Alnico vs Ceramic bridge position 7 string

• Thread starter groovemetal81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groovemetal81

groovemetal
Reaction score
Let me start by saying I have been an EMG guy since 2001, all guitars I owned had 81/85, 81/60, even my Jackson SLAT7 MS has a 707 (Alnico V). The first fishman fluence moderns I played were in my Steven Carpenter TE 607B, other than the goofy positioning of the pickups I like them so I had Jackson built my next American Custom shop six string with a set of moderns! This is more of a PSA I just went through a nightmare with my brand new ESP LTD Arctic metal M-7HTB. First of all LTD says these are made in South Korea which mine is they also say they have a plastic nut which I replaced and finding out during the replacement it was a graph Tech Black tusq. Some folks are buying these guitars and they're stamped made in Indonesia.

The real issue at hand here is the EMG 81-7H TW. This is an 81 series pickup by EMG made for 7 strings and it contains a coil tap for splitting the PU. From the minute I purchased this guitar I could get nothing but mud regardless of playing through: modeler, tube amp, solid state amp, plugins, direct in and reamping after the fact. I started doing some studying I found out the Alnico 5 magnet is what the EMG 707 is based on, this was made for and with Dino from fear factory. Multiple forms stated that alnico magnets are only good for neck position and you won't get that good harsh crunch. Well I knew this was not a net issue or string issue because with a graphite nut brand new strings unplugged the guitar head beautiful tone ( still talking about my new Arctic metal) I decided to go with the fishman modern alnico 5 open core modern. I left all the EMG hardware in there meaning the jack but I did change the pot fishman sends you two pots one with a coil tap and one that's just a typical 25k. With the new fishman fluence open core modern set to voice one and a single volume 25k volume pot the tone came to life the minute I plugged it in! I've been having some EMG issues lately on my six strings as a matter of fact I just bought a brand new Charvel with open core classics that I love! If anybody out there is not happy with their ceramic humbucker on their 7 string I challenge you to give the open core modern alnico 5 or even the 707 by EMG a shot! I was concerned I was going to have to try and sell this guitar because nothing I did would fix the tone! With fishman there are different voices you can set to depending on how you wire it and use the quick connect plugins. Mindset to voice one I got great clarity the mud is gone and regardless of the amp or software I play through I'm ecstatic! I just wanted to share this for those that were in my shoes and are hesitant to spend the money! Active PU and 🧲 type: Alnico 5 over ceramic for clarity and crispness! My pinch harmonics no longer sound like I'm jamming in a cave with midrange only! Hope this helps somebody out there I was going to do another one of these on the EMG 57 horrible 60 cycle hung issue as well! Merry Christmas seven-string.org community! May your stockings be full of Sweetwater and Reverb gift cards!

IMG_20231218_150410.jpgIMG_20231218_145747.jpg

Latest posts