Albums that you play from start to finish?

• Thread starter kamello
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
Im referring to actually play them, not play them on your car :lol:

Today I finished learning Gojira's From Mars To Sirius, wich was a goal that I had set to myself when I started playing guitar, I could barelly play ''Backbone'' when I tried back then, so I ditched the idea quickly and just learnt some songs from time to time meanwhile I started to devolop my chops.
Now Im finally on Summer Break (yeah, is Summer here) and I realized that I already knew a handful of the songs from that album, so I said to myself ''why not give it another try and finish it? :D'' seeing how I just needed to learn the last half of the album.
I know It isn't really challenging musically, but seeing reflected on this album how I learn guitar from day one until today, and just putting the record and knowing that I would be playing non-stop for an hour is a great feeling (maybe not so great for my right hand and my neck though, seriously, my neck still hurts :lol: )

also learning some of this songs really helped me back in the day to devolop a decent right hand and understand the basics of timing

so, leaving that Twitter-ish post behind I leave the question to you guys, how it helped you learn a full album, why you did it, how long did it take, etc.

ps: I thought for a while giving Kezia or Scenes from a Memory a try.....but shredding like a frantic is tad more difficult to just tremolo-pick, hit the open strings randomly, and chug your way through the songs :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

the fuhrer

Reaction score
I'm not really a shredder so out of the music I listen to it is sometimes hard to find something I can play all the way through. I occasionally jam through Opeth's Damnation though. That album is a blast to play along to. It just seems like every note falls into place.

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
Colors
Every Coheed album
Phantom Limb
Waking the Fallen

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
:squint: Initially thought this was a thread for albums we could listen to from start to finish, in which case I would've had something to contribute in a serious manner.

I guess there aren't albums I can play start to finish. :( Although now this has me thinking I should try to do that. It'd be a good goal, and I think I'd like to learn Opeth's Blackwater Park from start to finish. And for more challenging lead work, Watershed would be fun.

Time to make a list.

Dayn

Reaction score
Meshuggah: 'Nothing', 'Catch 33'. I only bothered to learn half of obZen... I'm just happy I learned Obsidian by ear. That's a hell of an awesome song.

That's about it actually... I can play, like, 70%~ of some albums, because I never bothered to learn some songs. If you include game music though, I can play about 60-100% of the following games' music:

• Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)
  • Sonic 2 (8-bit)
  • Sonic 2 (16-bit)
  • Sonic 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Spinball (8-bit)
  • Sonic Spinball (16-bit)
  • Sonic CD (US)
  • Sonic CD (JP)
  • Sonic & Tails (Sonic Chaos)
  • Sonic & Tails 2 (Sonic Triple Trouble)
  • Tails Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sonic Advance
  • Sonic Advance 2
  • Sonic Advance 3
  • Sonic Battle
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Sonic Generations
  • Perfect Dark
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations
  • Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
It's not like I'm obsessed or anything...

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
@Fuhrer:
I do the same with Explosions in the Sky albums, nice way to spend some time devoloping my ears and having fun

@Ittoa666:
so.....much.......envy....(I remember trying to play Prequel to The Sequel one day, and I just gave up, gonna give it another try if I tune to C#)

@Engelking:
Blackwater is my most realistical option right know, is a good way to learn cool voicings and harmonies too :D
also, the most important thing is that the album is awesome from start to finish

@Dayn:
:ugh:

nsimonsen

Reaction score
Dream Theater - Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
Coheed and Cambria - Everything up until YOTBR
Glassjaw - Worship & Tribute
John Mayer - Continuum
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
Misery Signals - All records
Protest The Hero - Fortress
Thrice - Vheissu
Underoath - Define The Great Line
Weezer - Blue Album & Pinkerton

JEngelking

Gravity is Shifting!
Reaction score
@Engelking:
Blackwater is my most realistical option right know, is a good way to learn cool voicings and harmonies too :D
also, the most important thing is that the album is awesome from start to finish

Same here. And that's definitely all good points. :yesway:

Meshuggah: 'Nothing', 'Catch 33'. I only bothered to learn half of obZen... I'm just happy I learned Obsidian by ear. That's a hell of an awesome song.

That's about it actually... I can play, like, 70%~ of some albums, because I never bothered to learn some songs. If you include game music though, I can play about 60-100% of the following games' music:

• Sonic the Hedgehog (8-bit)
  • Sonic the Hedgehog (16-bit)
  • Sonic 2 (8-bit)
  • Sonic 2 (16-bit)
  • Sonic 3
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Sonic Spinball (8-bit)
  • Sonic Spinball (16-bit)
  • Sonic CD (US)
  • Sonic CD (JP)
  • Sonic & Tails (Sonic Chaos)
  • Sonic & Tails 2 (Sonic Triple Trouble)
  • Tails Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure
  • Sonic Adventure 2
  • Sonic Advance
  • Sonic Advance 2
  • Sonic Advance 3
  • Sonic Battle
  • Sonic Heroes
  • Sonic Generations
  • Perfect Dark
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials & Tribulations
  • Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
It's not like I'm obsessed or anything...

Yo dawg, I heard you like Sonic..

J7string

Reaction score
I can play any album from start to finish. I just sit down, pick a band, and let it rip while I'm working, surfing the web, etc...

WhiteWalls

Reaction score
I definitely know Brave New World by Iron Maiden start to finish, but I think that's the only one because I just bother to learn the single songs I find the most interesting on guitar. That album is an exception because it's the album that got me into metal more than 10 years ago and I just had to learn it all

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
The first 5 Metallica albums
Nirvana - Unplugged in New York
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Joe Satriani - The Extremist, Crystal Planet
Janne Da Arc - Joker
All Tool albums (on bass)

Granted that there have been plenty more I can't remember, I've stopped bothering to learn albums as a whole a long time ago so these would be the ones I remember most. I probably can't play these anymore (certainly not Rust In Peace). :lol:

J7string

Reaction score
Oh wait... I derped yet again... Oh well. Anywho, no. There is not an album I can play on guitar from start to finish. I have no desire to, nor the time. I barely have any time for my own music. :/

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech. Lots of killer riffs and nothing too technically demanding.

:bowdown::bowdown:

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Floor's self-titled, Metallica's Master of Puppets & Collective Soul's second album (self-titled/blue).

oh and of course Weezer's blue album.

7JxN7

Reaction score
I think when I was about 13 I learned all of Offsprings Ixnay on the Hombre............... and after that about 90% of Master of Puppets. At about this point I discovered what it was like to play in a band and underage drinking, about this time I also lost all interest in learning entire albums :fawk:

Yo_Wattup

Kick the Butterfly
Reaction score
I can play any album from start to finish. I just sit down, pick a band, and let it rip while I'm working, surfing the web, etc...

5915512a-e9ef-47b5-a4b7-945ab6d25478.jpg

:lol:

')