AI and it's effect on your music, your job and the future

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
I'm not a religious person, but yeah, this tracks. Yes. If there's a creator, that creator makes a process, that process produces us, then we are an expression of the intelligence of the creator. I think that tracks with the metaphor of being "made in His image". That's a very big if, though.

Alright, I'm fine to leave the discussion there then, because that's a clear philosophical divide. It's not like I don't understand the concept of imparting one's knowledge into something (I got a degree in HCI at some point). That's basically what I consider old-school "AI" -- what people did from like 1970-... well, even now, especially in human-facing robotics or video games, pre-LLM where there had to be some improvised dialogue. It was common for these to just be giant if-else statements, and I hated to see news coverage of some of this technology and present it as AI. Usually the reporter would go and interview this robot, and it would immediately have some pre-cached response that referenced the reporter themselves. Cringe.

But I think that notion falls short of capturing situations where you implement some simple algorithm that bootstraps from essentially zero knowledge to the ability to generate novel stories, reason about novel scenarios, etc. And it's weird to me that you don't seem to care about the extent of the knowledge that the designer places in the system or process. Obviously in the old-school "AI", the designer places all of the intelligence the agent can exhibit. But the degree to which an ML researcher's intelligence is present in an LLM is basically just in the "try to predict the next word" objective, and everything else falls out purely from that goal, and the researcher ultimately knows virtually nothing of what the LLM knows. If the process is so simple that it arguably doesn't need a designer, merely just the circumstances to incentivize some behavior, and the rest just happens, then that's the same between evolution giving rise to human intelligence, and pointing an LLM at a bunch of text and having that objective give rise to its intelligence.

gabito

Advanced power chords user
Reaction score
Say what you will about AI, but this is fantastic (and hilarious).

"SMASHING PUMPKINS' BILLY CORGAN Uses A.I. Tools To Share Video Message In Seven Different Languages"

')