Aftermath vs Blackhawk hellllllllllppppp!!!!

• Thread starter airr
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Khoi

Reaction score
that mix sounds really damn good. wow. fantastic job dude

it was hard for me to choose which I liked more, but I think I'm leaning towards the Aftermaths

Djentliman

wants a diff name!
Reaction score
if you're worried about a bright pup in a bright guitar, i would at least strive for something alnico based to even out the highs. On a side note, i have an Alnico nailbomb in my ash bodied LTD and it sounds killer. not too harsh. not too dark. it is a great all around metal pup and it has a very warm clean sound.

<---you can barely see it in my profile pic.

Whammy

Reaction score
that mix sounds really damn good. wow. fantastic job dude

it was hard for me to choose which I liked more, but I think I'm leaning towards the Aftermaths

Cheers man :flame:
I still can't decide which I prefer. If only they made a pickup halfway between these two :idea:

Redmetal

Reaction score
Hello! I was recently in the same point, And finally i decided to get the Black hawk 7, And i'm pretty happy with them, I think i've made the right choice, I don't have many tests of the pickup tough, the only one that i've got uploaded i didnt put so much effort in the playing, neither in the distortion (guitar rig...) because it was a drum test but if it helps, i'ts ibanez basswood guitar 7 string here it is Prueba baterias: bateria+guitarra by Icarus91 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I vote for the Black hawk!!

captcoolaid

MHD PICKUPS
Reaction score
I say Aftermath. From the few clips i have herd it just seems to have more clarity and individual note seperation. From a winders pov it is a homerun on all fronts.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
The thing that strikes me about almost all demos of the Aftermath, is this incredibly focused sound. You could call it narrow, but it's not in a negative way. It's just tuned to that specific tonality. It's got a very prominent midrange and a really agressive bite, and a tight low end.

This video kinda communicates that sound really well:

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
I think this will be helpful too, since Misha plays with blackhawks in the first clip, and then aftermaths in the second, through the same setup and everything:

Ignoring the fact that it's 6 string VS 7 string, you notice a huge difference there.

Aftermaths seem to really go for that meshuggah-inspired "quack" in the overtones that inspired a whole bunch of "OMG HOW DO I GET DJENT TOANZ" threads a few years ago. If only this had existed then :lol:

CTDguitarist

Reaction score
BlacKat Guitars said:
Hi, Please notice that each guitar has different specs, as Amanita mentioned already: 1. Tiger - Sapele + mahogany neck 2. Leon proto - 2cm maple top on meranti body and mahogany neck 3. Leon white - poplar and maple neck 4. Tiger Baritone - Sapele+mahogany For Rg7321 I'd go with Black Hawk.
is it a ceramic or alnico black hawk? Posted from Sevenstring.org App for Android

Rectionmaarten

Reaction score
I've got a skervesen 6 string with black hawks and I must say I definitely like the black hawks for some riffs (like the djenty bouncy riffs on single strings), but for chugs and fast riffs they sound a bit too bassy by my opinion.
I think the aftermath sounds tighter and also a bit less bright, so more aggressive. I haven't tried them though.

RagtimeDandy

On a Musical Journey
Reaction score
I think full Alnico V Blackhawks would fit extremely well and be well rounded. I have Aftermaths in a basswood guitar and I find them a hair too bright and dry. Agreed that Blackhawks are too flabby for really fast riffing, but they still sound great as far as I'm concerned. I consider the Aftermaths to be the absolute perfect death metal pickups, but I much prefer the versatility and organic sound of the Blackhawks over the very compressed sound of the Aftermaths.

It really depends what you're going for. If you want extremely fast, tight riffing and awesome clarity, get the Aftermaths. If you want versatility and a more organic sound, you can't beat the Blackhawks.

Matt_D_

Reaction score
The only real solution is to buy an identical guitar and put BH's in one, and AM's in the other.

right?

I was in the same boat as you. And was originally going to go for AM's in my RGD. I swapped last minute to some BH's as I wanted a bit more all round versatility as the BH's are amazing clean. It did take me a while to dial in and get used to the bridge (ceramic) pickup, but I'm now really happy with the BH's. I'm keen to lob AM's into my beater squire tele (with p90's!) though for shits and giggles.

Alphanumeric

Reaction score
1. Blackhawks
2. Crunch Lab
3. Aftermath
4. Cold Sweat

Basically the cold sweat doesn't really cut it for anything but djent, its way to high mid and present focused at the cost of being fizzy and having too-tight bass

The aftermath, after having 1, sounds as I expected, cloudy and honky as flep, tight bass, smashy highs, not really a fan.

Crunch lab is the most crushing out of all of them haha, big but not boomy bass, flat mids, and nice smooth highs for melodies/solos sounding sweeter and chords resonating how they should.

Blackhawks sound the best here, grinding, snarling mids, bass as good as the crunch lab except a little more clarity, wicked sparkly highs.

')