Agile Intrepid 828 string swap ??

• Thread starter furywhip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

furywhip

Reaction score
The strings that came on this have to go. They are .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .072.

They are not what I am used to playing at all. I usually play 11,15,22,30,42,54, on my 6's. Will this be ok on the 8? What other gauges would be a good replacement for the B and F#? They seem pretty flimsy right now.

I've searched the board here and there, but haven't found anything.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
The strings that came on this have to go. They are .009, .012, .015, .022, .030, .040, .054, .072.

They are not what I am used to playing at all. I usually play 11,15,22,30,42,54, on my 6's. Will this be ok on the 8? What other gauges would be a good replacement for the B and F#? They seem pretty flimsy right now.

I've searched the board here and there, but haven't found anything.

I think that that would be pretty thick IMO. Take into account the scale length as well, the longer the length, the tighter the strings will be.

furywhip

Reaction score
I think that that would be pretty thick IMO. Take into account the scale length as well, the longer the length, the tighter the strings will be.

That makes sense. I was just reading on another thread about that as well. I guess I just need to find a good compromise.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
I have set up my friends 7 string guitar with 12,15,22,30,42,54,74 gauge strings in standard tuning and everything is fine.
With a simple truss rod adjustment .11s shouldn't hurt the guitar at all, but depending on the gauge of your lowest string it is possible you may have to either drill out the tuner or unwrap the end of the string a bit to allow it to actually fit in the tuner

furywhip

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to mention that.

This is my first ERG and usually I play my 6's in drop C, B & A. I generally play post metal stuff/shoe gaze stuff (Isis, Pelican, Neurosis, God Speed You Black Emperor, etc).

The only tunings I have messed with on the 8 are F# Standard and the 8th down to a E. But I would like to experiment and drop it at some point.

furywhip

Reaction score
I have set up my friends 7 string guitar with 12,15,22,30,42,54,74 gauge strings in standard tuning and everything is fine.
With a simple truss rod adjustment .11s shouldn't hurt the guitar at all, but depending on the gauge of your lowest string it is possible you may have to either drill out the tuner or unwrap the end of the string a bit to allow it to actually fit in the tuner

Good to hear. So maybe 11,15,22,30,42,54,62,74 will work out.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that Agile 8s do not ship with the low strings they claim are on there. I think the actual 8th string is more like a .064". And the best way to compute your strings needed is to use the string tension calculator and plug in the set you use on the sixer, and then play around with gauges on the longer scale length to see what works.

furywhip

Reaction score
Also, keep in mind that Agile 8s do not ship with the low strings they claim are on there. I think the actual 8th string is more like a .064". And the best way to compute your strings needed is to use the string tension calculator and plug in the set you use on the sixer, and then play around with gauges on the longer scale length to see what works.

Wait, so Agile says they ship with a .072" and it's actually a .064" ? Thanks for the tip on the calculator.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Wait, so Agile says they ship with a .072" and it's actually a .064" ? Thanks for the tip on the calculator.

Yup. Mind you, I didn't buy one of the current batches of 8 strings, but since they started making them they've been doing that. So it feels floppy because it's waaaaay thin. Anyway, try out the calculator, and if you have any trouble with it, ask, because all of us ERG users are quite addicted to that thing, so we know our way around, and will give advice on equal tension setups vs progressive tension setups, etc.

proto

Reaction score
Yeah i second that! - and hows the flop factor when tuning down to EAEADGBE with the labella set -

')