Alternative to the RGD2127z

• Thread starter TraE
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TraE

Reaction score
So.. I finally got my 2127z. I know it isn't common around here for someone to dislike this guitar, but needless to say, I'm unimpressed. I have about a $1400 budget to spend on a guitar, and I'm not sure what route I should go. I want a fixed bridge, and I'd preferably like a longer scale instrument. I play metal. I was thinking about looking into Carvin, but I've never played one, and I'm not sure if it would suit my style of playing. If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it. Not interested in Schecters.. the SLS C7 would be perfect if not for the tramp stamp at the 12th fret.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TraE

Reaction score
What don't you like about the RGD?
I mean, it's just an okay guitar to me. A while back I bought (and returned) an LTD MH-417, and I remember that guitar playing just as good as the RGD, and it came with usable pickups (EMG's).. at less than half the price. I understand this thing is made in japan and apparently has great QC, but my RGD came with a horribly slanted neck pickup (fixed), and missing paint over the center pole of the bridge pickup. However with that being said, I'm not basing my judgement of the guitar on those things (if I were to keep it I would get a replacement), just something to keep in mind. It feels nice, but I just don't think it sounds that great. To drop that kind of money on a guitar and not be completely satisfied seems kinda silly. I understand a pickup swap would solve my dilemma to some extent (I still don't like the basswood), but why should I have to spend MORE money on top of what I already spent :(

Reaction score
A carvin is always a good option, should also consider a horizon nt7, but none of those will get you an extended scale.
Maybe a sc-607b or a top of d line agile septor elite.

Sam MJ

Tries to be helpful
Reaction score
why should I have to spend MORE money on top of what I already spent :(

You pay more for decent sounding pickups simply because there a very personal thing, im sure the stock pickups aren't inherently bad per se they just don't suit your needs.

It's just an opportunity for people with a little more know how to customise their instrument for their needs.

Personally, if you like the feel of the instrument then I would keep hold of it and try and improve the sound.

First off, fiddle around with your amp and use your ears not your eyes!
If it's set up for your previous guitar then it will sound different and maybe some of the settings will be over the top for this particular guitar and so it sounds bad.
(what amp are you using by the way?)

If it still doesn't sound good then i'd do some research and look into upgrading the pickups but if you're using a cheap amp then upgrade that first, a great guitar will still sound bad if you're playing it through a cheap amp.

TraE

Reaction score
I have a 6505+ 112 combo. I don't feel that its necessarily bad tone, but the pickups seem like they don't have a very high output. I've played guitars with EMG's and I had an Ibanez a while back that had D-activators and that guitar sounded badass.

Also, another thing to mention is that this guitar's body dents VERY easily. Makes me question the quality of the wood. However, I just assume that all basswood is pretty soft wood.

Kwampis

Reaction score
Also, another thing to mention is that this guitar's body dents VERY easily. Makes me question the quality of the wood. However, I just assume that all basswood is pretty soft wood.

Yeah, that's just basswood. It doesn't say anything about the quality. It's just a soft wood. Basswood has a bad reputation, but it is a perfectly good tonewood. If you liked the D activators in another Ibanez though, I'd try putting those in the RGD before looking for a new guitar. Knowing Ibanez, that other guitar was probably also basswood.

But I think for extended scales your options are basically Agile, Schecter, LTD SC607B, or wait for the new Jackson X series 7s. I don't know if that's a dealbreaker for you, but your options for an extended scale without going custom are quite limited. For what it's worth I like my SC607B a lot.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe you git a Mon/Fri guitar there. I've played a few JEMs that played like shiiiit... and I've played a few that feel like custom shop pieces. That's one benefit of paying a lil extra and getting one from Rich at Ibanez Rules. The warehouse stores ship them as is from the factory. I got a JEM from MF for 1/2 price because it was so horrifically set up. But it felt like a cello until I got it worked on. FWIW there's been a few J Custom 7's around here and on eBay for $2k or under and they play phenomenal.

ISRAFEL

Reaction score
Schecter Loomis, hell of a guitar and can't beat it for the money. Quality is excellent and the ash and maple combo cuts through the mix like nobody's business. If you can get a chance to play one, check it out for sure.

texshred777

Reaction score
Sounds like maybe you git a Mon/Fri guitar there. I've played a few JEMs that played like shiiiit... and I've played a few that feel like custom shop pieces. That's one benefit of paying a lil extra and getting one from Rich at Ibanez Rules. The warehouse stores ship them as is from the factory. I got a JEM from MF for 1/2 price because it was so horrifically set up. But it felt like a cello until I got it worked on. FWIW there's been a few J Custom 7's around here and on eBay for $2k or under and they play phenomenal.

+1 for ibanezrules. Rich is awesome.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Let's not descriminate against his preference. If he didn't like his RGD, then no big deal. Let's help with his question!

I'm voting for Carvin. Problem is, no extended scale.

I think there's a few other customs that might in your price range. Others would know better though.

asilayamazing

Reaction score
So.. I finally got my 2127z. I know it isn't common around here for someone to dislike this guitar, but needless to say, I'm unimpressed....I mean, it's just an okay guitar to me.
:bowdown:

With a budget of $1400, I'd go for Carvin or ESP.
:yesway:

Let's not descriminate against his preference. If he didn't like his RGD, then no big deal. Let's help with his question!

I'm voting for Carvin. Problem is, no extended scale.

I think there's a few other customs that might in your price range. Others would know better though.
:yesway: i dont dig the ibanez either. id say esp or maybe even a used EBMM?!? esp has a much better consistency IMO and EBMM are always phenomenal, i have yet to hear someone complain about one.

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score
im sure the stock pickups aren't inherently bad per se they just don't suit your needs.QUOTE]

No... They are.

Looks like they're using the V77/87 combo, which have sounded very sub-par any other pickups I've heard through most rigs.

Spending $1000 + for a guitar really shouldn't leave you looking to replace the pickups, especially since Ibanez pickups generally seem to be looked down upon.

')