Alleged Murder of Turkish Journalist in Saudi embassy

• Thread starter Drew
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
So diplomatic immunity wasn't the reason why agents working on behalf of a foreign regime were not charged with assaulting US citizens, live on television during peaceful protests. I stand corrected.

I guess it was a blind assumption on my part. It's not every day a mob attacks innocent people, said mob arrested, then released to flee back to their Country of origin.

Just saying that clearly the administration took and was approved for over-riding diplomatic immunity. If they had failed to do so, I would see your point, but that's not what the citation shows happened. Whether they then decided not to press further because of larger political strategies is a separate concern, not related to immunity.

*throws narad-minutes in trash bin*

Hey, that's my job!

David Palmer

Reaction score
Just saying that clearly the administration took and was approved for over-riding diplomatic immunity. If they had failed to do so, I would see your point, but that's not what the citation shows happened. Whether they then decided not to press further because of larger political strategies is a separate concern, not related to immunity.

Hey, that's my job!

Indeed.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened but I'd wager it was less about political strategy or more about the hassle and the potential embarrassment.

Turkey would not have shipped their agents back to stand trial, especially with the US still not giving up the Cleric, Gulen.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Turkey would not have shipped their agents back to stand trial, especially with the US still not giving up the Cleric, Gulen.
That's a far cry from diplomatic immunity though. That's refusing to extradite citizens to face trial abroad, not refusing to allow them to be charged at all. Which seems like I might be splitting hairs, but if you were one of the thugs and you happened to travel back to the States for some reason, that distinction becomes VERY important. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David Palmer

Reaction score
That's a far cry from diplomatic immunity though. That's refusing to extradite citizens to face trial abroad, not refusing to allow them to be charged at all. Which seems like I might be splitting hairs, but if you were one of the thugs and you happened to travel back to the States for some reason, that distinction becomes VERY important. :lol:

I agree.. The distinction is clear.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Now what happens with Trump basically saying he's not going to punish Saudi Arabia at all?

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Im so disappointed with how 'Merica handled/is 'handling' this. Kinda makes me want to puke a bit.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm pretty pissed. He flat out said "Whats one life to billions of dollars in business?"

If you answered "your soul", congrats. Have a cookie.

And yes, I'm away previous leaders have had shady dealings with the Saudis for a long time. This is just straight up ass kissing.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
You know, I watched Lethal Weapon 2 for the first time (embarrassingly, lol) this weekend. I think I now know why NateFalcon is so dead set in believing that there are massive amounts of crime being committed in the United States and going unpunished because of "diplomatic immunity."

If so, well... Diplomatic immunity doesn't work anything like the present it as in Lethal Weapon 2, man. :rofl:

zappatton2

Reaction score
You know, I watched Lethal Weapon 2 for the first time (embarrassingly, lol) this weekend. I think I now know why NateFalcon is so dead set in believing that there are massive amounts of crime being committed in the United States and going unpunished because of "diplomatic immunity."

If so, well... Diplomatic immunity doesn't work anything like the present it as in Lethal Weapon 2, man. :rofl:
...It's just been revoked.

David Palmer

Reaction score
I'm pretty pissed. He flat out said "Whats one life to billions of dollars in business?"

If you answered "your soul", congrats. Have a cookie.

And yes, I'm away previous leaders have had shady dealings with the Saudis for a long time. This is just straight up ass kissing.

I agree.

It's as if the draining of the swamp is turning into the awakening of the Kraken.