Alexi-200 a good buy?

• Thread starter Cerebral_hitman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cerebral_hitman

Reaction score
ok, hello all here at the forums. i've been browsing these forums for some time, and I think it's time that I bought a new guitar. I was originally thinking of getting a 7-string but I don't really feel that I am ready for one yet.
(sorry in advnce, i know that there are some other threads on this same topic but none have really helped me much).
So, i have around a grand(Australian), which is about 550 pounds, and 900 US dollars. A while ago I was in a store and saw the esp ltd Alexi-600, I flipped out on account of how amazing it looked, but when i saw the price tag i kind of dismissed it. But when I saw the Alexi-200 for $999 I thought it might be a good purchase.
Now before you ask, I am not an Alexi fanboy (I can enjoy they're music, and there's no doubt he is a great guitarist), so i'm not intrested because of his brandname.

I've read the reviews, and they seemed generally good, but after searching the internet I found some people saying terrible things.
so the pro's (for me) of this guitar are:
-Looks (i know they shouldn't matter too much, but I love the look of this thing )
-24 frets
-tremolo (might be a con because i have heard bad things)
-playability (?)

Cons:
-Only one pickup (bridge)
-crappy pickup (I was thinking of swapping with an emg 81/85 or SD blackout.

The fact that this thing doesn't have a neck pickup is quite gay for me (i enjoy playing on the bridge sometimes). In fact it's probably the thing that has stopped me from buying sooner.

So I then looked at a Jackson RR3, and I love that as well except I have heard things about neck dive, tremolo ect. Plus only 22 frets...

so I have found the alexi online over in england for about $650 and the RR3 for about $900.

To put it quickly i was hoping to get some opinions on both guitars (and others) on what would be best..

That took longer than expected
Thanks in advance

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
First thing's first - why do you feel you're not ready for a 7? Hell, you can start on a 7 if you want - there's no prerequisite to own one ;).

2. If I didn't like the way a guitar looks, the chances of me being it would drop dramatically.

3. Have you played this particular model?

What about buying used? I'm going to say get a 7.

Cerebral_hitman

Reaction score
Thanks, budda
I really don't know why i assumed that. And no, I haven't played the guitar as of yet, i was hoping to soon.
Thanks for the tip, I suppose it isn't too early to get a seven. Got any suggestions?
The only ones I know of are the ibanez rg7321, and all those schecters. though I played a schecter the other day (Blackjack atx c7) and didn't like the neck much. I've heard the ibanez necks are thinner and take a lot less getting used to. what would be a good choice?

avenger

Reaction score
Used RG7 of some sort. You can probaly find a RG7420 or 7620 for under 500 used or 7421, 7621 if you want a fixed bridge.

Under 500 for a fast playing neck and you still have alot of change left over to upgrade pickups if you want. Really can't go wrong. If you are going the floating trem route try to find a 7620 as they have a better trem then the 7420 or if you want a fixed bridge buy any of them and you can just block the trem off.

Also you will get used to the extra string in a day max and then love it forever.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The best choice is the guitar that's most comfortable to you, and it's nice when it's also visually appealing to you as well.

didn't like the C7 ATX neck? Then a schecter 7 probably isn't for you, unless you fall in love with the Loomis neck profile (which is nicer IMO).

Do you want a floyd rose or a TOM (think ESP Horizon w/o trem) bridge?

there's more in the 7-string world than just Ibanez and Schecter :yesway:

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score
Yeah, don't go for that piece ov junk. I had the Alexi-600 -- good build quality (although it cost me US $900, haha), but the lack ov a neck pickup will piss you off after a while.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Gonna have to throw my vote in for a 7 as well. And continue the trend of the RG7 series. Maybe even wait for the RGA7 to ship out and buy one of those. And if you're more partial to the LTD/ESP necks, maybe save up a little more for an SC-607 or 607b (depending on whether you want the baritone scale or not). I've seen them go for an average of $600 used, but have seen them down to $450. Also don't leave out the COW7. There's one for sale for $400 in the classifieds.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Now it's time for the OP to make a "which 7?" thread over in the 7-string section ;)

g93

still can't play 6!
Reaction score
I played one for a couple of minutes. It wasn't bad, nothing to write home about, and I think for 900 dollars you could do a lot better. Maybe try to find a V-500 or 401, if you could dig the symmetrical V. Or a used RR24.

')