Alternate picking - exaggerating?

• Thread starter Skin Coffin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Skin Coffin

Reaction score
Hey, I'm not really a beginner but I decided to post this here.
Anyway, I don't know if you're going to find this a stupid question, but.. is exaggerating in alternate picking a bad thing? Let me explain, every time I play some song or I learn something from a tab I always play it in alternate picking. The reason I'm asking is because in some vids I see the Pro's playing without alternating, they just hit the string(s) come back to the top and hit them again downwards.
So, is it bad or good?

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
So are you saying should you bother learning everything or alternate picking or only do it when needed?

Skin Coffin

Reaction score
So are you saying should you bother learning everything or alternate picking or only do it when needed?

what I'm asking is if it's bad to play parts, that usually ppl play normally (not alternate picking), with alternate picking. Like it sounds different or what.. cause to me is much easier, like a way to simplify the playability and to not tire my hand.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
what I'm asking is if it's bad to play parts, that usually ppl play normally (not alternate picking), with alternate picking. Like it sounds different or what.. cause to me is much easier, like a way to simplify the playability and to not tire my hand.

You get a better attack with downpicking, it sounds more solid. Its completely up to you. If it sounds good and feels comfortable, do what you want. If you think a part might benefit from downpicking then do that. I'm only just getting my alternate picking up to scratch, so I used to be a complete downpicker.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score

Play how you are comfortable and develope your own feel. Different is not a bad thing, it is just different. As long as you are rocking out, and having fun, and getting the sound you want (opposed to what you are used to hearing) just do this :hbang:

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Play how you are comfortable and develope your own feel. Different is not a bad thing, it is just different. As long as you are rocking out, and having fun, and getting the sound you want (opposed to what you are used to hearing) just do this :hbang:

:agreed:

Skyblue

Reaction score
It's all a matter of comfort and sound. if it sounds like you want it to, and it's comfortable for you, do it.
I'd still make sure you've got a few other techniques down- who knows, they might come in handy.

Skin Coffin

Reaction score
Thanks, guys! I was just worried because my downpicking isn't the same as before due to alternate picking

Disco Volante

Reaction score
The comments here are very good and alternate picking can take you a long way. However, I still think it's worth mentioning that there are some passages and styles where it simply isn't feasible. Sometimes other methods such as sweep or hybrid picking can be cleaner sounding or outright necessary at faster tempos. Ultimately, it's still up to you and how you want to play. Keep in mind that having more tools in your toolbox certainly can't hurt though.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
Using alternate picking instead of downpicking isn't bad in itself, but it sounds different. Just play master of puppets with alternate picking and see why it's a clear no in this case.
If you're doing covers I'd stick with how it was originaly recorded except if you intend to do heavily modified versions.
Sometimes you won't have a choice though: I offer a lifetime of free beer to the guy that can play Raining Blood with all downpicking. :lol: (Ihsahn if ever you read this please don't try to beggar me)

Evil7

LowCrushingMetal
Reaction score
Using alternate picking instead of downpicking isn't bad in itself, but it sounds different. Just play master of puppets with alternate picking and see why it's a clear no in this case.
If you're doing covers I'd stick with how it was originaly recorded except if you intend to do heavily modified versions.
Sometimes you won't have a choice though: I offer a lifetime of free beer to the guy that can play Raining Blood with all downpicking. :lol: (Ihsahn if ever you read this please don't try to beggar me)

I agree... If you are doing a cover, It is proper to downpick where you are supposed to and not take the easy way out of anternate picking..

If you are writing something yourself... Do what you wish..

I also agree that downpicking has a different more solid attack.. You can hear this moreso when using more then one string.. powerchords n such.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree... If you are doing a cover, It is proper to downpick where you are supposed to and not take the easy way out of anternate picking..

If you are going to play a cover and not contribute anything or do something different to further the song and make it yours, don't bother playing a cover.

The comments here are very good and alternate picking can take you a long way. However, I still think it's worth mentioning that there are some passages and styles where it simply isn't feasible. Sometimes other methods such as sweep or hybrid picking can be cleaner sounding or outright necessary at faster tempos. Ultimately, it's still up to you and how you want to play. Keep in mind that having more tools in your toolbox certainly can't hurt though.

I agree to an extend here, but alt picking sweep lines is monster good practice. I only sweep when doing full out, Otherwise I stick to a more alternate method, even playing across 4 strings, The power behind it is excellent. Hybrid is excellent for buying a second of time for your pick on long string skips, and I love double stops though.

Skin Coffin

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why I was asking, Master of Puppets it's actually a song I play with alternate picking (up-down-down) and Metallica plays it with down picking.

Self Bias

Banned
Reaction score
It is easier to get a steady beat chopping down like that, but it's very possible to be brutally in the pocket with alt picking. It takes more practice, though. Thing about downpicking is, if you can get the 5th on the next string in there as well when p.m.ing at those kinds of tempos, it would be one of the idiocyncracies that separates you from the pack of dipshits at your local Guitar Center, or whatever the Portuguese equivalent is.
If you put enough effort into fast downpicking, Puppets won't be difficult. You can get inspired by that video from "The Berserker" or get into some of Dino's latest work to bring it to a level beyond that. Check out Nile's "Flaming Pits of the Duat". I can't play that.
The ONLY single picking style that is potentially feasible for ANY given situation is economy picking, but you have to play 5 hours a day to keep it up.

ZackP3750

Reaction score
As retarded as this sounds, I actually started playing guitar using only upstrokes (!), one of the first songs I learned being Master of Puppets. I did this for awhile until I saw an instructional vid of John Petrucci going over the importance of alternate picking. I alternate pick nearly everything I play now, and actually have a difficult time keeping beat with only downstrokes. Best advice would be to just mix it up, do whatever is comfortable.

Kr1zalid

Archrocker
Reaction score
That part is nonsense. Muscles don't forget that easily.

Provided you have a great quality period of practice I think... Focused, disciplined, no rushing kind of play helps to keep your finger muscles to "listen" to your brain commands! Just my opinion anyway... Forgive my bad language :flame:

wannabguitarist

Contributor
Reaction score
I pretty much alternate pick everything (or do some weird combo of alternate and downpicking on certain riffs); it's just easier for me and doesn't sound too different for what I'm trying to do. I also find the constant down-up-down of alternate picking makes it easier for me to stay on time :yesway: