Allan Holdsworth

• Thread starter Vegetta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Splinterhead

Sojourner
Contributor
Reaction score
Allan has performed many times at the music school that I teach at and I've been lucky enough to talk to him extensively about his career. He's the epitome of humility. His approach to guitar is completely unorthodox which I think gives him his unusual voice on the guitar.
Some of my favorite recordings are the first UK record, Bill Bruford's "One Of A Kind", and Tony Williams "Believe It" which has the legendary Protocosmos on it. A couple of other great ones are Metal Fatigue and Hard Hat Area. The guy is pure genius.

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
yeah man holdsworth isn't a nobody on SS! hes one of the gods around here man :yesway:

I had a song [before the lady came and sodomized my itunes] called 'Master Strokes' I think it was with Bill Bruford on drums - It has really awesome playing on it, If I said beautiful It'd be an insult...

Joel

Reaction score
I would recommend Sixteen Men Of Tain and None Too Soon. But you really need to own the track Devil Take The Hindmost. Holdsworth is, in my mind, the best guitarist in the world (or at least in his genre.)

rahul_mukerji

Reaction score
Just the fact that people from all walks of life look up to him from John Mclaughlin to Eddie Van Halen and Vai and Satch should tell you the monster player he is.

I like his music. Took a long while to get used to, and even now its a bit out there, but his lines and his playing are quite something else. No one gets anywhere close to his phrasings / stylings. Very unique.

Derryl Gabel and Tim Miller might come close, but not quite.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan. Shred died the day i heard Allan Holdsworth. My favourite album is probably I.O.U., almost makes me wish he did more work with vocalists. its a shame Paul williams and him don't get along :(. Also, I just got Sixteen men of tain this past Christmas. His tone is sick, there's very little string noise/attack at all anymore, some very good sounding synthaxe patches as well.
Apparently he has two new albums in the can, plus he owns the rights to all of his old albums as well. Any words on when they're coming out (new albums)?

Overtone

Reaction score
No clue. He was selling reissue of Secrets at the show I went to :)

shadowlife

Contributor
Reaction score
One of the most original, important, and ground breaking guitar players of all time IMO. I recommend Sixteen Men Of Tain and Wardenclyffe Tower, but Road Games is also essential even though it has vocals.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
Allan is amazing. Very unique tone and style. If only the guy would start a death metal band I would probably listen to him more. I wish I could wrap my head around his style off playing, that kind of stuff is just beyond my comprehension.

After having an incredibly electric career for the past 40 years, performing some of the most out there music available, I doubt he'd get involved in anything as staid as death metal :shrug:

progmetaldan

Reaction score
After having an incredibly electric career for the past 40 years, performing some of the most out there music available, I doubt he'd get involved in anything as staid as death metal :shrug:

I agree, and I heard that he really wasn't very happy about the song with Derek Sherinian where Derek has him playing over some Zakk Wylde metal riffery, so I don't think he'd be keen for Death Metal either. I think fusionmetal in the Planet X vein is probably the heaviest he's into...

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
I loved his guest solos on the last Planet X album, great album overall too.

dougsteele

Doug Steele
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think he's fucked up in a good way, but for me, he's like Zappa. I know he's a genius, but about half of his shit goes over my head and (to me) it sounds like serious shit. Ha ha ha..

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Fantastic fluid Player.

Honestly though, I'm more appealed to his chordal choices. House of Mirrors is just mind boggling.

Latest posts

')