Agile 9-String....

• Thread starter techjsteele
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gameboypdc

Reaction score
Such a beautiful 9 string build and my only request would be, please make a 30' scale model. I remember how excited I was when I saw that someone posted a picture of this build just before it's release. I also know there is a argument over the price and quality throughout this thread. I'm aware that Agile guitars can sometimes be a hit or miss for some folks, but for the price and overall satisfaction of the customer I would say Kurt and Rondo Music really hit the nail on the head this time. Let's see some videos of this bad boy in action.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
When I saw that e-mail from Rondomusic yesterday, I was like hooooly shiiiiit !!!:hbang::scream:
I think this guitar looks really nice!

What do you guys think would be a practical tuning if I don't want to add a higher string and keep the high 6 strings like a regular guitar?
The tuning suggested on the site would not be much lower than that on my 8 string Intrepid which has a low F#.
How low could this possibly go? Would the scale be too short for anything lower than that low E (same as a bass guitar low E)?
Also, I have no idea how this would work in terms of sound, if distortion is on anything much lower than that E might get way too muddy, or not? Anybody have experience with this?
Because if this guitar comes out with 2PUs I might really be interested (well, I'm already now).

Either way, it's great Kurt is making these and I also think the price is such a bargain!!!! (as it was for mf Intrepid).

Lars

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
When I saw that e-mail from Rondomusic yesterday, I was like hooooly shiiiiit !!!:hbang::scream:
I think this guitar looks really nice!

What do you guys think would be a practical tuning if I don't want to add a higher string and keep the high 6 strings like a regular guitar?
The tuning suggested on the site would not be much lower than that on my 8 string Intrepid which has a low F#.
How low could this possibly go? Would the scale be too short for anything lower than that low E (same as a bass guitar low E)?
Also, I have no idea how this would work in terms of sound, if distortion is on anything much lower than that E might get way too muddy, or not? Anybody have experience with this?
Because if this guitar comes out with 2PUs I might really be interested (well, I'm already now).

Either way, it's great Kurt is making these and I also think the price is such a bargain!!!! (as it was for mf Intrepid).

Lars

I think the 9 is not really about getting massive low end and riffing on two of the strings all the time like most people with an 8 play. That tuning encourages independent bass and guitar lines so this has a lot more potential as a hybrid instrument for developing cool new techniques rather than just playing metal.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I think the 9 is not really about getting massive low end and riffing on two of the strings all the time like most people with an 8 play. That tuning encourages independent bass and guitar lines so this has a lot more potential as a hybrid instrument for developing cool new techniques rather than just playing metal.
The second i see some kid on youtube with one of these tuned C#F#BEADGBE or even the standard tuning it ships with riding on the low strings playing only the lowest frets and open notes I will rage.

Santuzzo

Reaction score

Yes, I see what you mean. I personally would prefer a guitar like Charlie Hunter plays for that kind of stuff. Then having seperate outputs for the 'bass part' and the 'guitar part' would make sense, too, I think. Of course, all this kind of stuff would make the guitar much more expensive.
Another thing: IMO for 'real' bass playing the bass strings are too close to each other.
Just my 2cents.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
Yes, I see what you mean. I personally would prefer a guitar like Charlie Hunter plays for that kind of stuff.
IMO for 'real' bass playing the bass strings are too close to each other.
Just my 2cents.
For "real" bass playing most people use a bass :cool:.
This guitar could be useful for a variety of different playing techniques, and I'm considering picking one of these up to use as a touchstyle instrument.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
For "real" bass playing most people use a bass :cool:.
Well, check out Charlie Hunter, in case you haven't.

This guitar could be useful for a variety of different playing techniques, and I'm considering picking one of these up to use as a touchstyle instrument.

I absolutely agree on this, regardless of whether or not you want to use it as a hybrid. I would be very interested in one of these as well, I'm just trying to figure out what kind of tuning would make most sense for me personally.:yesway:

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Mine's on the way! NGD coming soon guys!

xmetalhead69

Unexpected Ally
Reaction score
I remember the days when a 7 string guitar was a rarity... and a few short years now they're making production 9 strings... It does my heart good *sniff*..

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
What do you guys think would be a practical tuning if I don't want to add a higher string and keep the high 6 strings like a regular guitar? The tuning suggested on the site would not be much lower than that on my 8 string Intrepid which has a low F#. How low could this possibly go? Would the scale be too short for anything lower than that low E (same as a bass guitar low E)?

Since my Intrepid Pro has Ab0 as the lowest note (half step below lowest note on a piano), and since this has the same scale length as mine, I have no doubt that it could reach that note.

I'm considering getting one to tune like an extension of my combination guitar/bass (B0 E1 A1 D2 G2 C3 F3 A3 D4). I've considered full fourths more than once, but there are too many useful guitar voicings I already know in standard tuning, and I hesitate to toss those all away by changing that interval at the top end to a fourth. If I wanted to use it for normal playing in any way, instead of just touchstyle, it's just too problematic.

Whatever I would tune it to, though, there's no way to do the full fifths thing from my Intrepid Pro unless I add a low Db0 below that low Ab0. For once, I'm hesitant to push the limits, because I don't even think I have an amp capable of moving that kind of air....

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
Just found out this morning, had to get here to what the ssorg guys think, you people don't disappoint, my brain was stuck in neutral but not anymore, thanks!

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
I remember the days when a 7 string guitar was a rarity... and a few short years now they're making production 9 strings... It does my heart good *sniff*..

This totally took me by surprise! When I was your age, I thought that the only way to make a nine string guitar would have been either multiscale or lead strings. Now there is a production nine! :woohoo:

I've had some of Garry's strings and tuned them up really high, but yes, they do seem to stretch out over a much longer time than plain strings.

I wonder if Wes Borland got ahold of a nine string, if he'd tune it DGCFADDDD :lol:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Since my Intrepid Pro has Ab0 as the lowest note (half step below lowest note on a piano), and since this has the same scale length as mine, I have no doubt that it could reach that note.

Holy crap! What are you using for that Ab0 string?

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
emh.. 700 bucks? I can build a custom of same quality for that money. well, that includes a pup handwound by me, else (woods, hardware etc.) should fit. I mean for that damage speaking of me Ill have to make it myself. Else the guitars gonna be 800+ if you buy Oni, etc. Guitar doesnt even feature a stain, top, inlays - none of costy handwork stuff .. dunno.

Are you Eric DeVries?

Latest posts

')