ALBUM MASTER TEST- CRITIQUE NEEDED

Reaction score
Hey guys-

this is a test for my band's album coming out Wall of the Fallen | Facebook

The Abyss (Master Test 1) by MattWOTF on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

I want to run it past you guys to see if anyone hears anything terribly out of place in terms of the mix and overall mastered quality of it.

To save some time this is what I'm running

Guitars/Bass-(Bypassed):
Axe Fx Ultra-->Apogee One-->Logic Pro

Drums
Superior Drummer (Avatar Kit)-->Logic Pro--->secret samplers, etc.

Mastering: Ozone 5 (custom preset roughly based off of the stock one for rock).

Any help is much appreciated!!! :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
wheres the bass guitar during the first 2-3 blast beats?! :lol: awesome mix dude!!!!!

Reaction score
I can hear it on my speakers. I think I need to do a really detailed volume ride of the bass through the whole song... but I'm not sure how to go about doing it- I think that might fix the inconsistencies with the bass sound (it disappears and reappears depending on the note hit I do agree).

seesthend

Banned
Reaction score
Sounds good dude - maybe just work the high end a bit more. The cymbals and leads seem to have some harshness going on (the typical ones - 2.4k, upper 5's, etc.) Otherwise, great job man!

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
There's a little too much clickiness in your kick for my liking, like the click of the kick drum is louder than the snare... normally the snare provides the peaks for a mix, and yours isn't really doing that.

Reaction score
Thanks you guys for actually listening and giving me quality input. I become only slightly obsessed with volume after I figured out that I can pump it up pretty loud with the SSL Compressor on the master. I'll try to trim down the harshness a bit and I have this thing called a thud which is like a little 808 sample that I layer in the kick. I think that's probably the clicky noise that is overpowering everything else.

Cool! time to get to work!

Cheers dudes! \m/:shred:

')