Alice in Chains - Would? Live, feat. James Hetfield

• Thread starter Chris
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that guy's just a poor choice of singers. I'm sure he sounds good doing his own thing, but that's just a poor Layne impression.

Buzz762

Destroyer of Worlds
Contributor
Reaction score
I really did not like that Hetfield performance. He sounded off key throughout the duration of the performance and defintely did not fit with Cantrell. It's really sad to see Hetfield's voice in such bad shape. He's got or had one of those iconic voices. Really, the new singer didn't fit much better with Cantrell's voice, but he did an excellent job on Man in the Box.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, I dunno. It's one of those festival things I reckon. Saw them at Donnington last year and was really impressed, but I always feel whenever I see videos of bands live at festivals, they never come off really well. Sure, he's no Layne, but who ever will be? Just like no-one will ever be James Hetfield for better or worse, or Freddie Mercury or Kurt Cobain etc etc But I know I'm glad for having had the chance to see them.

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
Ouchies... Hetfield has put on some GREAT live performances in his day... sadly this doesn't seem to be one of them. :squint: Jerry Cantrell, on the other hand, sounded spot on! :metal:

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Ouchies... Hetfield has put on some GREAT live performances in his day... sadly this doesn't seem to be one of them. :squint: Jerry Cantrell, on the other hand, sounded spot on! :metal:

Also true. Funnily enough though, straight after watching this I saw a video from British TV back in '93, and Jerry was WAY off back then :lol:

thedownside

Reaction score
i loved the version they did a few months back with phil... it's actually the best i've heard him sound in a long time!

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
"Would?" is one of - if not - my favorite Alice In Chains songs, but I didn't think Hetfield did a good job on singing the song. Of course, there is also the thing that annoys me where he's always like "YEAH! YEEEEEEEHYAH! Oooo, yeah!"

Wiz

Reaction score
Yeah James sucks. I liked his stuff from 20 years ago but now he's just a MTV puppet.

B Lopez

Vescere bracis meis.
Reaction score
When James walked out on there it looked like he was gonna play some blues :lol:

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool vids! Both Man In The Box and Would are the songs we covered in my band. I think alot of bands out there did those songs. :lol:

Damn That River is my favorite tune off Dirt though. Great tune. :yesway:

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
Meh I thought Hetfield did okay. It could have been worse considering how bad he was 3 years ago. The vids I've seen of him live last year are a vast improvement IMO.

Adamh1331

RED.
Contributor
Reaction score
Wasnt to bad James voice seems better than it has been in the past years but the man in the box just kicked ass

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
That's my favorite AIC song:metal:
James sang way better than I expected after reading the comments here. He was in tune, but he just doesn't have the vocal range or agility that Lane had. That's a way harder vocal melody to sing than any Metallica I've heard - kudos to James for doing as well as he did.

Couldn't bring myself to watch the Man in the Box one - Lane's singing is my favorite part of AIC - don't really want to hear the same songs without him.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
Not bad, but I thought the songs they did with Maynard Keenan sounded way better.

')