Agile Guitars (LP Style)

• Thread starter txguitarslinger
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
My understanding is the same as soliloquy's, the 3500 and up have a 3/4" solid maple cap. The 3100's and others are either solid mahagony (if noted) or mahagony with a maple veneer, I don't think it's a veneer on top of a piece of maple on top of mahogany. I have the 3100 root beer and I think it looks, sounds and plays great (even better when I get my orange drops and Tom Short pickups installed). But having taken it apart already it appears from the electronics cavity to be mahogany with just the maple veneer on top.

But like someone else said, maybe getting one with the 3/4" cap is possible from the factory as something they just let slip by.

orb.......

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
I think this link explains the comparisons across the board for the AL's:

http://www.rondomusic.com/alspec.html

So on all but one or two models it's just a very thin veneer (matches up with what I found when taking mine apart) and only one model with a 3/4" cap. The others just have varying grades of maple veneer (i.e. A Grade, AA Grade, etc).

orb......

txguitarslinger

Reaction score

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
I just got a SX NGG1, bolt on, lp shaped, 24 fret, floyd type tremelo for $139. It's controls and switch placement is Fenderish which seemed like a good idea to me I chose it over the Agile which has the more traditional Gibson control knob placement. A lot of guitar-snob types would probably would hate on it without ever trying it but it does the job, it rocks! If I could have my own signature guitar this would be it only it would be white and have 7 strings. (I'll probably get the Agile later, anyway.)

bulletbass man

Classical & Metal
Reaction score
I've played an agile and an edwards side by side and the Edwards was definitely a step above the agile. However the Agile was quite a bit cheaper though.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the Edwards guitars are more akin to the Epiphone Elitists--they're both made in the Fujigen plant in Japan, as a matter of fact. They're also typically *at least* as nice as a production Gibson.

For a budget line, the Agiles are a great deal--not shite guitars at all.

ugmung

Banned
Reaction score
yeah, occasionally Kurt messes up while putting specs up, but it happens with the big dogs. it's not a big deal because it doesn't happen often. i emailed about the Spad's, to check if they were really alder, and he checked and it was basswood, so he changed it on the site.

anyway, if he clearly states that it's a maple top, then it's a maple tops. and from what i understand, caps and tops are different. not entirely sure on that one though.

if you're not sure, you can verify with Kurt if you would like... he's quick on getting back to people.

just ordered my AL-2000! :hbang:

soliloquy

Reaction score
yeah, occasionally Kurt messes up while putting specs up, but it happens with the big dogs. it's not a big deal because it doesn't happen often. i emailed about the Spad's, to check if they were really alder, and he checked and it was basswood, so he changed it on the site.

anyway, if he clearly states that it's a maple top, then it's a maple tops. and from what i understand, caps and tops are different. not entirely sure on that one though.

if you're not sure, you can verify with Kurt if you would like... he's quick on getting back to people.

just ordered my AL-2000! :hbang:

yes, caps are different than tops. tops are flames, or quilt, of plain top. they usually come with a veneer hand in hand. the caps on the other side are a huge chunk of wood that is pasted on the top of the guitar, where all the hardware is.

and kurt isnt exactly mis-guiding its market either. he is right, that it uses 100% real wood top(as supposed to photo top). the maple cap on 3000/3100 is just the bonus that some guitars get out of random.

orb451

Banned
Reaction score
To guitarslinger, I really like the SX STL Ash (the Tele copy I mentioned). I had a beat up MIM Tele and it was decent but this blows it away in terms of playability and it cost me $119. Granted I upgraded to locking tuners and put a bunch more stuff on there (you can see before/after pics in my photo album on here).

orb......

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
Ive been thinking of getting a custom 7 string AL-3100 as Ive been gassing for
a LP-7, with longer scale of course.

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
I'm no luthier or engineer but I'm wondering if the Agile 2500 12 string could be converted to a 7 string since I am assuming the 12 string neck is wide enough to accomodate 7 strings and changing out the nut, modify the bridge, and some routing (if necessary) and drop in a pair of decent 7 string pickups because I'm jonesing for a LP7 but there are none around. Hmmmm??

thedonutman

Reaction score
I'm no luthier or engineer but I'm wondering if the Agile 2500 12 string could be converted to a 7 string since I am assuming the 12 string neck is wide enough to accomodate 7 strings and changing out the nut, modify the bridge, and some routing (if necessary) and drop in a pair of decent 7 string pickups because I'm jonesing for a LP7 but there are none around. Hmmmm??

The nut width is about 45mm according to Rondomusic. To give a rough idea, the Ibanez RG1527 has a 48mm nut width.

I imagine you could do it if you really wanted, but you'd end up with tight string spacing and a weird looking headstock. Plus getting a new bridge and pickups would cost alot.

You're better off finding a Dean EVO7 or a Epiphone LP7 IMO.

soliloquy

Reaction score

the spacing would be a lil sodomized. example, 6 of your strings would be spaced fine, the 7th one would be a tad bit too close to the other string, so you'd constantly keep hitting it accidentally. 12s play a little like 6 strings with a thicker neck.

though, there have been some people that use an acoustic 12 string as a 7 string. again, spacing is off, and it plays more of less like a 6 string, but you get the sound from it.

best to just go with either a custom 7 string AL, or just get a 7 string.

jufob

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for the informed responses and my apology to the original poster for this diversion although I'm playing more standard 6's now because of an injured thumb and hope to be back on my 7's painfree soon.

cpnhowdy

Reaction score
that would be amazing. maybe a 26.5"? or more?

either 26.5 or 27" , the price on Agile customs seem very reasonable. Wonder if a BKP Nailbomb bridge and a Cold Sweat Neck would fit a 7 AL-3100 well in that spec.

bobblues4ever

Reaction score
I have the Dauntless, and the AL300M, the Dauntless is WAY better than any EPI I've had or played, and the 3000M beats the crap out of my 1971 Gibson LP Standard Goldtop for 1/5th the cost !!! plays like a professional instrument, your limits are your skills. B

Latest posts

')