Alternative to the PRS custom 24

• Thread starter jcm900steroids
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
Hey guys my love guitar is the Prs custom 24 however it is a bit pricy for my budget and I fell the SE line is kinda weak could you name me a guitar that is close to the custom 24 ?
copy.png
trans.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aiur55

Reaction score
Carvin has 24 fret carved tops now. You should check them out. However, I do see you are in Europe...that might be a problem for getting a carvin.

xtrustisyoursx

Reaction score
Maybe just look around for a diamond in the rough SE, then start upgrading the parts (Nut, tuners, bridge, pickups, etc)

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
I'm not looking for an equivalent, because I trully love PRS, was just looking for something a bit more affordable. And I'm sure I wouldn't be able to build a good guitar myself eheh. Where I live it's really hard to try guitars out I'd need to get one shipped so finding a diamond on the SE line wont be possible.
The Esp horizon seems the closer to me but I can't test one myself it'd be a blind buy.

Rex Rocker

Reaction score
The feel of a Horizon is not all that close to that of the PRS. The neck profile and the scale lenght make it pretty different-feeling.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
My vote's for Warmoth. I've never had a bad experience with them, or known someone who has. Their finished PRS-style bodies aren't the cheapest, but they'd still be way cheaper than a PRS, and some of them are teh sex.
Buying a raw one and getting it finished/doing it yourself would be even cheaper, too (say, get it stained by a luthier and gloss it yourself). And you could still do an all rosewood neck - mmm....

aslsmm

Banned
Reaction score
how much money are you workin with? dude prs se line sucks. contact warmoth, buy your parts (neck + body) got to stewmac.com get your other parts (bridge, nut, tuners, screws ect) then hop on this forum post a thread that says "needing guitar pickups. have cash" wait for the flood of pm's you'll receive then pick wich ones you want, contact a luthier who has a good reputation and have a good little q+a with him about what steps you should take to get this project done. do what you can to finish it on your own then send him the rest and im guessing for around 200 he should be able to finish it up for you. that is assuming you stain and finish it yourself, wich is pretty simple. hell, you could even put a wanted add on this forum stating how much money you have and exactally what you want and you'll get flooded with pm's.

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
I was thinking about spending 1700-1800 max I'll have a better look at warmoth thanks

Guitar Asylum

Reaction score
Have you given any consideration to the PRS Mira? It falls right in that price range, it's a US made PRS and you get the basic specs of a Cu24:
Mahogany Body/Neck
24 Frets
Regular or Wide Thin neck profile

They also come in a ton of different colors, although there's no top/10 top upgrade option.

PyramidSmasher

Chess Dragon
Reaction score
Honestly, my dad has a Hamer that looks somewhat different, but I think would be an awesome substitute. When I get home I'll get you a picture, but check out Hamers site or something!

Hamer Guitars :: Guitars

Similar to that. Might be it even.

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
Have you given any consideration to the PRS Mira? It falls right in that price range, it's a US made PRS and you get the basic specs of a Cu24:
Mahogany Body/Neck
24 Frets
Regular or Wide Thin neck profile

They also come in a ton of different colors, although there's no top/10 top upgrade option.
I've checked mira its not that great for higher gain and I don't like the tone :\, as far as the used marked go I've only found Prs that are even more expensive than the new ones(maybe the used prs market in the Europe is not that great I dunno)

BMU

Reaction score
how much money are you workin with? dude prs se line sucks.
They do? Usually I hear they're as good as some guitars that are much more expensive. The SE Custom 24 I impulse-bought a while ago has pretty much flawless construction, I have it at 1mm action with no buzz sounds great, very resonant body...yeah. Just needs tuners and better pups. And it has very low frets which I hate, but that's hardly the guitar's fault.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
The SE line certainly does not suck. With a tuner and nut upgrade they are great guitars. Stock pickups aren't the best, but are usable. I have one SE and 2 US models and while the US models obviously are better, the SE fares well for like 1/5th the price.

FLGearnut

Reaction score
you could easily find a used custom 24 in very good to excellent shape for around 1500 USD or sometimes less...theyre out there u just have to look for them....i got my custom 22 10-top in like new condition with case and all factory papers/hangtags,etc for 1700

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
most of the SE line is pretty ugly because of the flat body, and good prs pickups are not easy to get.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
most of the SE line is pretty ugly because of the flat body, and good prs pickups are not easy to get.

The SC's are not flat tops. PRS pickups are ok. You can get a used set of dragon II's or HFS/VB set pretty cheap.

')