Alternative to the PRS custom 24

• Thread starter jcm900steroids
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar Asylum

Reaction score
The SC's are not flat tops. PRS pickups are ok. You can get a used set of dragon II's or HFS/VB set pretty cheap.

Yeah I think the SE SC looks great and I would be happy to play any of the SEs myself. I think for $500-800 they're virtually unbeatable. As I understand, though, PRS pups and other parts aren't as easy to come by in other parts of the world.

My initial suggestion would have been to get a Mira (like I said before) and swap the pups, but now that I see the OP is in Europe, that changes things a bit.

I don't know what availability is like in Europe, but I love Fernandes guitars. I never see anyone mentioning them around here. My #1 right now is a Ravelle Elite w/ a BKP Warpig. Maybe the Dragonfly would work for you? Dragonfly Elite

The Elite series are well built guitars w/ Sustainers, Schaller Locking Tuners, Ebony boards and nice looking tops. It has a 24 3/4" scale opposed to the 25" on the cu24.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jl-austin

Reaction score
The feel of a Horizon is not all that close to that of the PRS. The neck profile and the scale lenght make it pretty different-feeling.

I know the thread has moved on from this, but I would like to agree with this. The ESP stuff doesn't feel anything like American PRS stuff. They are both good, just different.

If you want a cheap PRS, try to find a used one. Although, cheap and PRS just don't seem to go together.

NickB11

Reaction score
Ya man with that budget just get Custom 24 used...ive seen many nice ones go for that in your price range!

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Hey,

1, We just sold in my shop last year a CU24 for about 1800, it was gorgeous, McCarty Wrap, I wanted it soooo badly but hey, that's business. Look around for old stock, they are still floating around.

2, Framus. German brand, very consistant and base a lot of their design aspects on PRS. They're a bit love/hate. I think they play and sound excellent but the looks just aren't for me. Made by Warwick, excellent quality. New ones will cost about what you want to spend, but if you find Old Stock or pre-owned you're looking at about a grand, less so for second hand ones. A friend of mine determined to get a PRS bought a Framus last year under my advise and he's not looked back, I don't think he even wants a PRS now...

Here are a couple of old stock Framuses: Jam Guitars Bristol Current Stock Framus Guitars

I typed PRS Custom 24 into ebay and a few came up including this:

PRS 1992 Custom 24 on eBay (end time 24-Sep-10 17:48:34 BST)

That's a PRE-FACTORY for 1250! If I had 1250 I'd be all over that! Pre-Factory means they're still all hand made from scratch, no machines, and it may even have been made by Paul himself.

BUY IT!!!

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's guys.
That 1992 prs is pickup only :/, didn't like much the look on the Framuses either eheh.
My original "hope" was that the horizon was somewhat closer to the Prs than it really seems to be I'll however check that fernandez guitars better and pray for a catch on ebay ;)

Jogeta

Reaction score
+1 for Framus guitars.

You may not like the look at the moment but the playability and sound will totally win you over.

I've played the Camarillo, Spitfire, Diablo and Renegade Customs (all with the cool inlay on the headstock that they've stopped doing now) and each of them totally floored me!

My biggest guitar regret is not having got one when I had the money. I got a Dean ML and a Peavey 6505 head instead hahaha. FML.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Even thought that '92 CU24 would be well worth the journey (lol!)

PRS Custom 24 items - Get great deals on Guitars items on eBay UK!

There are at least 6 guitars there in your price range! And don't underestimate the CE stuff. If you're considering something other than a CU24, you definitely can't go far wrong with a CE24, they are really great guitars and I personally much prefer the sound (though I'm a bolt-on guy).

PRS CE24 Custom 24 guitar mint condition hardcase CE on eBay (end time 03-Oct-10 22:44:21 BST)

I wouldn't give up the second hand hunt mate, seriously, if a PRS is what you want it's pretty unlikely you'll be AS happy with anything but... Maybe look for a used Tom Anderson? Suhr?

I've settled for guitars in the past, never goes well...

GuitaristOfHell

The Optimist Prime.
Reaction score
In my opinion you can't beat a PRS... unless it's a Taylor haha. So far I haven't found an equivalent to a real CE ect... I hate the SE flat top, total turnoff IMO.

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
For me prs and birds are a must ;D well I found a new PRS custom 24 for 2.2k €, maybe I'll try to convice myself that its worth that much. Its not that I don't have the money to get one the thing is we are in an economic recession and I don't know if I'll need it, Although Prs seems to be the kind of guitar that doesn't loose much when re-selling it.
PRS Custom 24 Electric Guitar, Dark Cherry Sunburst | DV247 2,2k € maybe I should give it a try ? With this amount of money into a guitar I don't know if I'll use it live any-time soon maybe get an horizon nt-ii w/ duncan's and use it all around ?

Jogeta

Reaction score
The Caparison Angelus series might be worth checking out too!

I've had life threatening GAS for a white HGS for about three years haha

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Guys he is trying to find a guitar similar to a PRS... CHEAPER than a PRS. For the price of an Angelus you can buy a PRS as well.

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
Guys he is trying to find a guitar similar to a PRS... CHEAPER than a PRS. For the price of an Angelus you can buy a PRS as well.
Couldn't have said it better for a non PRS guitar the max I'll go will be 1800. Over that I'd rather get a real PRS custom 24 for 2.2k

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
The PRS Custom 22 is a good alternative to the Custom 24. It just uses different pickups and 2 less frets.

White Cluster

Gives Life Meaning
Reaction score
Just save and get the fucking PRS . You won't be happy unless you do.The Ce24 is an amazing guitar as well.I sold mine to upgrade to my CU24 but part of me wishes I didn't sell it cause it sounded and played amazing.Check The Gear Page and Birds And Moons forums. You're bound to find something that suits your fancy and your budget.

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
One thing, watch out for DV247 dude, they say they have stuff in stock which they don;t, it's always been a bit shifty. They advertise stuff at old prices then email you when you buy it saying it's not available at that price and you have to pay x pounds more. You also never see the guitar you're gunna get!

Just surf around the big dealers, last year, you could pick up a 24 for that sort of money, there's bound to be some old/clearance stock lying around. As a PRS dealer, I can tell you it's not the sort of guitar we like sitting on the shelf for long, it costs us money!!!

jcm900steroids

Reaction score
Maybe I should rephrase what I'm looking in a guitar. The short answer is indeed the PRS custom 24 the longer one is: I'm looking for a double cut guitar with set/tru neck with good sustain, passive pickups, mahogany body and a carved maple top with 24 frets, maple/mahogany neck(moderately fast), tremolo is optional at the best and my favourite finish is flame blue. I'm currently in a progressive/experimental metal band where we play from clean/crunch to high gain br00talz.

Overt1

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Dillion Canada?

Dillion DNLP-40 Double Cut Quilt Top

They're having an overstock sale too!
dnlp40_b1.jpg

This seems like something you want. They have one with a tremolo too

')