Agile Septor 7 refinishing project

Rick In Pa

Reaction score
Hey guys, this is my first thread post here so I'm sorry if I put this in the wrong place. Anyway, I recently finished refinishing my Agile PS900 and my buddy Tony (who is also a member here, TKozuch) liked it so much that he asked me to do something with his Septor since he wasn't real happy with the paint. The crazy thing is that he pretty much gave me free reign to do whatever I want with it. So, I started getting the paint off of it this mornign at at the urging of Nick (NRussell a member both here and at AGF, where I mostly hang out) I decided to put it up here too in case anyone is interested. So, I think I'll show a couple pics of my PS to give an idea of how this all started and then the start of the Septor project. At this point I haven't completely decided what I want to do. I have an idea, but I am open to suggestions if anyone has any. So, enough of my rambling, on to the pictures.

First My Agile PS900, before and after:

Before:
1248521731-PS900%20Dark%20full%20body.jpg

1248521787-PS900%20Dark%20Full%20Back.jpg

And after:
1256557099-DSC00010.JPG

1256557218-DSC00014.JPG

So, here is the Septor 7 that I'm starting with. For those who are regulars around here, you may recognize this guitar as it used to belong to Keith Merrow. In case anyone is wondering, I got Keith's blessing for this project before I started it. Here it is:

Before:
1257884205-DSC00137.JPG

1257884311-DSC00142.JPG

and here are some pics along the way...

1258301640-DSC00159.JPG

1258301685-DSC00160.JPG

1258301883-DSC00169.JPG

So, at this point, the paint is completely off the sides and back and the sealer is off the back. I haven't touched the front yet, but once the sides are completely bare that will be next. So, that's it for now. Again if anyone has any ideas for something really cool for this guitar please share them. I am open to just about anything as long as it's not anything too complex like a lizard burst or anything like that. Simple 2-color bursts or solid color or stain finishes would be fine. Thanks guys! :yesway:

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I am open to just about anything as long as it's not anything too complex like a lizard burst or anything like that. Simple 2-color bursts or solid color or stain finishes would be fine. Thanks guys! :yesway:

Doesn't look TOO complex, but looks pretty amazing... (Im thinking leave the sides and back natural also)
hrz_ctm_qm_faded_blue.jpg

:agreed:

Apophis

Banned
Reaction score
Really nice :agreed: I prefer natural look and color of the guitar's back :agreed:

Rick In Pa

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I should have mentioned that I plan on sanding off the tribal top too, so it will be a mahogany top as well.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Whyyy would you take off a delicious quilt?! :eek: :lol:

Naturalize that bad boy then.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Some customers want weird things, I'll admit it :lol: (looks at pine tree tat)

Rick In Pa

Reaction score
Some customers want weird things, I'll admit it :lol: (looks at pine tree tat)

:lol: Well, if you saw Tony's thread about this earlier, as he said, the top on this guitar is really not all that spectacular and it kind of cries out for something different. As I said originally, this guitar was originally owned by Keith Merrow and before he got rid of it he was considering stripping it down and refinishing it as well. So, it's not that big of a deal. Plus, it's just more fun for me. I love taking paint off of guitars and making them different. :metal:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I did not see tony's thread :(

Any chance of dropping a graphic on there?

Rick In Pa

Reaction score

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Those look really good!

I totally want a PS900 in a seven string. :yum:

Rick In Pa

Reaction score
Those look really good!

I totally want a PS900 in a seven string. :yum:

Thanks Rick! Yeah, that's pretty much a wet dream to have a 7-string PS! But, unfortunately that'll never happen since Kurt was forced to discontinue the PS series :pissed:

By the way, You own my all time favorite guitar! Your flat black custom shows up in my dreams all the time. I would kill for that so if you're ever considering getting rid of it, please let me know. I already have a flat black Agile AL2000, a flat black SX tele and a flat black Interceptor/Septor would just seal the deal for me and I could die a happy man. :hbang:

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
By the way, You own my all time favorite guitar! Your flat black custom shows up in my dreams all the time. I would kill for that so if you're ever considering getting rid of it, please let me know. I already have a flat black Agile AL2000, a flat black SX tele and a flat black Interceptor/Septor would just seal the deal for me and I could die a happy man. :hbang:

Thanks, man. Don't take this the wrong way, but hell to the no. :lol:

It will be locked in my casket with me then said casket will be encased in concrete and then the concrete casket will be buried under pavement somewhere so no one can get to it. :rofl:

Rick In Pa

Reaction score
Thanks, man. Don't take this the wrong way, but hell to the no. :lol:

It will be locked in my casket with me then said casket will be encased in concrete and then the concrete casket will be buried under pavement somewhere so no one can get to it. :rofl:

As it should be my friend :cool:

I'll just assume that you won't mind when I have Kurt make me the exact same guitar right? :idea:

I'll just say "hey Kurt, it's me Rick. I just need another one of those flat black 7's like you made me before, mmkay?"

:evil:

Rick In Pa

Reaction score
Fine with me. :yesway:

You should totally do it.

Thanks man. Would you mind sending me a pm with how much that cost you? Not that I'm actually planning to copy you, but I'd like to do something very similar.

Rick In Pa

Reaction score
Well, it's been slow going lately due to a new baby in the house, but between yesterday and this morning I put about 5 hours of sanding into this thing. Looking at the pics you'd never know I spent that kind of time, but inside the horns alone took me almost 3 hours to get all of the paint and sealer off! So, the status is the back and sides are completely down to bare wood and sanded to 220 and I gave the neck a good sanding with 220 as well. I think I want to work on the neck some more too. You will see in the one pic there is a big booger in the neck down near the bottom and I'm really hoping it's in the sealer because I sanded on it for a good 15 minutes and it didn't come out. May have to figure something out if I can't get it to sand out. I haven't really touched the top or headstock yet. Those are coming next.

So, we've decided on the finish direction we're going. I am going to "attempt" to do a ghost burst finish on the top. Semi-Transparent white base with black bursted edges. I think I will paint the sides a semi-flat black and the just burst the back and keep it mostly natural. What do you guys think of that idea? Let me know...

On to the pics:
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Rick In Pa

Reaction score
I was just looking at AudibleE's thread with the Interceptor finishes.

This is pretty similar to what I'm planning on the this guitar only a darker black burst.
interceptorpro27wht.gif

Although, I just saw this and it is Uber-Sexy!
Thoughts?
interceptorpro27_grayBurst.gif