All my favorite bands' latest releases suck hard...

• Thread starter Thep
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

IAMLORDVADER

progressive insanity
Reaction score
Mabye you've grown out of the bands your currently into and need to find some new ones with fresh ideas? :metal:

stryker1800

Sweet Pickle
Reaction score
I agree that maybe it's time to check out some new bands, but not Brokencyde just do yourself a favor and never subject yourself to that. Maybe take a break from the metal genre all, Godspeed You! Black Emperor is always fun if your'e looking for something with depth.

Thep

Blast & Sweep
Reaction score
Oh I have been checking out new bands that I love. Absymal Dawn, Augury, Fleshgod Apocalypse, Kadavar, and others.

Its just that the ones listed were my favorite bands...

on the plus side, I LOVE Dying Fetus's new album.

groph

Reaction score
Or am I just be stubborn about these recent releases?

Nevermore: Obsidian Conspiracy -yes.......breaks my heart
Suffocation: Bloodoath - I don't even want to talk about this. Granted it is their only bad release EVER.
Immolation: Majesty and Decay - not bad, just tried so hard to get into it but cant
Gorgoroth: Quantos Possunt ad Satanitatem Trahunt- doesn't suck, but I find it really lacking. No fury, no beauty like when Gaahl was in.
Behemoth: Evangelion -overly dramatic, over played pile ov shit
Deicide: Till Death Do Us Part - GOD AWFUL. Bless their hearts.
Cannibal Corpse: Evisceration Plague -stale and generic and boring
Nile: Those whom the Gods Detest- same as Behemoth and CC...maybe I'm just growing out of Nile.

Others:
Vital Remains, Dimmu Borgir (they died after Death Cult to be fair), Linkin Park, Metallica, and others i'm missing that I cant think of right now.

On the plus side, Origin and Gorod did quite well :hbang:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

I'll provide my two cents for anyone who cares.

Nevermore - Never really been a fan of them. Obviously they're monstrous players but I can't get into that vocal style. So I'd probably agree with you that Obsidian Conspiracy isn't that great.

Suffocation - Blood Oath isn't their BEST out there, to me their best is probably something like Pierced From Within but I liked Blood Oath quite a bit. Mental Hemhorrage is now one of my favorite Suffocation songs. I like how they cleaned up their guitar tone a bit so it's less terrible sounding. Suffocation are certainly one of my favorite bands.

Immolation - A friend was nearly holding me at gunpoint to try out the new album, so I did, listened to it the whole way through and I couldn't tell when one song started and one ended. I found it to be a total borefest, and the same goes for any other Immolation I've heard.

Gorgoroth - Haven't heard this new one yet, but since Gaahl isn't in it I might give it a shot. Gaahl is the definition of a pretentious dweeb. I can't like that guy. Though I do like a fair share of Gorgoroth songs, it just eats at me that I hate their vocalist as a human being. His vocals are totally evil though.

Behemoth - I really liked Evangelion. I found their previous release, whatever that was called to be really stale. Demigod was the pinnacle of their sound, and Evangelion kind of builds on that but it's more atmospheric. I don't think it's quite as good as Demigod, but that doesn't mean Behemoth should stop making albums (not trying to imply that this is what you or anyone else is meaning).

Deicide - Yeah, found that new album pretty boring. Seems Deicide's good stuff is their older stuff.

Cannibal Corpse - I didn't care for Evisceration Plague for a while but it eventually grew on me. Their super violent sound is pretty cool but I still miss the fucked up riffs on albums like Gore Obsessed and Bloodthirst, which they surely have not topped. Still, if I want to hack zombies apart in dungeons in Diablo II, nothing beats Cannibal Corpse as a soundtrack.

Nile - I was so enthralled with this album. The tone is much more clear. Yeah, they still sound exactly the same with each song, using that same scale over and over and over and they're kind of shitty guitarists but I think as a band Nile are pretty damn good. I really like this new album. Definitely my favorite Nile.

Now, to make this post painfully long I'll start my list of lame recent releases.

Devourment "Unleash the Carnivore" - Holy Moses, guys. The first 13 seconds of the album are brutal as shit, the rest of it is "DUGGADUN DUGGADUN DUGGADUN DUGGADUN" ad infinitum. I don't think it's possible to make a more brutal album than Butcher the Weak, at least if you're a slam band. They need to incorporate more spastic rhythms. What makes a slam band boring is the constant chugging. When they get all fucked up and all over the place, with the chugs thrown in where they're needed, a slam band has serious potential.

Slayer "World Painted Blood" - Trying too hard, they're like 50 and have written all the riffs they possibly could. Just stop making new music and just tour until you're all dead, plz. WPB sounds really weak. There is no monster guitar tone like there was on GHUA, and no wicked catchy riffs like on their old stuff. Christ Illusion was fairly lackluster as well. Flesh Storm is the only song off of that album that I really like. WPB is just weak. Really unfortunate as Slayer has the ultimate honor of being the band that really got me into extreme metal.

Decrepit Birth "Diminishing Between Worlds" or something like that - Really prefer the ...And Time Begins sound. That's basically it. I just don't like the new direction they're going in, whatever.

Craptopsy "The Unspoken King" - One word. Flohawk. Their crappy new album can be forgiven since they're a band who can do whatever they want to with their own music, but once you start ragging on your fans you lose all respect. They're an underground metal band, not fucking Elton John. Their fans are all they have, so they shouldn't disrespect them. This seems to be a lot of Flo's ego coming out. When I saw them live (they ripped up, I won't lie) Flo brought weights with him as if he were about to start bench pressing out in the parking lot. Then, during the sound check, when the kick drum was already loud enough to break your ribs, he demanded it be turned up some more. Pretty much all you could hear was the drums and one of the guitarists, sort of. The new vocalist is fine by me, I don't really like Lord Worm's vocals. Mike DeSalvo was easily my favorite Cryptopsy vocalist. Also, Eric's shirt that said "DEATH METAL OR FUCK OFF" on the back kind of came off as elitist douchebaggery. They should probably tone themselves down a bit, they aren't anywhere near famous.

Inazone

Reaction score
As far as Behemoth goes, Evangelion didn't offer any of the chaotic stuff that I expect from them, namely the songs building up to some solo that just came in, kicked my ass, and faded back into awesome riffage. The drums and vocals are more prominent (this started on Apostasy, but is more obvious on Evangelion) and the guitars just don't impress me. Apostasy wasn't as good as Demigod in my opinion, but it grew on me over the course of several listens. Evangelion isn't doing that.

Someone mentioned Abysmal Dawn, and they're quite good. So is Martriden, albeit in a completely different style. I've seen both bands live and was blown away. I'm still in love with melodeath, and at the same time the last Pestilence album is one of my favorites in a way that no other album could be.

Some musicians seem opposed to having anything "catchy" in their songs, to the point that melody or hooks or groove are replaced with either 1) sheer heaviness, 2) technicality for the sake of technicality, or a bit of both. My friends always try to recommend bands to me that are strong on the heavy and/or technical stuff on the grounds that I'm a guitarist, but I like me some hooks, dammit!

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
I love Decrepit Birth's direction these days. Basically Death but a couple times more technical. Pretty much the music I've been looking for.

Just reading about Craptopsy in your description makes me want to punch each member square in the nuts as hard as I can.

troyguitar

Reaction score
Nevermore is the only band I like at all on that list and I don't think the album sucks at all, then again we clearly have very different tastes.

skeeballcore

Reaction score
I'm moving the opposite of the OP:

Deftones - "Diamond Eyes" is a solid piece of awesomeness, that doesn't disappoint in any way.

Dillinger Escape Plan - "Option Paralysis" an awesome return to form, a truly memorable and rocking disc

Sevendust - "Cold Day Memory" - I am loving this right now, and I haven't bought a Sevendust disc since the first one. There's some awesome harmony work going on all over the CD.

Also, I really enjoyed the last Suffo album. It had some really awesome, memorable stuff going on.

the unbearable

doesn't djent, sorry
Reaction score
#3 most dangerous city in the U.S.... makes you fe

dude squared! i haven't listened to nile since my copy of annihilation of the wicked got stolen because it was in my cd player when it got stolen. i actually miss the cd more, the player was kinda shitty.

but anyway, i will obtain this new one and aotw asap!

Deftones - "Diamond Eyes" is a solid piece of awesomeness, that doesn't disappoint in any way.

x100 on the new deftones, btw

windu

Reaction score
im almost 100% positive necrophagist new album will not dissapoint, not if its taking them this long to write it lol

Tomo009

Reaction score
I felt compelled to register to say that I disagree with your' opinion on Evangelion and Those Whom The Gods Detest. Neither may be their respective bands best, but they are great albums nethertheless.

Mindcrime1204

Reaction score
Well, its no surprise to me really that all the death metal bands you listed have boring releases. You can only make the same song so many times I guess...

However... Nevermore? Why are people not liking their new release?
This surprises me as well!

xiphoscesar

Reaction score
well you got to take in consideration all the work they put into their albums

i meant wouldn't it suck to work your ass off to put songs together and record and then for someone to just say they suck?

')