Agile neck vs. Ibanez neck

• Thread starter CAPTAIN SARG
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CAPTAIN SARG

Reaction score
To start off this thread I'll let you guys in on my dilemma. I have tiny hands and I play on an Agile Intrepid 828 standard. And the issue that i have with this guitar is the fact that the higher frets are to far apart. So my question is: Are the frets on an Ibanez 8 string neck closer together compared to the Agile?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TXDeathMetal

Lemme smang it girl!
Contributor
Reaction score
That depends really on the scale length of the guitar, you say you have small hands and are playing a 28 inch scale guitar which would prove to be harder for your small hands as the frets are spaced a little further apart, and in comparison to an Ibanez RG2228 is that yes the frets are going to be closer together because the scale length of a RG2228 is 27 inches

Defsan

Reaction score
As far as 8 strings go, Ibanez has two 27" models, Schecter has a few 26,5" models, and ESP has (had?) a 25,5" model (which is the same scale length as a normal 6 string guitar). Usually a shorter scale length is proportional to shorter spaces between frets.

CAPTAIN SARG

Reaction score
Cool thanks guys now what if i wanted 27 frets on a 27 inch scale would that make the frets closer together compared to a 27 inch with 24 frets?

severussnape

Reaction score
No, it would just cause the fret board to be longer to accommodate the extra frets. But relative spacing will remain the same.

Sponge

Carpe Diem
Reaction score
Hey man, hope this helps out...
Just a bit of physics.

Visualize two fret boards, side by side. Lets say, 26 inches and another at 30 inches.

The guitar string at 12th fret has to be right in the middle of the bridge and the nut. There is a reason why there is a harmonic there as well.

When you are going up the fretboard, the 12th fret is one octave up. It is also at the half point. When you go from 12 to 24 it is half of the distance between open and 12th fret. This is also another octave up. For every octave up, the distance is half.

The same concept applies to any scale length.

So now if you have a guitar that is 26 inches in scale, the middle would be 13 inches from the nut and the bridge. Every fret has to be a bit wider to accommodate this, or else the guitar would never be in tune. If the guitar was 30 inches in scale length, the middle point would be at 15 inches, and require even wider frets.

With any guitar, if you want 27 frets, you can't just squeeze them in shorter. They will have to be build like an add +3 to the already set 24 frets. Imagine it like lego connecting.

Then you have intonation, string height, tension, and all that fun stuff...

I have a hangover and hope this helps you :)

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
Hey man, hope this helps out...
Just a bit of physics.

Visualize two fret boards, side by side. Lets say, 26 inches and another at 30 inches.

The guitar string at 12th fret has to be right in the middle of the bridge and the nut. There is a reason why there is a harmonic there as well.

When you are going up the fretboard, the 12th fret is one octave up. It is also at the half point. When you go from 12 to 24 it is half of the distance between open and 12th fret. This is also another octave up. For every octave up, the distance is half.

The same concept applies to any scale length.

So now if you have a guitar that is 26 inches in scale, the middle would be 13 inches from the nut and the bridge. Every fret has to be a bit wider to accommodate this, or else the guitar would never be in tune. If the guitar was 30 inches in scale length, the middle point would be at 15 inches, and require even wider frets.

With any guitar, if you want 27 frets, you can't just squeeze them in shorter. They will have to be build like an add +3 to the already set 24 frets. Imagine it like lego connecting.

Then you have intonation, string height, tension, and all that fun stuff...

I have a hangover and hope this helps you :)

:yesway:

Latest posts

')