Agile Interceptor

Tymon

Reaction score
My first seven string, an el cheapo Agile guitar. After reading numerous positive reviews about the Agile brand of guitars I decided to take the plunge and order one, even though I had to pay for the shipping costs to the Netherlands.

It arrives:
1.jpg

2.jpg

After taking the guitar out of the box:
3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

After admiring my new guitar I plugged it in and tuned up. After doing that I found out the guitar was horribly setup. Intonation was way off and the action way too low. No problem there, I can setup guitars on my own just fine.

I decided to put on thicker strings so obviously the floyd was all out of place, so I removed the plate from the trem cavity to hook up a fourth spring. That just looks horrible, the finishing is really rough (no smooth sanded wood), the 2 outer springs were attached to the middle of the metal thingy because they would touch the sides of the cavity when attached to the outer sides of the metal thingy. On top of that the middle spring wasn't attached well so when I did that it ALSO touched the wood of the cavity. Sloppy!! Fortunately the guitar's made from a very soft wood (basswood?) so sanding the cavity only took about 15 minutes or so. It's now smooth and the springs of the trem work like they should without touching the wood.

Sanded cavity:
8.jpg

After this little drawback I intonated the guitar and was ready to testdrive it! It sounds good, very good actually! Surprised by the stock pickups, nice touch you can switch between single coils and humbuckers. The single coils sound great with clean sounds. The longer scale gives the lower strings a sense of clarity I never heard before when tuning down my normal scale guitars to B. That, and the higher tension of the strings make it a steady B instead of a B that starts on C when you hit it and lowers to a B :scream:

The longer scale takes some time to get really used to I guess. When sitting down and concentrating it's alright but I took it to band rehearsal last night and it's really a bit harder when moving around and standing. But nothing you can't get used to.

Overal verdict so far:
Even though the finishing and the setup was crap, I'm still very happy with it. I'm glad there wasn't a flaw I couldn't fix and I was a bit prepared for the cavity sanding because I read several reports on this forum about the very same thing. The guitar plays very smoothly, nice neck width. Pickups sound great, won't swap them for some time I think. And of course, the guitar looks great! :)

Off to record some samples with my new beast! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JPMDan

IT'S OVER 9000!!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
very nice looking axe :yesway: is the fingerboard ebony or rosewood? I would pretty much expect it to come the way it did with the bad setup and the little problem. Atleast they are minor things that didn't take long before you were able to jam away!

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
well at least you didn't mention the frets sucking, because that's the worst problem on a guitar imo...aside from being tonally lifeless

Tymon

Reaction score
The frets actually feel very good and there's almost no fret buzz, just very little on the low B string when you hit it real hard, nothing serious.

It's an ebony fretboard, it came unoiled so I also did that, forgot to mention.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
I didn't like mine and sold it, glad you like yours :yesway:

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Minor glitches really for the price. Setups are a personal thing anyway so I'm never worried about a setup being a bit out, but the springs fouling was a bit bad. Still, it's a cheap guitar and good for the money. Congrats!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
looks nice! a setup and some sanding is all she needed, thats good.

i dont understand this hubbub with swapping out pickups immediately on new axes - half the time, someone needs to look at the amp they're playing through.

im GAS'in for a C7-FR or ibanez S7 myself. that guitar looks damn fine

SeanC

loves metal
Reaction score
Im curious about that finish. Usually black stained finishes on cheap guitars are more purple than black. Does that one have a more purple look to it in more direct light?

Tymon

Reaction score
Hmm, seems black/gray to me. The first pic was taken with flash on so I guess you can tell from that picture.

I have one little problem I found later, but I don't know exactly what it is: if I pull down the trem all the way in "extreme divebomb" and pull it up again, I hear some tick sound (only 1 tick) at the locking nut. If I untighten the locking nuts the sound is no longer there. It sounds like a string maybe slips underneath the locking nut, but the tuning stays in tune and the screws are tightened up. Any ideas?

Also, 2 crappy MP3s:
1st one is a stupid metal riff played 2 times, one time with my old tuned down 6 and one time with my new 7. Guess the guitar :p
2nd one is a clean thingy I made up in 10 seconds and improvised some stuff on.

http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~tymon/mp3/Tymon - Guess the Guitar.mp3
http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~tymon/mp3/Tymon - Fr-agile .mp3

Alex-D33

Golderak is King
Contributor
Reaction score
HEY man congrat's on your new AGILE 7 look's very nice..you said the pickups are good on it and no need to replace them for now , i was wondering what do they sound like tone wise and what other PU'S would you compaire them to ..DIMARZIO , SEYMORE DUNCAN'S . Thanks for the info & the pic's ..Shred on !!!! bro .

RCB

Reaction score
That axe looks bitchin' dude! I was very close to getting one of these. Oh well, maybe some other time.

Enjoy. :shred:

Cancer

Gazzmask
Reaction score
Cool man, congrats. Yeah the 'eptors aren't bad. That's suck that they still have inital setup issues, its been like a year now.

BigM555

I SS.org Salute You!
Contributor
Reaction score
Cool clips man. Congrats on your purchase.

I've been looking at some of the Agile's as well just to satisfy GAS without breaking the bank. I'm not afraid of a little set up work either. Kinda of expected at the price point. I still can't get over the fact that many of their "higher end" models have ebony fretboards. Where the heck are they getting it?

Anyway, clips are great. Nicely done. Sounds fine to me though I can't tell much difference in your "Guess the guitar" clip on my small PC speakers at work. :rolleyes:

BigM555

nicknuisance

Master Shredder
Contributor
Reaction score
Looks very nice. I was thinking of possibly ordering the same, but the blue flame. I really need a 7.

fleeeep

Meeedly meeedly meee
Reaction score
hey, sweet guitar and great sound clips!
How you feeling about it a few months down the line?
Still happy? Any problems?

Latest posts

')