Agile Interceptor 8 strings!

• Thread starter troyguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these options would make you buy one (or more) of these guitars?

• Standard (bolt-on) at 25.5" - Pro (neck-thru) at 27"

Votes: 78 53.4%
  • Pro (neck-thru) at 25.5" - Standard (bolt-on) at 27"

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • Neither one. This is a stupid idea.

Votes: 27 18.5%

• Total voters

daos_27

Reaction score
Exciting News!

Kurt and I are working on specs for a pair of 8-string Interceptors! :shred:

This is a follow-up poll to the discussion which took place in this thread:

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ex...st-in-an-agile-8-string-for-lead-players.html

The plan is to offer a Standard (bolt-on) and a Pro (neck-thru) model.

The common specs to both will be:
Kahler USA Hybrid tremelo
24 frets, 16" fretboard radius
Dual Cepheus Pickups

The Standard will feature a mahogany body and solid color finishes, perhaps these three:
White w/ Gold Hardware, Ebony/Rosewood fretboard (classic Randy Rhoads scheme)
Bright Red w/ Black Hardware, Maple Fretboard (looks like Ibanez RG550 or a Jackson/Charvel/ESP shredder)
Basic Black w/ Black Hardware, Rosewood fretboard for the boring folks

The Pro will feature an alder body with a flame or quilt top and trans finishes, most likely with the choice between natural and perhaps trans blue/black. Fretboards will most likely be maple on natural and rosewood on colors.

I'm interested to hear opinions on finishes, but here's the main question I have for this poll:

Regarding scale length - A number of people have expressed interest in 25.5" whilst others are adamantly opposed to it. What Kurt and I are considering is to compromise by doing one of the following (please don't suggest making all 4 variations, the market just is not big enough yet):

Offer the Standard in 25.5" and the Pro in 27"
Offer the Pro in 25.5" and the Standard in 27"

I think the first option is better since the bolt-on is likely to have better definition in the lower register due to its construction so that will work to offset the concern people have about the scale being too short. Am I right? Vote/discuss away!

I don't know if this will help or hurt, but I made a REALLY ugly mockup of the white Standard in MS Paint. If anyone has skill with real mockups, feel free to contact me to donate your skills!

I would seriously recommend you do not use Alder! Alder has a very thin sound which would make the bottom end sound shit in a 7 string let alone an 8 i would not use Alder on anything... Stick with Mahogany or Ash. You can not go wrong with either and all Ash woods are pretty good quality and tend to be almost as light in weight as Alder but again Alder would be too light and the thing would be neck heavy... Really dont think it would work!

Lastly i think you should use the flat mount kahlers not the pivoting kahlers and please make a few avaiable in Lefty with kahler trems at 27" scale the 25.5 makes no sense unless the users want to tune it like a 7 string with one extra high string on the bottom...

They should all have the option of passive or active pickups and no more single bridge pickup only guitars! Cheers~

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cvinos

Banned
Reaction score
I'd like it to be 27". Finish a see through black on ash body. Black hardware. Neck through, definitely. Ebony fretboard. Passive pickups.

Well I'd also prefer a fixed bridge string through model.

G0DLESSENDEAVOR

Reaction score
I voted standard at a scale of 25.5 and pro at 27, there should be more length to the scale as these are eight strings, not fender strat's anymore. 27 to 30 is the best for an extended guitar. Of course I could just order a custom like I've being planning on but I want to experiment with Agile's first.
I'd also go with darren's comment on the combination of wood's. The white solid or quilted top with gold hardware is a great option. I'm in love with Steve Vai's white jem and those option's will be the closest to an extended guitar.

J-Twin

Extended-Range Dreamer
Reaction score
So anyone have any idea how long these pre orders generally last? i.e. when do I have to sign up by?

Has anyone heard when the cut-off date is for getting in on this run?

Also, the Kahler 2228K is a studmount, right? :scratch: I was hoping for the flatmount. :shrug:

vansinn

Reaction score
^ according to Kahler, Tremolo and Bridge Specifications, the 2228 is a studmount; dunno if the 'K' version is different.

Apart from (me also) preferring flat rather than stud mount, another thing puzzeling me is the claimed need for a 15" radius due to the Kahler; in my book a flatter radius would be much preferable on a shredder axe.
AFAIK, Kahlers can be adjusted to a larger radius range, though the above page only says 'adjustable', not by how much (think I've seen this mentioned somewhere, but can't locate it).

EDIT: Thanks Troy, forgot to think nuts ;)

troyguitar

Reaction score
The bridge is indeed the studmount version. I believe K denotes the color.

Regarding the radius: The bridge is adjustable to a certain extent, but the range of its adjustment is centered at 15" and the locking nuts are made for a 15" radius so the only way to get a flatter radius would be to do a compound 15" - XX" (more $$$) or to have the locking nuts modified (not gonna happen unless you do it yourself).

15" is a relatively flat radius though... Warmoths standard compound radius is 10 - 16, Fender uses like 9.5, Gibson uses 12, and Jackson uses 12 - 16 or 14 - 16.

BAUOOOW
Reaction score
I too would like to know when the cut-off is - I'm scraping the money together for a deposit on a standard!!!!!

~006+1(2?)

It was April 9 - TODAY :(((((((((((((

kurtzentmaier

Reaction score
Ok, had to cut orders off so we could get production done in time for the July ship date. People who put orders in ordered:

Interceptor Pro 8 Nat 27"
Interceptor Pro 8 Nat 25"
Interceptor Standard 8 Maple Fretboard 27" Scale Lizard Burst
Interceptor Standard 8 Maple Fretboard 25.5" Scale Lizard Burst
Interceptor Standard 8 Rosewood Fretboard 27" Scale Black Flame
Septor (fixed bridge with Interceptor Body Style) 27" Scale Nat Ash
Septor (fixed bridge with Interceptor Body Style) 27" Scale Blue Flame

People voted with their wallets, so that's what we will produce in the first run. I will make a few extras of each type in case any flaws are found that the factory misses. There may be some extras available based on that for sale in July. Pricing is comming in higher than expected (my fault for rushing to try to have these ready for July) so those that got in on this received a one time low price. Depending on your comments and how these work out, we can start taking deposits for the next batch at the end of July or Early August.

Thanks everyone!
kurt

Dethfield

Advanced Prototype
Reaction score
i may be in the minority here, but the one thing i really want for an agile 8 string is abalone dot inlays on the maple necks. I dislike the lack of inlays :(

Meshugger

Reaction score
...and i want a Tribal Red 8-string Interceptor with a reverse headstock and a rosewood/ebony fretboard. For some reason, i do not like the maple fretboard.

/crosses fingers for the next Interceptor run :flame:

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
...and i want a Tribal Red 8-string Interceptor with a reverse headstock and a rosewood/ebony fretboard. For some reason, i do not like the maple fretboard.

/crosses fingers for the next Interceptor run :flame:

I agree about the reversed headstock, but for me the "coolness" factor in a reverse comes from the angle. to me, the straight run of the strings on the Agile reverse makes it look pretty similar to the standard. I absolutely love the Jackson reverse, though.

')