Agile Pendulum - Anybody seen this?

• Thread starter Mr. Big Noodles
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
kurt,

cant you take the current cepheus pickups and change the base plate a bit to stagger the coils so the poles line up?

like this:
multiscalepickups.jpg

I know others have done it, this is just one I found quickly.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

whisper

Reaction score
(on the 8 string version), I'd be willing to lose access to a couple high frets, extend the scale into the body more (30") to make room for bridge AND neck passives without slanting them. OR, put the pickup smack in the middle and add a tone knob.

pink freud

Reaction score
It's not about form so much as function. Besides, the picture is a prototype to test functionality, and I'd imagine the finished versions will look much sexier.

You don't get it, but you're happy about it? :scratch:

I'm happy about the 8 String, because it has a bigger range.

whisper

Reaction score
Could always just wire 2 single coils together and have them slanted no?

Yes, in that they will follow the fan of the frets, but the poles won't be exactly under the strings anymore - unless the poles are custom spaced. I'm thinking a 30 -60 degree right triangle, the long leg is the pole spacing on a stock pickup, the hypotenuse is the pole spacing for a slanted pickup.

kurtzentmaier

Reaction score
Would people prefer the intrepid headstock (as shown in the sample) or a 7 in line Interceptor Headstock for this model ?

Kurt

JJ Rodriguez

Contributor
Reaction score
Might be poll time, but I think the Intrepid headstock would be much better. It definitely sets it apart, and with a fanned instrument it just looks better IMO, but that's just me.

I'd be interested in picking up one of these when they release an 8 string version so I have a cheap 8 to fart around on, and I'd get to try out fanned frets. Any target date as to when the 8 is getting released in relation to the 7?

OrsusMetal

In brightest day...
Reaction score
Would people prefer the intrepid headstock (as shown in the sample) or a 7 in line Interceptor Headstock for this model ?

Kurt

I vote the 7 in-line Interceptor headstock. :yesway:

Also, the idea mentioned above about altering the baseplate so to stagger the bridge pickup is a good idea. Same with the common mention of slanting the fretboard end.

The Echthros

Stupid, apparently
Reaction score
Yes, in that they will follow the fan of the frets, but the poles won't be exactly under the strings anymore - unless the poles are custom spaced. I'm thinking a 30 -60 degree right triangle, the long leg is the pole spacing on a stock pickup, the hypotenuse is the pole spacing for a slanted pickup.

depending on how you slant the two coils on the humbucker the pole pieces will line up. Just look at the picture I posted for evidence of that.

whisper

Reaction score
depending on how you slant the two coils on the humbucker the pole pieces will line up. Just look at the picture I posted for evidence of that.

Because of the difference in string size from low to high, yes, they probably wouldn't have to be directly aligned under the center of the string. This is probably even easier with 7 and 8 strings because the strings are even bigger on the low end. But the poles on that Ormsby's humbucker do not line up. Looks like the plate for it was pre-made with a certain amound of slant, then for some reason the whole pickup was slanted a little more upon installation. Also, aren't the bobbins coming apart at the bottom? Looks kinda wierd

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think for this first run, especially on the more budget oriented variants, a soap-bar style pickup with a bar magnet would be best, whether they are EMG, Duncan, or Agile brand depends on the price.

Perhaps on a later run a swept passive pickup could be used. I don't see why they couldn't make a swept Agile Cepheus pickup, seeing as they already cut their own flatware. They would simply have to cut a custom baseplate, it shouldn't be that difficult.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
I think I'd personally prefer the Interceptor headstock for this one.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as the headstock goes, I'm gonna default to what Darren has said (seeing as he helped bring the Intrepid to fruition) that the Intrepid Headstock belongs on the Intrepids.

I do think the swept look of the Interceptor stock will go better with the fanned frets though, at least on the 7-string. When the 8-string is a go, I think the 4x4 Intrepid stock would look FAR better.

Though perhaps, seeing as this is a whole new model, maybe a new headstock design is in order? Possibly something along the lines of an Interceptor reverse with some of the extra contours of the Intrepid?

Reaction score
Please make two versions of this, or at least use the Intrepid shape for the 8 version. Then use the right headstock for each shape.

I don't want an Interceptor.

kurtzentmaier

Reaction score
I think for this first run, especially on the more budget oriented variants, a soap-bar style pickup with a bar magnet would be best, whether they are EMG, Duncan, or Agile brand depends on the price.

This is the current plan.

kurt

')