Agile Interceptor

• Thread starter nyck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
Features:
Real Flame Maple top and double cutaway light weight basswood arch top body
DiMarzio Blaze neck and bridge pickups installed at the factory
27" scale 3 piece maple bolt on neck
Ebony fretboard with no markers. Position markers are located on the side of the neck.
24 Extra Jumbo 2.9mm frets and a 13.7" (350mm) radius neck for fast play
Grover Die Cast tuners
Floating Trem Licensed by Floyd Rose Grover Die Cast tuners
Volume & tone controls and a coil tap
Reverse Headstock
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 7/8"; at the 22st fret: 2 3/16"
Uniform Neck Profile - For ultra fast playing - 21.5mm at the frest fret and 22mm at the 12th fret.
Thickness of neck at the first fret approx 11/16"
Overall length, including the strap button: 44"; Scale length: 27"
Actual Weight is only 7 lbs

On the 27" scale:
At first, I found it very different. You can definetly notice it going from a 25.5" scale. The frets are spaced apart more and the overrall length is longer. It feels "more beefy". The extra space isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it take a bit of time to get used to. Some people may not like it, like Shannon said, the main reason he sold his was because he couldn't get along with the extended scale. Just a note: the extended scale adds to string tension, so you have to put strings on accordingly. You can stick 10s on it and tune it down a step to A and it will have good medium tension. I currently have 10s in B standard and it feels very nice, but I want to change to 9s for the smooth feel when playing leads.

Sound:
Of my experience of playing different guitars, I have found this guitar to sound the best. Yeah, the best. The extended scale seems to tighten up the tone a tad bit. I don't notice a sound difference with the maple top. Dimarzio Blazes in my opinion are superb pickups. You can notice the scooped mids a little bit, but when you crank the mids on your amp, it sounds really nice. Neck pup is excellent for leads, very smooth but not as powerful as the bridge. I wish it was a tad bit more powerful. The bridge has just the right amount of output. It's fucking awesome for rhythms and (imo) nice for leads too. Neck pup sounds jazzy as hell on cleans. The coil taps are a 'must' for me. They sound very similar to real single coils. Excellent for cleans. The pup switch is awkwardly placed, and I don't like where it is, so I might change up the whole electronic scheme sometime down the road.

Feel:
Nice player. You gotta wear it in to get a good opinion. It plays just as good if not better than mid-level Ibanez guitars. The neck is pretty fat. I haven't played a Schecter 7, but I've played Schecter 6s and this neck feels pretty similar. It's about the same size as an ESP 7. It's comfortable to me. Not uncomfortable fat, but nicely sized. Definetly not Ibanez thin.

Bridge:
Good bridge. I don't have experience with other bridges other than the Ibanez Lo Pro, which was incredible. After fixing the trem cavity and lubing the posts and giving it a good setup, I can safely say it stays in tune 'well'. It isn't as good as the Lo pro, which returned to 0 always, but it only goes out a few cents. Not exactly enough to notice it by ear. About trem flutters: I didn't try to do any flutters with the stock spring config(comes in arrow config-3 springs). When I fixed the trem cavity, I went ahead and put in an extra spring, for 4 springs. I tried to do trem crickets/flutters and it didn't work. This is probably common on all 4 spring configs. I currently have the trem blocked and locked at the nut and fine tuned at the bridge, and it stays in tune for days. I haven't had to tune it in about a week or so. Awesome stability.

Would I recommend it?
NOOOOO!!
Why?
Because I don't want you to have one! :lol: Just kidding though. I would definetly recommend it. It's an amazing guitar for the price and looks amazing.

UPDATE!!!!
I recently unblocked the bridge and set it up myself. The trem stays in tune PERFECTLY! I've been doing crazy stuff with the whammy bar since yesterday, and it's still in perfect tune. I'm talking about perfect pitch here, it returns to ZERO!
(ok maybe 1 cent off, but you can't hear that and no trem is perfect)(this is a licensed floyd!)

Pics:
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/icetitan/100_8335.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/icetitan/100_8340.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/icetitan/100_8336.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/icetitan/100_8337.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b373/icetitan/100_8341.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

maskofduality

Brandeis Sophomore
Reaction score
!!! those neckjoints look pretty good. i'd get one but my lack of money stops all GAS induced reactions lol.
btw, what's wrong with the stock 3 spring set up? (i've never owned a floating trem before... although i do want one)

nyck

blah!
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the 3 spring setup. I just decided to stick the extra spring they gave me in there. Basically, when you use a higher string gauge, you have to adjust the springs in the trem cavity, which counterbalance the trem and keeps it level. Adding the extra spring just gives you more room to adjust this. It definetly wasn't needed though lol. No more fluttering with 4 springs though.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
nyck said:
On the 27" scale:
At first, I found it very different. You can definetly notice it going from a 25.5" scale. The frets are spaced apart more and the overrall length is longer. It feels "more beefy". The extra space isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it take a bit of time to get used to.

Yeah, I have a Schecter C-7 26.5" scale and now I'm sooo used to it that playing shorter scales feels really odd and almost cramped in a way. I have an Ibanez AX7221 laying around and I picked it up the other day and the 24.75" scale just felt so strange now that I'm used to the extended scale.

Outside of that, yeah the tone is definitely better IMO with an extended. They just sound meatier yet clearer. And since I tune down to "A" the intonation is spot on 100%.

Nice looking guitar you got there. Do they make fixed bridge extended scale versions as well?

Rev.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
That's the only place you can get them from. You really bumped this thread for that? :noway: