend me one? I'm not really into shredding (please don't shoot me yet) but would like to know what you guys all recommend. :wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
There's a lot less shredders here than you'd think, I however AM a shredder. Well, tell us a little more, how much you want to spend, etc... I'm sure everybody here's willing to help.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
Hahaha, I'm more of a melodic metal person myself. A good riff is still a better way to get a point over than a ripping solo. The thing of course is to combine both.

I suspect a hard tail model would suit your lust for altered tunings best, maybe a Schecter could do it.

SevenatoR

Seven String Slinger
Reaction score
I'm a closet shredder. It really only pays to be a "spot shredder" these days, anyway. I try to follow the sage advice: "Shut up and Play yer Guitar" :cool:

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
SevenatoR said:
I'm a closet shredder. It really only pays to be a "spot shredder" these days, anyway. I try to follow the sage advice: "Shut up and Play yer Guitar" :cool:

LOL, yeah, it's fun to just pull something silly fast out of your hat once in a while :shred:
The Schecter 7's seem to be very well liked by their owners, and the Ibanezes are also well repected. If you like your Ibanez you may want to try an RG7621/7641/7631 or something. Carvins are also very nice, but have thicker necks than the Ibanezes (along with far more options).

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've had my eye on either a Schecter C-7 Blackjack or a Carvin for a while.

The Schecter comes with some really nice options stock: Duncan pickups (real ones, not 'Duncan Designed'), extended scale, quality tuners, set neck etc. I haven't played one, but I played a six-string C-1 and definately liked the feel. Felt a bit like a Les Paul to me. The C-7 goes for around $600 new.

I've never played a Carvin, but they're also very well liked. They come with tons of options, and come in at under the $1000 mark.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm an extreme minority, I'm a FULL-ON shredder almost full-time. I do have my soft mooments, I respect the whole "less can be more" thing. But Shredding is just so goddamn fun! Anyway, back to my point. I like thicker necks, I haven't played a Carvin yet but it's next on the list. I feel like I'm going to break something when I'm playing on an Ibanez. ESP, SCHECTER, and HALO man here.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Hawksmoor said:
The thing of course is to combine both.

Thats what i've always done.Practice my sweeping/speed picking and then go practice slayer/testament/ Dark Angel Riffs till my hands fall off.. hehe.

ANyway,
I'd suggest a RG7621, or RG7421. Carvins seem to be popular, or try the new ESP LTD 7 string. A Lot of people can vouch for Schecter, too.

Jason

Forum MVP
Reaction score
how do you like your agile baritone??did you get the blk active one with neck thru ir the passive bolt on greay one??

StrykeBack

Reaction score
how do you like your agile baritone??did you get the blk active one with neck thru ir the passive bolt on greay one??
I got the black one with the actives. they were pretty muddy pickups so I put an emg 81/85 in it and still need to find an SA for the middle, also need to get a new switch because I pretty much fried the old one with soldering. :rant:

I probably would prefer the hard tail just because of the simplicity. Besides I've only been playign since september and need to keep the budget down, mayube I should sell some of my keyboards and pianos that I've had for the last 15 years :shred:

The agile came much better setup then the ibanez did. So far I've just tweaked it a bit but the neck didn't need any work like my SZ. I'l keep a look out for those schecters and others as well.

Any info on the "use of a 7 string" around here that I could read up on?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
StrykeBack said:
Any info on the "use of a 7 string" around here that I could read up on?

We've got some lessons here, but nothing on specifically "so, you've got yourself a seven string... Now what?"

We probably should have one of those, come to think of it. :lol:

I'm on it, give me a week or so to do it properly. :)

-D

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Drew said:
We've got some lessons here, but nothing on specifically "so, you've got yourself a seven string... Now what?"

We probably should have one of those, come to think of it. :lol:

I'm on it, give me a week or so to do it properly. :)

-D

Step 1: Play only power chords on the B string for a good week or so, marvelling at how heavy it sounds.
Step 2: Realize that you're not doing much better than just playing power chords on the E string.
Step 3: Extend all your scale patterns to include the B, and really get to understand what an extra 5th down in any position can give you.

I'd really like an 8-string with a low B and high A - that extended range on both sides of any position could be very, very cool. Unfortunately, seems like most custom makers aren't really into the 8-string business except LGM. and I'm not crazy about the look (and price) of the Leviiithan.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
keithb said:
Step 1: Play only power chords on the B string for a good week or so, marvelling at how heavy it sounds.
Step 2: Realize that you're not doing much better than just playing power chords on the E string.
Step 3: Extend all your scale patterns to include the B, and really get to understand what an extra 5th down in any position can give you.

I'd really like an 8-string with a low B and high A - that extended range on both sides of any position could be very, very cool. Unfortunately, seems like most custom makers aren't really into the 8-string business except LGM. and I'm not crazy about the look (and price) of the Leviiithan.

Ah come on... The Leviathan looks like one sweet guitar. I couldn't get my hands around the neck butit still looks mighty fine.

StrykeBack

Reaction score

One of the main best things about my baritone is how heavy it sounds in Drop B (came B standard but why would i want to do that so I raised everything up but the B, a la, chevelle type stuff)

The best thing I could think about having a 7 string is that you have a mix of a baritone tuning,er um sorry, drop b tuning and can still do all your normal standard guitar stuff by leaving out the low B on the 7th string. But not sure how clean that would sound always having to mute the 7th string for some stuff?

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
StrykeBack said:
The best thing I could think about having a 7 string is that you have a mix of a baritone tuning,er um sorry, drop b tuning and can still do all your normal standard guitar stuff by leaving out the low B on the 7th string. But not sure how clean that would sound always having to mute the 7th string for some stuff?

Sounds awesome, I do it all the time :D

Btw, isn't Muse awesome live? I got to see them in a small-ish club on Halloween last year, it was an amazing show. Probably one of the best I've ever seen.

Hawksmoor

Wannabe Shredder
Reaction score
eleven59 said:
Sounds awesome, I do it all the time :D

Btw, isn't Muse awesome live? I got to see them in a small-ish club on Halloween last year, it was an amazing show. Probably one of the best I've ever seen.

On a good day, they are amazing, but Matt Bellamy has to be " into it". If that isn't the case his chops get sloppy and his singing... well, lets call it "false"etto.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
Hawksmoor said:
On a good day, they are amazing, but Matt Bellamy has to be " into it". If that isn't the case his chops get sloppy and his singing... well, lets call it "false"etto.

I've heard he can be a little unpredictable in more than just his playing, which is sad really because he's amazingly talented.

I guess I'm lucky I caught him on an awesome day :lol:

Latest posts

')