Allan Holdsworth, Marshall Harrison, Brett Garsed and Greg Howe.

• Thread starter Excalibur
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Well, if I said Prog Metal pioneers, that would've been TOO easy :D
I remember about 4 years ago, before I even started playing guitar (Geez, I sound like Joey Dahlia now.) I heard it in a certain song, which is this :p

< starts at about 0:59-ish.

Ah, I see it! Good stuff.:yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Headbangers ball!! Proper old school with poodle hair, falsetto vocals and reverse headstocks. Not to mention jeans so tight you can tell what religion people are :)

(I shall make a mental note to dig out some old FW when I get a minute)

Reaction score
Headbangers ball!! Proper old school with poodle hair, falsetto vocals and reverse headstocks. Not to mention jeans so tight you can tell what religion people are :)

(I shall make a mental note to dig out some old FW when I get a minute)
PLEASE, please, download "Fata Morgana".
Oh, that reminds me, I got my comments on a Fates Warning video downvoted because someone claimed they were "
Antiquus (3 months ago) Show Hide
+4
Marked as spam Reply | Spam

No, it didn't.

Fates Waring were the top US power band at the John Arch era."

And "
thirdhorde (1 week ago) Show Hide
Marked as spam Reply | Spam

YOU should learn your music... this is classic US power..."

And I said they were classic US Prog Metal =/

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
YouTube - RozarSmacco's Channel

Second legato lesson...

Interesting that he does actually use pull-offs for certain licks...

Something's just occurred to me regarding Brett; he actually picks more notes than most legato players. According to his second video he tends to pick the first two notes on any given string, but has such a refined pick attack that it blends perfectly with the hammer-ons. I guess the same applies to pull-offs; as Marshall said in the video above, it's not the technique itself that's an issue, but when it becomes over-accentuated to the extent that it interferes with the legato tone.

Reaction score
YouTube - RozarSmacco's Channel

Second legato lesson...

Interesting that he does actually use pull-offs for certain licks...

Something's just occurred to me regarding Brett; he actually picks more notes than most legato players. According to his second video he tends to pick the first two notes on any given string, but has such a refined pick attack that it blends perfectly with the hammer-ons. I guess the same applies to pull-offs; as Marshall said in the video above, it's not the technique itself that's an issue, but when it becomes over-accentuated to the extent that it interferes with the legato tone.
My picking blends perfectly with my Legato too, it's my fault for neglecting dynamics :(

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Talking of Brett - is the "Rock Fusion" DVD available anywhere? I know its been out of print but I can't even track down a second hand copy :(

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Talking of Brett - is the "Rock Fusion" DVD available anywhere? I know its been out of print but I can't even track down a second hand copy :(

As far as I know it's never been issued on DVD, but REH seem to be bringing out their classic vids on DVD at a fairly decent rate, so hopefully it'll be reissued soon.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
If you haven't already seen it, Kotzen's is excellent for legato ideas.:)

Now that one I do have on my PC - and I owned both videos when they were first released. Greg's intro solo is just....staggering.....to be honest (for what its worth, Mr Kotzen's is fairly mind blowing) I haven't heard many guitarists who can combine their musical and technical sensibilities to that level.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Now that one I do have on my PC - and I owned both videos when they were first released. Greg's intro solo is just....staggering.....to be honest (for what its worth, Mr Kotzen's is fairly mind blowing) I haven't heard many guitarists who can combine their musical and technical sensibilities to that level.

Greg needs to do a new video, as his REH one's based on his earliest style, and doesn't really cover a lot of the later developments such as his hybrid picking, hammer-ons-from-nowhere (at least not to the extent he later developed them) or playing over changes.

Reaction score
Yeah, Greg's sure made alot of progress since then, which seems almost impossible to comprehend :D

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
Can anyone explain this further to me? I can't understand how you can descend using hammer ons. It's completely illogical

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Hammer-on backwards :)

Its a slight misnomer in places because There's a certain element of pulling as playing hammer-ons like that across the neck in some descending lines is tricky to get your fingers and head around but essentially most of the time where you would pull-off you hammer on to the next note down.

Even if you are forced to do a pull-off through technical limitations the trick is not to pull the string sharp to avoid altering the tone of the notes.

HammerAndSickle

Guitar Comrade
Reaction score
But the reason pull-offs exist is because you can't hammer on backwards.

If you just pick up the finger from the string without the pulling motion, the note dies because the pulling motion is what continues the string to vibrate. A hammer on works without attacking the string again because bringing the string against the fretwire hard enough makes it vibrate. You can't do that in reverse.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
But the reason pull-offs exist is because you can't hammer on backwards.

If you just pick up the finger from the string without the pulling motion, the note dies because the pulling motion is what continues the string to vibrate. A hammer on works without attacking the string again because bringing the string against the fretwire hard enough makes it vibrate. You can't do that in reverse.

I'll be sure to tell Allan and Co :)

You can hammer-on descending lines, thats not really in question considering how many people actually do so is it? As I said there's an element of pulling off but most of the impetus for the note doesn't come from that, its the finger the note currently being played hammering onto the string as you would while ascending.

Its really tricky, but I'm not going to get into a "Yes it is" vs "No it isn't" argument - you don't have to play that way after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')