Agile Interceptor 8 strings!

• Thread starter troyguitar
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which of these options would make you buy one (or more) of these guitars?

• Standard (bolt-on) at 25.5" - Pro (neck-thru) at 27"

Votes: 78 53.4%
  • Pro (neck-thru) at 25.5" - Standard (bolt-on) at 27"

Votes: 41 28.1%
  • Neither one. This is a stupid idea.

Votes: 27 18.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
I agree, a hardtail option would be good. Either a Hipshot or an Agile-designed recessed TOM style bridge would be optimal.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the kahler is half the point of this. The point of the Intrepid was to have an 8 string and the point of these Interceptors are to have an 8 string with a Kahler. I'd prefer a hardtail as well, but that's not what they are going for I believe.

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the kahler is half the point of this. The point of the Intrepid was to have an 8 string and the point of these Interceptors are to have an 8 string with a Kahler. I'd prefer a hardtail as well, but that's not what they are going for I believe.

the reason why the intrepids fretboard radius is 15 is so people can retrofit the kahler 8 to it.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score

Yes, I understand this. But It'd be cool if Kurt were to make it so both of these guitars had both options, so those of us that want Interceptor body shapes with hardtail bridges can have them, and those of us that want Intrepid body shapes with Kahlers bridges without having to retrofit can have those as well.

Oh well, I guess that's what the custom shop is for.

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
the reason why the intrepids fretboard radius is 15 is so people can retrofit the kahler 8 to it.
Yeah, but they didn't offer one that CAME with a kahler. Now they do. By your logic there's no reason to make one with a kahler because people can just add it to the Intrepid. I meant that the first was an offer of a cheap production 8. This is an offer of a cheap production 8 with a kahler.
Yes, I understand this. But It'd be cool if Kurt were to make it so both of these guitars had both options, so those of us that want Interceptor body shapes with hardtail bridges can have them, and those of us that want Intrepid body shapes with Kahlers bridges without having to retrofit can have those as well.

Oh well, I guess that's what the custom shop is for.
It would be cool, but it would also be expensive and possibly a loss of profit being as not everyone wants one or the other. And yes that is what the custom shop is for. Perhaps one day we can get all the models with all the various options as productions. But first, interest must be judged and everything has to be tested out.
Give it time young fellows. Give it time.

J-Twin

Extended-Range Dreamer
Reaction score
Våd Hamster;1419700 said:
The rounded shape looks way too much like the C7 design IMO (not that there's anything wrong in that, I just already have one ;))

Yeah, I think I'm wanting a C-8 w/ a Kahler, but w/o the expense and pain of adding the Kahler (and w/o the 808s & their weird routs).

Tommy Van Dyke

Reaction score
I think the pro model should come with the kahler and the standard should come with the agile low cost version of the kahler, I mean is it really so hard to turn the screw and convert the guitar back to fixed bridge? I guess it depends on how much it costs kurt to develop the low cost kahler...

highlordmugfug

themuthaphukkindeath
Reaction score
I prefer the pointier one myself. Lizardburst hell yeah.

J-Twin

Extended-Range Dreamer
Reaction score
It may be worth noting that I originally made a reverse 8 in-line headstock for this to keep it more in-line with the existing Interceptor design. If we're thinking about making the design pointier, that might be a better fit.

My experience with my Intrepid makes me suspect that issues with string length would limit the use of an in-line headstock to scale lengths of 27" or less, unless you're using bass strings for the bottom couple, but I think shorter scale (25.5 - 27) seems to be the main focus here anyway.

An thoughts on either the look or the practicality here?

Aesthetically I'm partial to the 4/side, but maybe y'all don't agree...

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
You know, as far as options go, why doesn't Kurt pull a Carvin? Turn these kinds of things into a customizable production model with various options, having people pre-order their guitar based on given options (like his custom shop already is), and then make a few "in-stock" guitars with various options put on them that people can order if they don't want to wait. I'm no businessman, so I wouldn't know if this a practical, or even doable, idea for Kurt to engage at the moment, but it makes sense to me.

And I don't mean every model he has available, I'm referring solely to 7's and 8's, merely because no one else really does this kind of thing with extended-range guitars.

Tommy Van Dyke

Reaction score
You know, as far as options go, why doesn't Kurt pull a Carvin? Turn these kinds of things into a customizable production model with various options, having people pre-order their guitar based on given options (like his custom shop already is), and then make a few "in-stock" guitars with various options put on them that people can order if they don't want to wait. I'm no businessman, so I wouldn't know if this a practical, or even doable, idea for Kurt to engage at the moment, but it makes sense to me.

And I don't mean every model he has available, I'm referring solely to 7's and 8's, merely because no one else really does this kind of thing with extended-range guitars.

I really really like that idea :metal:

except I don't want to be the one to tell the man how to run his business :lol:

but man would everybody be happy!

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
I'm not telling him how to run his business, I'm perfectly happy with how he does it. I'm just speaking speculatively.

I wouldn't have 3 out my 4 guitars if it wasn't for him (or this forum, but that's a different matter).

Now, back on topic, I'm not sure how I feel about the locking nut. I've never been a fan of those because any time I decide to use the first fret, whether it be a chord or riff or whatever, my hand keeps hitting it and it hurts quite a bit. Is there any way that could get replaced with locking tuners? Or does the Kahler trem work in such a way that it has to have a locking nut?

amassivetree

Reaction score
I really dont think there is going to be an Agile knockoff of the Kahler.

First, because there are at least 3 lines of Kahler trems out there: the expensive USA one described in this thread ($a lot), the hybrid (which is a mix of US and foreign parts, and costs $259 for an 8, retail Kahler 7328 eight string tremolo system), and the X-trem, which is only available OEM for imports. The ESP/LTD Hanneman series for example, features all three: the X-trem on the low-cost bolt on, the hybrid on the nicer LTD, and the USA on the ESP version.

The reason Kahler disappeared in the 90s was due to lawsuits, including some legal battles in the early 90s fighting Asian knockoffs Bridge-maker Kahler crafts resurrection that truly resonates | The San Diego Union-Tribune). I doubt they are going to let them be copied again without a fight, and it doesn't make sense to tool up to make a handful of very strange tremolos.

Also, I dont understand why anyone would want a locking trem without a locking nut. A good question might be, do we want a Kahler (behind the nut, easier to manufacture/harder to screw up) or a Floyd locknut (as on the new BC Riches with Kahlers, for example).

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
I really dont think there is going to be an Agile knockoff of the Kahler.

First, because there are at least 3 lines of Kahler trems out there: the expensive USA one described in this thread ($a lot), the hybrid (which is a mix of US and foreign parts, and costs $259 for an 8, retail Kahler 7328 eight string tremolo system), and the X-trem, which is only available OEM for imports. The ESP/LTD Hanneman series for example, features all three: the X-trem on the low-cost bolt on, the hybrid on the nicer LTD, and the USA on the ESP version.

The reason Kahler disappeared in the 90s was due to lawsuits, including some legal battles in the early 90s fighting Asian knockoffs Bridge-maker Kahler crafts resurrection that truly resonates | The San Diego Union-Tribune). I doubt they are going to let them be copied again without a fight, and it doesn't make sense to tool up to make a handful of very strange tremolos.

Also, I dont understand why anyone would want a locking trem without a locking nut. A good question might be, do we want a Kahler (behind the nut, easier to manufacture/harder to screw up) or a Floyd locknut (as on the new BC Riches with Kahlers, for example).

To keep the price down, I would say go with the LFR locknut, its cheap, easy to get and replace, and (most importantly) takes a greater variance of string gauges.

If this was the 90's, when the Kahler Flyer was the equivalent of what the Xtrem is today (import), then I would totally against it, but after seeing pictures of the Xtrem is looks like the fairly same spec, where the old Kahler Flyer looked (and was) noticeably cheaper. That being said, I honestly haven't tried a Kahler since they've reappeared, but I do know that the LFR install has to go. The Interceptor as it stands, holds it own against ANY popular production ERG IMO, but the LFR installation has been its Achilles heel.

')