Agile problem - FR action too high

Counterspell

Wesley Belmont
Reaction score
Hello! I did a little searching, and was not able to locate any other existing threads on this particular subject, so please forgive if this is has been covered.

So the cause of my problem is this: I replaced the stock trem on my Agile Interceptor 730 with an OFR. I never did a proper setup with the stock trem as I was waiting for the new bridge/pickups/strings so I didn't want to do it until then.

What has happened now, is that I am unhappy with how high the action is, and it appears that I am unable to make it any lower. The base plate of the trem is against the body and preventing it from being lowered. The studs are very tight, and continued pressure on them drives the entire bushing up from its slot.

I believe in this situation, that a neck shim would be the solution, but this guitar is a neck thru. Anyone have any suggestions for me? Is it possible that the size of the OFR is different enough that it will not give me the action that I need? Hoping for some advice before I try switching the trems out.. or possible routing the entire trem cavity deeper?

I don't have camera access this weekend, hope my description was able to get the point across. Thanks for any ideas you may have, I really want to enjoy this guitar \m/

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Swyse

Swyse
Reaction score
Whale, pics or it didnt happen.
Is the bridge route appropriate for the OFR, or is it sitting on top? If its sitting inside of the route, and bottoming out flat across it, then I'm not sure what more you can do. how far too high is your action? I think if you drilled the post holes deeper they wouldnt bottom out on you, but its really not the issue if the trem is already flat.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Is the baseplate of the trem sitting parallel to the top of the guitar?

Counterspell

Wesley Belmont
Reaction score
Hey guys, Thanks for the replies! Yes it appears that the base plate is sitting on the routed part of the body, and I have adjusted the tension springs so that the trem is very close to being level with the body. Snapped some cell phone pics, sorry for the terrible quality, but hopefully it can better explain my situation.

Based on my measurement from the action gauge, the high string is sitting well above .090 from the fret, which is near double the height that I am used to ;/

Neck relief is about where it needs to be, when holding the 1st and 24th fret I can just slide a card underneath the 12th fret.

Attachments

• Photo0155.jpg
    Photo0155.jpg
    648 KB · Views: 24
  • Photo0156.jpg
    Photo0156.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Photo0158.jpg
    Photo0158.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 28

Trembulant

Rebel Extravaganza
Reaction score
If you didn't check the guitar upon receiving it, that was your first mistake.
But, if you did and the action wasn't like that before. You might check that the baseplate and saddles of the ofr are maybe thicker and taller than the bridge that came with it. You also may have to make the route a little deeper, from the pics it does look more on the shallow side compared to most ofr floyd routes.

Counterspell

Wesley Belmont
Reaction score
If you didn't check the guitar upon receiving it, that was your first mistake.
But, if you did and the action wasn't like that before. You might check that the baseplate and saddles of the ofr are maybe thicker and taller than the bridge that came with it. You also may have to make the route a little deeper, from the pics it does look more on the shallow side compared to most ofr floyd routes.

Well, I can say I was not satisfied with how it played initially, but I just assumed that was due to factory setup and stock string gauges on a 30 inch scale. I will probably switch the trem back to the stock one and see if there is any difference. Thanks!

Trembulant

Rebel Extravaganza
Reaction score
By the way, don't raise and lower the bridge posts with tension on the bridge, that is partially why your post inserts are raising out. Sometimes you can get away with it, but it is not good practice. If you see them raising out it's a good indication to not do it.