Allrighty, my signature Ibanez eight, the RM8!

• Thread starter Variant
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
Well, since I already posted one of my mock-ups to another thread, I thought I'd finish the other three and make a dedicated thread. I, like many, are a bit underwhelmed by how mundane most of Ibanez' designs are, so despite not having a band/project/otherwise (but I am a mechanical designer :agreed:) here is my signature model eight-string, the Infinity 8. :shred:

It's basically an evolution of an earlier idealized seven-string design I did, fit to the new eight-string motif. The body shape is a bit like the archtop Sabre, but with a thicker (and slightly contoured) back (like a Brain Moore Custom), and longer, more RG-esque horns, accented with chamfer cuts. The thicker body adds a good bit more mass over an S, and rids it of that eyesore top-tilt jack. Construction is a 5-piece neck-through, with ash body wings, and a one-piece maple top (transparent finish or not, I like how it sharpens the tone)... and yes, the transparent models get AAA quilts on the fingerboard and headstock face to match! But no binding, bursts, fades, pickguards, rings, or other garish stuff... makes things look overdone, IMHO. :rant: In fact, the original design had no fingerboard inlays (I'm not a fan), but after experimenting with the off-sides ellipses, I found that it actually balanced the visual elements of the design without cluttering the fingerboard. :idea:

Scale length is 27.0", same as the RG2228, but the bridge is a honest-to-goodness Edge Pro 8, and includes a tremolo blocker that can be installed by hardtail purists. Standard electronic gear... dual humbuckers (EMG 808), 3-way switch, volume, and tone knob. I'd probably drop piezos and a 13-pin RMC output on my own personal guitar, but most guitarists wouldn't pay for/use the VG/MIDI stuff. Tone should be somewhere between the warmth of a Strat and the tightness of a Les Paul, but with a good deal more brightness on the top. Decent sustain without sounding spongy, and not too much midrange quack. So, there you go, what do you all think? Pics and specs are as follows:

Infinity8lineupdigitalpostsize.jpg

Specifications

Construction: Neck-through-body, with one-piece maple top
Scale length: 27.0” (tuned F# B E A D G B E)

Body Wings: Swamp ash
Shape: Infinity 8 (archtop w/ semi-contoured back), with deep-cut, chamfered cutaways
Neck: Infinity 8, 5-piece maple/walnut neck, with Wizard II-8 profile
Fingerboard: Ebony, 430 mm radius, (body-matched quilt maple on models with transparent finishes),
Inlays: Offset ellipse fret markers
Frets: 24, 6100 extra jumbo nickel
Headstock: Infinity 8 reverse, 15-degree tilt back (with body-matched quilt maple veneer on models with transparent finishes)
Bridge: Edge Pro 8, with installable tremolo block
Nut: Toplok 8, with string retainer bar
Tuners: Gotoh, 4 per side
Bridge Pickup: EMG 808
Neck Pickup: EMG 808
Controls: 3-way pickup selector, volume, and tone knob

Available Finishes

QTK = Transparent black over maple quilt / cosmo black hardware / mother-of-pearl inlays
QTC = Transparent crimson over maple quilt / cosmo black hardware / mother of pearl inlays
QTW = Whitewash over maple quilt / with satin nickel hardware / black pearloid inlays
BK = Standard black with ebony fingerboard / with standard black hardware / mother of pearl inlays

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I'm all about it, I think it looks great...

I just am not sure about a quilt maple veneer on the fretboard. Don't get me wrong, it might be very cool, but on that black and red one, I think the ebony would look just fine. I've actually never seen a veneered fingerboard before.

But I would definitely get one!

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
hahaha sweet the white one reminds me of TM Revolution and The Alfee :lol:

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
I'm all about it, I think it looks great...

I just am not sure about a quilt maple veneer on the fretboard. Don't get me wrong, it might be very cool, but on that black and red one, I think the ebony would look just fine. I've actually never seen a veneered fingerboard before.

But I would definitely get one!

I figured you'd veneer ebony or maple as you wouldn't waste a cut of AAA quilt maple the entire thickness of the centerline of your average fingerboard. It was actually inspired by the Jackson Phil Collen (Def Leppard) model, which if you opt for a clearcoat the quilt runs from the body up the neck (but they don't top the headstock). I saw one in G.C. years ago an I about peed myself... my immediate next thought was, "What if you did a trans-black quilt?" :eek: ...and I sprinted towards Photoshop.

jaxadam

Reaction score
I think it might actually be a pretty cool idea, because I am all about some flames and quilts.

nikt

LACS Lover
Reaction score
they look a lot like Infinity 7 models that never were produced, I can't find mock ups from jemsite now :/

I like Your design but I wouldn't buy a 27inch scale 8string guitar.

skinhead

Manager / RHLC ©
Reaction score
I love that guitar! You just got to register the model, and send the image with the specs to Hoshino.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Flip the headstock and give me a red and black one.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
30" scale, Lundgren M-8's, and a free Tremol-No thrown in, and I would make sweet, sweet love to that red one.

Shawn

ESP • Ibanez
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Very cool designs. I love the whitewash one the best. Nicely done! :hbang:

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Okay that is the sickest guitar I've ever seen. Sign me up!

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
Ibanez should hire you for R&D. They would sell a lot more guitars. :D

')