Agile 9-String....

• Thread starter techjsteele
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rippedflesh89

Reaction score
not interested... 9 strings sound like overkill.... i loooove my 7 string and have now decided to be pretty much an exclusive 7 string player.... i want an 8 string to fuck around with in the future as well... but fuck 9 strings... 8 is enough

troyguitar

Reaction score
Looks cool, I'm glad they got around to it. I like my 9's better, but I just don't have time to make them for other people so it's good to see a <$1000 option out there.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
I was writing a few "cello" parts today (POG2 slow attack on dry, run through DigiVerb), and I don't see how this is too many strings. When I want to grab a note below the low E1, that's what I want, and when I want to play above the 12th fret on the high D4 string, that also is what I want.

I like how it's been suggested that one wouldn't miss that added range if just downtuning/uptuning on an instrument with less strings. I suspect it's because the person suggesting can't imagine a context in which to utilize that full range, and also can't imagine someone else's needs being different from theirs. Interesting....

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
I like how it's been suggested that one wouldn't miss that added range if just downtuning/uptuning on an instrument with less strings. I suspect it's because the person suggesting can't imagine a context in which to utilize that full range, and also can't imagine someone else's needs being different from theirs. Interesting....

I for one, would lLOVE to have the option for more range, even though I can't utilize all of it. I think of it as a "more bang for your buck" deal.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
I love the idea the same way I love the idea of extended range in an 8 string...but I would definitely need a multiscale neck to handle this fucker. and with 9 I'd would definately go with the extra lower string and one higher, going lower than F# in the distorted guitar world IS overkill.

Double A

Subhuman
Reaction score
and I don't see how this is too many strings. When I want to grab a note below the low E1, that's what I want, and when I want to play above the 12th fret on the high D4 string, that also is what I want.
It is too many strings for me. I understand how others would utilize this guitar but I just am not into it (although, I was always not into sevens either...) If you are than more power to you.

TemjinStrife

Power Metal Cellist
Reaction score

My reason for that assertion is generally, my experience with 90% of people who add more strings spend more and more time on *just* those added low strings, and if you are looking to add a low C# on such a guitar as the one listed, you would be hitting a very difficult compromise of tension, string gauge, timbre, and playing action.

In my experience, even an 8 string with high A or low F# is a big compromise in terms of tension and timbre on one end of the scale or the other without fanned frets.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
^^^^well put. That's why I would need a multiscale. I would find it hard to play lead passages at 27" or 28.6xxxxx(I had a hard enough time at it on the 26.5" hellraiser I had for all of a week for that same issue) and the tension the F#(or lower if I tune it to meet the same intervals down a step) is too light for me to play articulate rhythm lines. I need somewhere along the lines of 25.5-27.5/28.5 to make it work with an 8 string, probably even smaller scale on the treble side to feel comfortable with that added higher string. I would definately not be the asshole chugging away on the lowest bass string just cus I could. I like some lead wankery too.

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
^^^^well put. That's why I would need a multiscale. I would find it hard to play lead passages at 27" or 28.6xxxxx(I had a hard enough time at it on the 26.5" hellraiser I had for all of a week for that same issue) and the tension the F#(or lower if I tune it to meet the same intervals down a step) is too light for me to play articulate rhythm lines. I need somewhere along the lines of 25.5-27.5/28.5 to make it work with an 8 string, probably even smaller scale on the treble side to feel comfortable with that added higher string. I would definately not be the asshole chugging away on the lowest bass string just cus I could. I like some lead wankery too.

Were you playing in standard 440hz tuning on that 26.5? I have heard wonderful things about 27" scale guitars, but I really love being able to bend 3 semitones (or higher) on my current 25.5 and just really like the feel of the strings and cannot stand bending when the tension across the strings really fights me when I bend, but I was wondering if most people with ERG scale necks combatted the extra tension by tuning down a semitone or two so that you still receive increased tautness and tension on the lower strings (B, F# et c) without compromising too much the ability to play lead guitar and bend?

It is a very novice question, but if someone could answer that for me, I would be greatly appreciative.

NaYoN

Heavy Blog Is Heavy
Reaction score
Were you playing in standard 440hz tuning on that 26.5? I have heard wonderful things about 27" scale guitars, but I really love being able to bend 3 semitones (or higher) on my current 25.5 and just really like the feel of the strings and cannot stand bending when the tension across the strings really fights me when I bend, but I was wondering if most people with ERG scale necks combatted the extra tension by tuning down a semitone or two so that you still receive increased tautness and tension on the lower strings (B, F# et c) without compromising too much the ability to play lead guitar and bend?

It is a very novice question, but if someone could answer that for me, I would be greatly appreciative.

Well I can't bend to save my life on my 8, but then again it's a 30'', so that's to be expected :D

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

I think you're forgetting about string gauge and it's effect on tension.

On my 27" and beyond guitars, for the top three or four strings I'd go at least one gauge lighter so that that would have close to the same feel as my preferred 25.5" scale guitars. There's a slight trade off in tone at times (thinner strings and all), but it wasn't too bad.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
and for reference, tuning in standard or half step down has no bearing on A440 hz. An A will still be 440 hz whether you're tuned down or not.

LamaSabachthani

Reaction score
and for reference, tuning in standard or half step down has no bearing on A440 hz. An A will still be 440 hz whether you're tuned down or not.

Yes ... I appear to have forgotten very basic physics. My enormous mistake for trying to sound cool and technical and then looking like a total cock. I did however mean 'standard tuning' by that as A440 appears to be a byword for standard tuning (at least, I've heard it used as that fairly often - even that is technically incorrect).

Nonetheless, I don't expect too many people were thrown by it.

Also - wanted to ask the chap up there who said he takes his strings down a gauge - what do you usually use? I would ideally not like to go much lower than .009 which is what I use now (although I could obviously buy individual strings, it is vaguely impractical and not quite as easy as just buying a 10-pack of 9s) and I find that the thickness of the bass strings (treble being the bottom three aka GBE, correct?) to be a wee bit too thin already for aggressive picking or palm-muting ... I know thicker strings are meant to be reputed to 'fatten' up your sound a bit, and I'm not necessarily so incredibly discerning that I'm complaining about the sound of the thinner strings, but it definitely feels like my pick should be attacking something a bit more substantial.

Anyways man, if you could answer that question as well I'd appreciate it. Definitely want to try and ERG but noone in my local area seems to have any in stores, as I suppose they are something of a niche market.

EDIT: do intend to switch up to a heavier string gauge in future to tighten up the B so perhaps that might alleviate any trouble I'm having with the tautness of the strings.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
intrepid928rnnat5.jpg

That's completely unnecessary... why do I still want one? :lol:

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score

I used a standard daddario 10 set for 7 string tuned down a step. it wasn't the tension that was the problem for me, but the change in fingering position(however minute it may seem to be) when playing leads. Muscle memory was set to 25.5 an I kept getting tripped up trying to play the schecter. The same thing more or less happens when I go to a 24.75 scale guitar...though not so bad. It's all just about muscle memory and comfort. I might also note that I have average to just larger than average hands, and it was still uncomfortable. Rhythm playing wasn't a problem though

Latest posts

')