Agile 830 Suggestions Needed

• Thread starter ManWithDaPlan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ManWithDaPlan

Reaction score
Hey all, been a while since I came here but it helped me before. I play an Agile Interceptor 830 and I've loved it but there's a couple issues I have with it.

Before I say them, I should say I play a bit unconventionally; I play fingerstyle all the time, clean most of the time and became interested in 8 strings for the extended chord/bassline aspect of playing. This looks like a shameless plug but here's an old link to some of my playing (getting new videos when I get my hd camera) so you can get an idea of the style I go for.

The main difference is I now play through a Traynor K4, a keyboard amp because my amp tech told me that an 8 string, especially during clean sounds is much better through a keyboard amp since they are designed for a wide range of frequencies.

ANYWAYS

1. The distance to the from the bridge to pegs is pushing it. D'addarios reach them fine but I tried a Dunlop pack for instance which was no good. This is in relation too but I'm wanting to get real heavy gauge strings to enhance the low end. The low E in particular sounds weak. The 7th string A sounds amazing and has that perfect bass depth, but for some reason the E is real weak. I thought of getting actual bass strings but they seem too big to fit through the pegs.
- The question is does anyone know where I can find single strings of real big gauges to use? Or will I have to replace the tuning pegs somehow?

2. The pickups aren't terrible but neither are they great, and as you guys all know 8 string pickups aren't exactly common. And even the ones I did find, I don't think I found a single sample using a clean tone lol. Same on youtube. I've heard of using bass pickups and active pickups and both are things I'm interested in but I haven't heard any samples and wonder how it would sound clean. I would like to get a legit bass sound on the lower 2-4 strings though, if that helps.
- Does anyone know of good pickups for 8's that focus on a good clean tone, and if focusing on any range perhaps a bit on the lower range?

That's basically it. I'm looking for a great clean sound out of this guitar and to get a good thick bass sound out of the lower end; that's why I got the extended neck. Anyways, if you guys have any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
D'Addario lets you order singles in every size. If the string's too big for the peg, unwind it til you just have a little slack, enough for a wrap or two.

For pickups, the new D Activator 8s are supposed to sound great in every way, but if you're going for cleans specifically, Q-Tuners are always a good choice, and you can email Tim from Bare Knuckle and basically tell him what you just said, he's a great guy and will give you the low down.

DavidLopezJr

Reaction score
2. The pickups aren't terrible but neither are they great, and as you guys all know 8 string pickups aren't exactly common. And even the ones I did find, I don't think I found a single sample using a clean tone lol. Same on youtube. I've heard of using bass pickups and active pickups and both are things I'm interested in but I haven't heard any samples and wonder how it would sound clean. I would like to get a legit bass sound on the lower 2-4 strings though, if that helps.
- Does anyone know of good pickups for 8's that focus on a good clean tone, and if focusing on any range perhaps a bit on the lower range?
Holy shit, I though you died. How's the album?

You're gonna want to go EMG or what I prefer and you probably will to is getting a pair of Lace Aluimintone Tone Bars. Tosin has a pair in his Strandberg. Very full range sounding pickups. Makes the low end sound more bassy than conventional pickups. There also are q-tuners but I think they are shut down for the year.

helferlain

D.I.Y. autodidact
Reaction score
... I would like to get a legit bass sound on the lower 2-4 strings though...

I would start with heavier gauges. Even if that means drilling or replacing the tuning pegs. At the low end the strings have much more influence on the sound. And it's the main difference from your guitar to a bass guitar (aside fron the longer scale)

The pickups only transport what they get from the strings. Maybe the stock pups are good with different strings?

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
As you use passives you should go with BKPs, as said Tim will tell you what you need. For string to string consistency you should use a good compressor, it'll even out volume between strings (a bass compressor is a good idea as guitar comp tend to cut too much bass out, check the Markbass Compressorre out)

ManWithDaPlan

Reaction score
Thanks. I was thinking of talking to them, I heard a few bareknuckle but all I hear was some people on youtube doing chugga chugga so I got kind of turned off. But a hand designed pickup would be ideal, I just think it would be super expensive. Ideally, I think I would like the low 4 strings to operate on a bass pickup sort of range (and change the tuners) with the top 8 being standard guitar pickups/whatnot.

I've heard of the EMG bass thing, I've just been very apprehensive because honestly I know they are notorious for being a metal pickup company. But I will look into it at least, if they are good at the full range. I know it's idealistic but I don't want pickups that are good at just one frequency range.

As far as the album goes, it is almost done I promise, it's just taken so long because it is self-funded from a college student, on top of being a meticulous perfectionist. I got Travis Orbin to record the drum parts (look him up on youtube if unfamiliar, a great drummer) and I'm excited to release it but I want it to be as good as possible since I feel first impressions count for a lot.

Lastly, honestly how do you unwind strings? I feel the problem would show itself at both the peg and the bridge (less at the bridge), but if it's possible to keep the pegs then I would prefer that.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
BKP do all kind of pickups from vintage to overkill so don't be put off by the djenters on Youtube :D
I guess any low to mid output BKP will do what you want, some of the more PAFish BKP might work the best but I'm not Tim so ask him :D

proto

Reaction score
I have an 830 as well, you might try a single elixer on the lowest string. It stays pretty snappy for quite awhile longer other brands. I ordered some bkp emeralds from Nick at axepalace - I'll let you know how turns out

celticelk

Reaction score
Keyboard amps are great for covering a wide frequency range, but they also lack some of the character that we generally associate with guitar amps. My solution to this, as someone who also plays a lot of clean guitar, is to run a Tech 21 Blonde, which simulates a variety of Fender amps, into a Peavey keyboard amp with a 15" speaker. (I should admit that my particular setup was due in large part to already having the Peavey on hand, and being dissatisfied with the 8-string through my 5-watt Blackheart.)

Tosin's Alumitone pickups are actually a variant on the standard ToneBar, which you would probably have to order directly from Lace if you can get them at all, but the standard BassBar 4.0 and the 10-string ToneBar should both fit into your current guitar with no extra routing needed.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
for what you want saving up for a WARR guitar sounds like an option, too. they are quite expensive, though. but beautiful instruments and perfectly suited for fingerstyle.

anne

No privacy hedge.
Reaction score
For string to string consistency you should use a good compressor, it'll even out volume between strings (a bass compressor is a good idea as guitar comp tend to cut too much bass out, check the Markbass Compressorre out)

Why not just calculate even string tensions and slant the pup height?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
To be honest, I thought all of my strings sounded vaguely weak with the stock pups although I rather liked the voicing they provided. I switched to DiMarzio DA-8s and for the moment I rather like them.

I find it odd that your B sounds good but the E does not, but hey... I have different ears... :shrug:

I don't know how helpful going up in gauge on a baritone scale guitar will be. I don't think it'll make your strings sound any "stronger" per se. I'd suggest trying a pickup swap and playing with the pole pieces/pickup height.`

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I have an 830 as well, you might try a single elixer on the lowest string. It stays pretty snappy for quite awhile longer other brands. I ordered some bkp emeralds from Nick at axepalace - I'll let you know how turns out

BKP Emerald for the motha fuckin' win! :hbang:

Metastasize

Reaction score
I use GHS Boomers and they go all the way up to .090. I have one of them because I wasn't sure if the .080 would be thick enough for a low E, although I haven't tried it out yet. They don't really fit the pegs though in my Agile so you'd either have to drill it out to be bigger or do what I did and wrap do a lot of wrapping. It kind of looks like a millipede wrapped around the tuning peg, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on it.

GHS Dynamite Alloy (Boomers) Guitar Single Strings

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
Neat stuff, MWDP!

I'm a huge fan of using my two Agiles for clean playing. You're right to use a keyboard amp. A lot of people believe that using an amp famed for "clean electric guitar" tones is truly clean, but such amps generally impose an electric guitar characteristic sound on what goes through them.

I prefer a more acoustic sound, so I use a higher end Boss Acoustic Instrument Processor like the AD-8 to add acoustic character to my electric. By plugging one's electric into the piezo input, one can add and dial in the exact body resonance to sound like an acoustic. The higher end acoustic simulators also don't add noise like, say, the AC-3.

At both 28.625" and 25.5", I am now using the Ernie Ball 2837 set for 30" six-string bass, and adding a high .012 and .016 at the top end. I tune (low to high) EADGCFAD. Thanks to the taper on the lowest string above the nut, I don't have to unwind the lowest .090 string, but do have to unwind the .074 for the A.

On all my ERGs, (two Intrepids and two FM408s), in order to intonate at least the E1, I've had to order a shorter bridge saddle from Hipshot. They don't stock them on their site, but I called, and got them in the mail shortly afterwards. If I hadn't bought a lot of these, working in full fifths would never have intonated correctly. You play the Interceptor, so I don't know what options you have for intonating lower notes. Maybe someone can chime in with Kahler experience.

On my 828 with the Cepheus passives, I currently have an order in for a pair of D-Activators. I'm actually fairly pleased with the Cepheus pickups, and I'm aware that the D-Activators will add a certain tonal coloring, but I'm hoping it will be okay for acoustic simulation. I'll also be adding a Fender-style TBX tone control, which will act as the normal treble roll-off in one direction, and as a bass roll-off in the other.

If you should try the Alumitones, be sure to avoid any "humbucker" styles which are not the Bass Bars. The Alumitone "humbuckers" are designed to color the sound like a Gibson-y humbucker, with a high end roll-off. The Bass Bars can be used in slide/steel guitars for full response across the full range of 8-10 strings. They're not near the size of the Cepheus pickups, which is why I went for the Dimarzios instead, but if they made a drop-in, non-"humbucker" Alumitone, I'd be all over it.

Unfortunately, Q-Tuner is not currently in production, and won't be until 2012, so it's no good just waiting unless you're okay with what you have right now.

I've read a lot of reviews about BKPs and other brands, and it's been interesting to read of those pickups' tonal negatives now that D-Activator 8s are available.

It's interesting to see someone else doing non-chug on an 8. Thanks for posting about that....

ManWithDaPlan

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. The Warr guitars look cool but honestly... I'm not a fan of chapman stick-esque guitars. A bit of a controversial opinion here but I think once the flash and showmanship of the touch guitars has set in, it just sounds like a piano with bad hammers or something.

Those string suggestions look great, the Ernie Ball pack looks right up my alley. I'll also check out the GHS boomers. It never really occurred to me to check out baritone sets but hopefully I can find some goodness there.

I think that maybe a lot of the pickups that are available aren't necessarily 'bad' but it's hard for me to get into it when all the samples are typical chug. I'll have to check out these bass bars though.

My main tuning I use is E A E A C# F# C# E but when I'm playing for other people I just do E A E A D G B E. Right now the A sounds great, probably cause it wasn't too hard to find a big gauge for that one, but I think the E right now is on an 80.. maaaaybe. Honestly... it's been probably 3/4ths a year since I changed those low two strings so I can't remember.

')