Agile Interceptor Pro arrived! Pics! (56k = Sanjaya fan)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
considering i cant play the agile, how would you say it stacks up to the C-7 hellraiser and S7320? the S7 is around $900 CAD, with the HR being a bit over 1K before taxes.. the interceptor pro is $600USD w/o case or shipping (hmph). i cant try it out though, that's what's killing me. i havent played a schecter 7 or an ibanez 7, so i can only guess as to what that middle ground is like :p. i need more hours at work, and a 7-string asap. hmph.

JP, what would you suggest going for? note: i dunno when i'll be able to try the HR or the S7 out anyways :(

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
considering i cant play the agile, how would you say it stacks up to the C-7 hellraiser and S7320? the S7 is around $900 CAD, with the HR being a bit over 1K before taxes.. the interceptor pro is $600USD w/o case or shipping (hmph). i cant try it out though, that's what's killing me. i havent played a schecter 7 or an ibanez 7, so i can only guess as to what that middle ground is like :p. i need more hours at work, and a 7-string asap. hmph.

JP, what would you suggest going for? note: i dunno when i'll be able to try the HR or the S7 out anyways :(

Since I have played all three of the guitars in question (and previously owned a Hellraiser), I can hopefully give you some guidance.

The answer really depends on what features are most important to you. In terms of quality, I would rate all three guitars about the same--higher than many Korean guitars I've played. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three, so it comes down to features and personal preferences. Notice that I'm comparing functional stuff and not appearance. You can look at the pictures and see for yourself which you like better.

Hellraiser:
--long-scale neck creates higher tension than the others and a slightly "cleaner" sound. I don't recommend this if you play a lot of legato, but it crushes for rhythm. The neck is very thick, maybe the thickest seven out there. Too much for me.
--fixed bridge, which is limiting for some, preferable for others.
--sound is a little dark with all that mahogany and the EMG-707s, but it actually sounds pretty similar to my Agile, with just slightly less "bite".

S7320:
--Very nice neck shape and well-done frets. Not as thin as the older Ibanezes, but still a bit thinner than either the Hellraiser or Agile. The first Korean Ibanez I've ever tried that felt so inviting. Only has 22 frets, though, so that's a problem for me and the big reason I didn't grab one.
--The best 7-string trem available, if that's your thing.
--Bolt-on neck isn't bad, but noticeably less "crisp" sound than the HR or Agile, and the stock pickups need to be replaced to bring it up to the same standard.

Interceptor Pro:
--unbeatable features for the price (at least for us Americans); ebony board sealed the deal for me, but the 5-piece neck and mahogany body sides are cool, too.
--neck size/shape about "middle of the road" for sevens, and frets are well done, if not quite to Schecter standards. No dead spots.
--EMG-81/7s go well with this guitar and lend it a bit of bite that you don't get with the Hellraiser. I'm sure the 707s in the black version sound good, too.
--Trem isn't that great, but I blocked mine so I'm not the best one to say.
--Feels very much like what a 25.5" Hellraiser might be like, but there are substantial differences. Easier to play than the Hellraiser and better for lead work, I think.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i really appreciate the descriptions JP, many thanks :). as far as looks, they all look great to me, so that's not a concern. how do you find the placement of the pickup selector on the agile (as it's not in a normal place).

my main concern is neck thickness - i am not a huge fan of super-skinny (read: some ibanez and jackson) necks. i played an S320, and found it to be to my liking, but that wasnt the 7-string version. i have yet to play anything off schecter's C-1 line, i've only played 2 omen 6's recently (and the second one, FR...not diggin the way it was playing). i play a gibson LP studio, so if it's a little bit thinner then that, i'll be very happy. the agile seems a solid ax, im going to email rondo and see what it'd cost to have it shipped out to me.

I have no prior experience with trems, and im not sure i'd put in the effort to learn how to use one to my advantage. I do want a trem for goofing off etc, and it'd be nice to use one to enhance the music instead of just play with the bar lol.

are all those guitars arched top? im not sure how well i get along with flat tops these days, havent played anything flat in a while.

just a note, when i get a 7 i hope to learn some unearth, and play amon amarth in the proper octave :p, try some nevermore, and other bands that play in B. my lead playing isn't that great (if you ask me), im more of a rhythm player when it comes down to it - since you have experience, which one would you suggest? i really need to play the HR and the S7, but they're so far away and would most likely need ordering in.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Budda, from what you're saying it sounds like you might be happiest with the Hellraiser. The only difficulty might be the scale length. If you are used to a Les Paul's 24.75" scale, going to the Hellraiser's 26.5" scale might take some getting used to. But for intense rhythm playing, the HR absolutely chews up and spits out anything else out there (well, at least below $1,000). The sound will also be more like your LP than either the Agile or the Ibanez. Both HR and Agile have arched tops, so that shouldn't be a problem.

The Agile would do just fine also, but I wouldn't recommend going with a guitar with a Floyd as your main 7-string, given your interests. For you, it will simply be more trouble than it's worth. And just so you know, I'm not a huge Floyd fan either and am getting a fixed bridge on my KXK that's being built now. I blocked the Floyd on my Agile and prefer it that way.

You might also consider the Schecter C7 Blackjack. Since it has Duncan pickups, it sounds even more Gibson-like than the Hellraiser, and they both play the same, since they have the same "structure". The Blackjack is also about $100 less than the Hellraiser. I had a Blackjack for a little while, and to be honest, I preferred it to the Hellraiser in terms of sound. Put it this way--I don't miss the Hellraiser, but I do sometimes regret selling the Blackjack.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
thanks JP, i really appreciate it :). im moving to a city with a schecter dealer in the fall for college, so i will quite possibly just wait until then to go play the HR. i dont need the guitar to sound like my LP, i just need it to be comfy, sound Good, and have a low B :) lol. i just think the hellraiser is dead sexy (and as good as black looks, i dont need another finger-print magnet right now). i will try the HR and the blackjack and see who comes out tops.

thanks again, now go play your interceptor!

Rusty_cooley702

Reaction score
Hmm i wonder how and for what price
an agile model with
ebony board
25.5 scale (bolt on with the same joint as the original interceptor)
mahogany body
and 707's???
same colors though

if they made this would nayone buy it??

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm i wonder how and for what price
an agile model with
ebony board
25.5 scale (bolt on with the same joint as the original interceptor)
mahogany body
and 707's???
same colors though

if they made this would nayone buy it??

That would be very tempting, especially with a fixed bridge. I suppose at some point that Kurt has to limit the number of models he puts out, though.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
I'd bust a nut if those things came in purple.

That looks very nice, though.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
WOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!! Already built in 81-7s!!!!! CCHHUUSSSSS....

after assessing the situation, I think we can all sit back now and relax as Agile now becomes a competitor with DECENT 7s at DECENT prices. Although, its gonna be hard shopping for another 7, because now that i have the RG1077XL, ill be comparing all 7s quality to its, lol. (in other words, i cant get nething but prestiges now, lol. im spoiled)

......if you cant tell Ive fallen deeply in love with the 27" scale necks.....

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Being a person who has experience, can you tell me how the 707's and 81-7's compare? I'm saving for one of these, and I'm leaning towards the blue like yours, but I want to know about the pickups.

jacksonplayer

The Fusion Guy!
Contributor
Reaction score
Being a person who has experience, can you tell me how the 707's and 81-7's compare? I'm saving for one of these, and I'm leaning towards the blue like yours, but I want to know about the pickups.

I haven't played the version of the Agile with 707s, so I can't say for sure in this guitar, but I did play my old Jackson Stars Soloist-7 (Noodles has it now) with both a 707 and an 81-7 in the bridge at different times. Frankly, I don't think they're *that* different. The 81-7 is a little bit brighter sounding and can be harsh in some guitars in comparison. You have to remember, though, that the 707 was intended tonally to be about halfway between the EMG81 and 85, so it's not as thick and 'traditional' sounding as the 85. My Agile is a fairly dark-sounding guitar, and even with the 81-7, it doesn't have as much top end as either my Charvel 750xl w/ Duncan Distortion or my ESP Mirage Custom w/Gibson 500T pickup. I actually think the 707 wouldn't be bright enough for my Agile, but of course that could just be my particular guitar.

Slayer89

The Demon Barber
Reaction score
Okay, cool. I like my guitars to have some brightness to them, so I guess I'll save up for a blue.

Thanks!

Xtremevillan

im leaving ss.org
Contributor
Reaction score
I sent you a message, but just in case:

Where did you get it? I can't find a site that sells this anymore.

Kakaka

I am with Jesus!
Reaction score
I would grab'em both, I like the black one looks better, but the 81-7s are my favorite when compared to the 707s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')