Alternating between a 6 string and an 8 string

• Thread starter spicevam
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
On his episode of Guitar Villains, Jason Richardson basically said there's shit he's written that he can't always play because he hasn't maintained practicing it. That's the answer. Practice until you don't have to think about it. Until if feels the same to play on both.

Off topic but the level of practice he would have to constantly keep up to be able to play his songs live is insane. If he lets his technique or stamina slack slightly his live show could fall apart. especially since he’s writing even more technically demanding music now.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Off topic but the level of practice he would have to constantly keep up to be able to play his songs live is insane. If he lets his technique or stamina slack slightly his live show could fall apart. especially since he’s writing even more technically demanding music now.

Totally agree. Insane physical conditioning required to play at that level. I’d hate to see what his practice regimen looks like before a tour.

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
Classical 6 necks are nearly as wide as standard electric 8 necks (52 vs 54~56mm). My Bartolex 8 is ~63mm wide at the nut. This does not present a problem with proper technique, good posture, a comfortable neck profile, etc. Consider that neck width is likely not the true root cause in such cases, barring debilitating prior conditions.

Obviously there is a point where this breaks down and neck width becomes a significant obstacle even with proper technique, but for most I don't think 56mm is over that threshold.

I assumed good posture and form was a given. I mostly had in mind neck thickness and profile, which have a big impact on wrist/hand/forearm muscle solicitation, which over time (years) can be problematic.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
That makes even less sense, considering how variable those factors are across both 6 and 8 string necks and how little string count dictates those attributes.

My classical's neck depth at the nut is 19mm, with a standard classical flat U carve. My Agile Renaissance 8 is closer to 21mm with a D profile, which I prefer (& I'd happily take 22mm). 8 string guitars with even thinner necks do exist, though they're quite rare for lack of demand. So do thicker necks. Of course, that's true for 6 strings as well.

I should point out that 19mm is already quite thin to most 6 string players. Fender and Gibson necks are typically in the 20~24mm range. Even Ibanez makes a lot of 20+mm necks.

If you want the feel and leverage of a 6 string C or V neck, you can still accomplish that with the right carve. Maybe not the exact same profile you'd use on a 6, but there's plenty of options. Certain asymmetric profiles work great for that. Won't get your thumb all the way around to the other side like on a 6, but it'll play fine. Thumb centered grips translate great to 8 string, as do flatter carves.

Also realized I goofed the specs on my classical 8 earlier, 63mm is the total string span. Width at the nut is actually 72mm. :lol:

HungryGuitarStudent

Reaction score
That makes even less sense, considering how variable those factors are across both 6 and 8 string necks and how little string count dictates those attributes.

I assumed we were talking about electric guitars. I talked based on the sample of 6 and 8s I’ve played. I concede I haven’t played many 8s and they all had « bulky » necks, hence I made that hypothesis implicitly. Anyhow, I’m more of a 7 and 6 guy, so I should have just not commented and not lost time.

Come to think of it, general arguments seem pretty pointless since physical characteristics of the player (hand size, etc.) and play style play a huge part.

Anyhow, good day.

teamSKDM

Reaction score
I keep a 6 7 and an 8 at all times. cant imagine being any other way. never had issues with technique between them over a decade

Go To Bed Jessica

Reaction score
I can happily go back and forth between my standard scale 6 strings and my 29.4" 8 string without much bother.

The 6 does feel like a toy for a hot minute when you first switch back, but it isn't terrible.

I also have a short scale 6, a bass VI and a regular 4 string bass that all get played fairly often.

You'll get used to it quickly enough.

')