Agile Interceptor 8 strings!

• Thread starter troyguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these options would make you buy one (or more) of these guitars?

• Standard (bolt-on) at 25.5" - Pro (neck-thru) at 27"

Votes: 78 53.4%
  • Pro (neck-thru) at 25.5" - Standard (bolt-on) at 27"

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • Neither one. This is a stupid idea.

Votes: 27 18.5%

• Total voters

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I knew I was forgetting something that makes the Interceptor what it is. A carved top! Wasn't completely sure how to pull that off in Photoshop, but here's a stab at it on a 27" Natural Pro. I also have a dark stain effect that I'm working on that's looking somewhat interesting. Fancy tops will be needed as well, though I always like the look of the neck thru wood showing through too.

27_pro_natural.jpg
Gorgeous. Ebony board on the pro models=YES!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
Untitled-2.jpg

that was my vision of the original agile 8, maybe this can be the model for the interceptor 8.

Pay no attention to the wood/construction of the one, its just a quick mockup.

for the standard I was thinking alder or maybe ash body wood, maple neck, maple and rosewood fretboards, maybe dual and single pickuped versions

somn

Reaction score
I've noticed alot of people are dreaming of a ERG 8 string carve toped blood burst. if ur doing this for everyone try considering this alot of us here want a black, bloodburst, or some bright color. A 27 and 30 scale seems just right as those custom high A string would still work at a 27 scale.

J-Twin

Extended-Range Dreamer
Reaction score
I knew I was forgetting something that makes the Interceptor what it is. A carved top!

Oh, yes, I forgot to mention that, too. I'm highly in favor of a carved top. :yesway: I believe the existing Interceptor body is flat enough on top to still use the flat mount Kahler, but I could be wrong.

I think binding would be great, too.

I love the 4x4 tuner arrangement, rather than the inverted in-lines I've seen on other Interceptors.

Would it be possible to have three knobs: vol/vol/tone? I'd like that and a sliding selector switch.

djohns74

Reaction score
Here's the latest mock-ups I've been working on. The first three are essentially based on existing Interceptor models since most of those seem to be fairly popular. I went with a generic quilt top to get the idea of Tribal Blue and Red variants and a transparent black over flame top.

Bloodburst, at least how the actual finish looks on the Intrepids, is proving a difficult one to pull off, so I came up with a really dark red over the flame top that I think looks pretty neat. Finally, I liked Darren's Lizardburst a lot and was sorry it didn't make the final cut, so I decided to attempt a flame top version here for kicks.

27_blue_quilt.jpg

27_red_quilt.jpg

27_black_flame.jpg

27_blood_flame.jpg

27_lizard_flame.jpg

Urbane

Reaction score
that last one looks awesome actually

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
They all look good. The Lizard Burst looks absolutely fantastic with that body shape and the maple fretboard.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
Here's the latest mock-ups I've been working on. The first three are essentially based on existing Interceptor models since most of those seem to be fairly popular. I went with a generic quilt top to get the idea of Tribal Blue and Red variants and a transparent black over flame top.

Bloodburst, at least how the actual finish looks on the Intrepids, is proving a difficult one to pull off, so I came up with a really dark red over the flame top that I think looks pretty neat. Finally, I liked Darren's Lizardburst a lot and was sorry it didn't make the final cut, so I decided to attempt a flame top version here for kicks.

27_blue_quilt.jpg

27_black_flame.jpg

27_lizard_flame.jpg
OMFGYES!!
Please make lizardburst. Please make lizardburst. I WANT.

Sir Euric

8 strings of lore
Reaction score
I would definitely buy the black flame and the lizard burst, if they ever make them:yesway::shred:

amassivetree

Reaction score
Those all look great! I esp like the tribal red, dark red, and black, but would be happy with any of them.

J-Twin

Extended-Range Dreamer
Reaction score
Is it just me or do some Interceptors have pointer horns? Personally, I'm partial to the more rounded ones, or even Agile's PS body. Also, from the pics of Interceptor 7-strings w/ Floyds I think the top is flat enough for the Kahler.
interceptorpro27trd1.jpg
interceptorpro25blackflame1.jpg
ps924tribalgreen1a.jpg

Thanks for making those mock ups, Dave. They look awesome! :metal:

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think it was the second or third run of Interceptors, they went with more of a "Soloist" style body than the "RG" style body. I like these ones a lot as well, but to be honest, i think the pointier horns suit the overall design a bit better, with the angular, pointy headstock.

Rommel

Reaction score
I like the pointier horns on the current Septors/Interceptors. As Darren mentioned it suits the look better. I wonder if Kurt could have the builder put the upper horn's strap button placed on the back instead of the usual location.

The mockups look nice too, especially that Lizardburst Flame.

djohns74

Reaction score
It may be worth noting that I originally made a reverse 8 in-line headstock for this to keep it more in-line with the existing Interceptor design. If we're thinking about making the design pointier, that might be a better fit.

My experience with my Intrepid makes me suspect that issues with string length would limit the use of an in-line headstock to scale lengths of 27" or less, unless you're using bass strings for the bottom couple, but I think shorter scale (25.5 - 27) seems to be the main focus here anyway.

An thoughts on either the look or the practicality here?

troyguitar

Reaction score
My 25.5" 7-string with an in-line reverse headstock can barely accommodate a regular string on the low B. I don't think an in-line headstock will work very well.

Våd Hamster

Reaction score

HAVE MERCY! :eek:

I'd sell the other half of my soul for that. Where is the pup switch though? :fawk:

:wub:

I think it was the second or third run of Interceptors, they went with more of a "Soloist" style body than the "RG" style body. I like these ones a lot as well, but to be honest, i think the pointier horns suit the overall design a bit better, with the angular, pointy headstock.

:agreed:

The rounded shape looks way too much like the C7 design IMO (not that there's anything wrong in that, I just already have one ;))

Oh yeah, and, make both the standard and pro 27 scale. It fits the low B better IMO, and generally I just think 25.5" 7s look disproportionate. Can't imagine that with an 8 :noplease:

')