Alternating between a 6 string and an 8 string

• Thread starter spicevam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

spicevam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey. I was wondering if switching between these two frequently could cause any problems in technique given for example that 8 strings have a longer scale length which could throw off the muscle memory that's been built on a 6 a bit, right? My first 8 string is on its way to me (so excitedddd) but I still will be using my 6 and am just wondering if there's anything I should be ready for.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

akinari

Reaction score
Personally, I've never had many issues switching between any of my guitars. The longer scale length and wider neck of the 8 may take a bit of getting used to, but practicing on the 8 won't hurt your 6 string playing at all. You may feel limited when you go back to the 6, though.

Dayn

Reaction score
Not at all.

The only problem I had was going from my 27" 8-string electric to my 25.5" 8-string classical without fret markers. My muscle memory made me play everything one fret lower, so I put some markers on and problem solved.

Necris

Bonitis.
Reaction score
There will be an adjustment period of with regard to the width of the neck but it won't be terribly long if you're practicing with the 8 consistently. The only noticeable difference I experienced back when I had an 8 (I also went from 6 to 8) was in adapting my muting technique with my fretting and picking hands to compensate for the additional strings potentially ringing out or vibrating sympathetically.

Fis:Destroyer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I spent a few months JUST practicing on my 8 when I first got it, just to get used to not hitting the extra strings. But once I had a handle on it, I’ve never had a problem switching back and forth. If anything I find it super easy to play a 6 after a stretch of playing 8. It’s like picking up a toy.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score
I'd recommend not switching back and forth. I'd been playing my LTD M-1000 the last few days, then picked up my 8 string this morning. The muscle memory in my hand was too strong, and my thumb smashed straight into the back of the neck.

Seriously, it's not that big of a deal and you shouldn't overthink it. Some people talk about having issues switching between Strats and Les Pauls because of the scale length. I'm betting I played guitar for 10 years before I even knew there were different scale lengths.

frank falbo

Reaction score
I like playing 7’s, but if I’m going to switch between them live, like between songs, I actually prefer to switch between 6 & 8 because they feel deliberately different. Switching between 6 & 7 is a smaller difference, and it can mess with my head a little differently.

Vyn

Not a Sparkly Vampire
Contributor
Reaction score
Shouldn't have an issue, nothing a 5-10min warmup can't fix

Pietjepieter

Contributor
Reaction score
Just practice more.

Best advise to any problem!

There is nothing that a lot of practice will not solve :)

I switch between 7 and 8 all the time, no problem. Also scale length, the only real difference i found in big bends on mine red layer (29.5/27.5" scale). And also on the red layer the lower frets are a little width, for instance try to play the the intro riff of sea of lies from Symphoney X on the red layer is... challenge. But that is only due to scale length (3,7,6,7 is a quite a stratch) , but the scale length is quite extreme, nothing to do with 8 strings, on mine other 8 it aint a problem. If you have a 27" 8 string in mine opinion it is just a matter of adjustment for a couple of minutes. Muscle memory will adapt, no problem

dogletnoir

The Anti-Fripp
Reaction score
i play everything from ukulele to full scale (34") six string basses. i spend a lot of my practice time on either the six string bass or a fretless 4 nowadays, and everything else feels much easier to play after that, LOL.
i definitely have no problems switching between my standard 6 string guitars (strats, teles, and RGs for the most part) and my ERGs (.strandberg* Boden OS 8 and Metal 8, and an Ibanez RG 852).

If you end up spending a lot of time playing the eight, just be ready to miss the extra strings when you go back to the six string, LOL.

spicevam

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, everyone. I already got my 8 string a couple of days ago and I adjusted fairly quickly to it. I love the instrument and its range; I feel like I'm discovering the guitar anew lol. Also, I can finally play songs of my favorite 8 string bands (look at my profile pic for an example lol). Picking up the six after playing around with the eight for a while did feel hella weird at first and my playing was kinda clunky but all of these problems are slowly subsiding now so it turns out switching between these two is a non-issue.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Just practice more.

On his episode of Guitar Villains, Jason Richardson basically said there's shit he's written that he can't always play because he hasn't maintained practicing it. That's the answer. Practice until you don't have to think about it. Until if feels the same to play on both.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Not always playing an 8 could actually be better for your wrists, hands and arms in the long term.
Classical 6 necks are nearly as wide as standard electric 8 necks (52 vs 54~56mm). My Bartolex 8 is ~63mm wide at the nut. This does not present a problem with proper technique, good posture, a comfortable neck profile, etc. Consider that neck width is likely not the true root cause in such cases, barring debilitating prior conditions.

Obviously there is a point where this breaks down and neck width becomes a significant obstacle even with proper technique, but for most I don't think 56mm is over that threshold.

Last edited:

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Classical 6 necks are nearly as wide as standard electric 8 necks (52 vs 54~56mm). My Bartolex 8 is ~63mm wide at the nut. This does not present a problem with proper technique, good posture, a comfortable neck profile, etc. Consider that neck width is likely not the true root cause in such cases, barring debilitating prior conditions.

Obviously there is a point where this breaks down and neck width becomes a significant obstacle even with proper technique, but for most I don't think 56mm is over that threshold.

This depends a lot on the guitar. Owned a few Carvin/Kiesel 8s. Hurt my wrists. My Oni does not. The only issues I get from playing it are finger blisters. But I can get that from playing a 6. And frequently do.

')