Allan Holdsworth, Marshall Harrison, Brett Garsed and Greg Howe.

• Thread starter Excalibur
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I'm not trying to argue, I just legitimately don't understand.

And Marshall Harrison is an awful teacher XD

Try and think of it as being more akin to keyboard technique; only one finger's in contact with the neck at a time (no pre-emptive fingering like in more conventional technique), and each note is sounded by the finger striking directly downwards onto the fret, rather than sideways like pull-offs.

Dyingsea

Reaction score

And Marshall Harrison is an awful teacher XD

The guy is so versed in guitar he just starts going off at a mind numbing pace... literally. I wonder in person if he can personify his ideas better, though 10 minutes isn't much to get such complex ideas across either especially on video. I can handle this legato video, but his other videos where he gets into all kinds of true theory ideas and phrases is where he just goes off the deep end in terms of pace.

Anthony

Banned
Reaction score
This technique is really hard, but it really exposes all my flaws in my legato playing.

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
The guy is so versed in guitar he just starts going off at a mind numbing pace... literally. I wonder in person if he can personify his ideas better, though 10 minutes isn't much to get such complex ideas across either especially on video. I can handle this legato video, but his other videos where he gets into all kinds of true theory ideas and phrases is where he just goes off the deep end in terms of pace.

When I asked him on youtube he mentioned there could well be an instructional DVD coming out very soon - I think he just tries to put as much information as possible into 10 minutes which can be very overwhelming :)

It's true...you do have to absolutely spot-on with every aspect of your fretting technique.
:agreed:

There's a reason not many players really master/become well known for this technique. If you look at Marshall's and Allan's guitars the action is insanly low to allow this kind of precise playing to occour.

Yngtchie Blacksteen

Reaction score
It's a very strange and unnatural way of playing, since you have to lift one finger before fretting the next. Normally, you just pull off the note, and you already have the next finger in place, so the note sounds automatically. With this technique, you have to be extremely accurate, otherwise the note will get choked.

So if you're playing E-D-C# on the high E-string, the way to do this will be something like this: Pick the E note(12th fret), then lift your finger off the string and immediately hammer on the D note(10th fret), making sure that the E note ring for as long as possible before sounding the D note. There should be no pause between the notes, so try and practice this slowly, letting the notes sustain between each note. Okay, and do the same thing for the C# note, lifting your finger off the D note(10th fret), and immediately hammering on to the C#(9th fret), leaving no pause between the finger lifting off the string, and the next finger hammering on the string.

Hope that clears things up a bit.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
:agreed:

There's a reason not many players really master/become well known for this technique. If you look at Marshall's and Allan's guitars the action is insanely low to allow this kind of precise playing to occour.

I also noticed, when I just started trying this technique a bit more, I needed compression too, whereas for 'normal' legato I only need amp gain and no aid from a compression device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')