Alternatives to Maxon OD808?

• Thread starter starbelly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

starbelly

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a TS-style pedal to boost a metal amp, and also for more traditional uses (standard rock, SRV tones, etc.).

The holy grail for metal boosting (tightening lows, adding bite) seems to be the Maxon OD808. However, I'm looking at some TS-style alternatives that may provide a bit more flexibility. These include the Earthquaker Devices Dunes, and JHS Moonshine.

I know these alternatives will be useful for standard rock/SRV tones, but will such alternatives be good for boosting metal amps? Do you know of any OD808 alternatives that will accomplish this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
If you're in the camp that uses a TS with the gain off and the level up, you could just go with a clean boost instead of just another TS clone. I've been using a TC Spark whenever I need a boost, cause it does what you expect it to do (a clean level boost), it's got a bass knob so you're in control of the low end roll-off, and I like where the mid boost sits if you decide to use that option.

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
I don't know about alternatives, but no one will ever convince me that the TS9 for $99 does anything different than the Maxon808 for double that.....

IMHO, save the cash and buy the TS9. Then go buy another clean/adjustable booster....

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
TS-style pedals are only so different, you're usually just paying for a little more versatility or for the name of the guy putting the thing together.

The Maxon is so highly regarded because, other than sounding great, it's common, affordable, durable, and original, as Maxon made some of the first TS pedals for Ibanez.

I've yet to run into a pedal like this that couldn't "boost for metal" or cop the "SRV thing", that's pretty much the two things these pedals, at the minimum, can do.

Get something built well, with just as many bells and whistles as you need (Keep It Simple Stan), and play the heck out of it.

I used Maxon 808 and 9 pedals for years, rock solid. I've been out of the game for a few years, moved on to digital, but if I had to buy something tomorrow that wasn't a Maxon I'd grab an SD805. Played the heck out of one recently with both a Dual Rec and Quick Rod and it slayed.

I don't know about alternatives, but no one will ever convince me that the TS9 for $99 does anything different than the Maxon808 for double that.....

IMHO, save the cash and buy the TS9. Then go buy another clean/adjustable booster....

The OD808 is based on the TS808, which used a slightly different circuit and at times a different op-amp than the TS9.

So the OD808 will do nothing more than a TS9, other than sounding like a TS808. :lol:

That's why you'll see a lot of TS-style pedals diverge between the 808 and 9 style circuits, and some even combine the two in the same housing or offer switching to have both flavors.

I get what you're saying though, and I agree that a lot of the pricier TS-style pedals are more scam than substance.

For what it's worth though, the Maxon stuff is still MIJ as far as I know, hence the higher price.

starbelly

Reaction score
If you're in the camp that uses a TS with the gain off and the level up, you could just go with a clean boost instead of just another TS clone. I've been using a TC Spark whenever I need a boost, cause it does what you expect it to do (a clean level boost), it's got a bass knob so you're in control of the low end roll-off, and I like where the mid boost sits if you decide to use that option.

I see. I have an Xotic BB Preamp, which makes me question whether or not a TS-style pedal will be redundant. With the Xotic However, there are active treble and bass controls. Not sure if it will give you the juicy mid range character though.

starbelly

Reaction score

I understand that. I'm just trying to get the option that provides the most flexibility. To that end, the Dunes is looking good.

starbelly

Reaction score
TS-style pedals are only so different, you're usually just paying for a little more versatility or for the name of the guy putting the thing together.

The Maxon is so highly regarded because, other than sounding great, it's common, affordable, durable, and original, as Maxon made some of the first TS pedals for Ibanez.

I've yet to run into a pedal like this that couldn't "boost for metal" or cop the "SRV thing", that's pretty much the two things these pedals, at the minimum, can do.

Get something built well, with just as many bells and whistles as you need (Keep It Simple Stan), and play the heck out of it.

I used Maxon 808 and 9 pedals for years, rock solid. I've been out of the game for a few years, moved on to digital, but if I had to buy something tomorrow that wasn't a Maxon I'd grab an SD805. Played the heck out of one recently with both a Dual Rec and Quick Rod and it slayed.

The OD808 is based on the TS808, which used a slightly different circuit and at times a different op-amp than the TS9.

So the OD808 will do nothing more than a TS9, other than sounding like a TS808. :lol:

That's why you'll see a lot of TS-style pedals diverge between the 808 and 9 style circuits, and some even combine the two in the same housing or offer switching to have both flavors.

I get what you're saying though, and I agree that a lot of the pricier TS-style pedals are more scam than substance.

For what it's worth though, the Maxon stuff is still MIJ as far as I know, hence the higher price.

This was very helpful, thanks! I've heard nothing but great things about the 805. Do you know which type of circuit the 805 uses?

rexbinary

The MOD King!
Reaction score

This is why I went with the Tube Screamer Mini for $80. I believe it's just as good as the other TS family pedals for my ears. I am very happy with it.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This was very helpful, thanks! I've heard nothing but great things about the 805. Do you know which type of circuit the 805 uses?

To my ear, it was more 808, but they're so similar I could be wrong. It's quite adjustable too, so I'm sure you could dial it in to be closer to either.

starbelly

Reaction score
To my ear, it was more 808, but they're so similar I could be wrong. It's quite adjustable too, so I'm sure you could dial it in to be closer to either.

Right on. This is probably what I'll end up getting.

karjim

Set the World Afire
Reaction score
What amp would be in your chain?
I had used a TS 808 homemade for years but it was for amps that need a kick in the a$$...Laney Marshall, Peavey 5150 crunch channel .
I've played the blue channel of an EVH for now 3 years and this amp is already really compressed and I've found the SD 805 is really better than my old TS: clearer, quieter, easier to dial in etc...
If you have a modern metal voiced amp, I suggest the SD805 otherwise the classic TS (Maxon or whatever) is a classic and the way to go for a first screamer

starbelly

Reaction score
What amp would be in your chain?
I've used a TS 808 homemade for years but it was for amps that need a kick in the a$$...Laney Marshall, Peavey 5150 crunch channel .
I've played the blue channel of an EVH for now 3 years and this amp is already really compressed and I've found the SD 805 is really better than my old TS: clearer, quieter, easier to dial in etc...
If you have a modern metal voiced amp, I suggest the SD805 otherwise the classic TS (Maxon or whatever) is a classic and the way to go for a first screamer

That's awesome. I'll be using a Peavey 6505 mini through a Mesa Recto 2x12.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can also vouch for the 805. I have a Maxon 808 and the SD 805 and will be selling the 808 in the near future. The 805 can nail the 808 sound, but also has a ton more versatility with the 3 band EQ on tap and it sounds clearer for boosting.

starbelly

Reaction score
I can also vouch for the 805. I have a Maxon 808 and the SD 805 and will be selling the 808 in the near future. The 805 can nail the 808 sound, but also has a ton more versatility with the 3 band EQ on tap and it sounds clearer for boosting.

BAM. That's what I needed to know. Looks like I'll be hunting for an 805!

ncfiala

Silence you bastard
Reaction score
If you're looking for a TS style overdrive with lots of flexibility, you can't beat the EQD Palisades. The Dunes is kind of a stripped down Palisades. The Palisades is pretty pricey for an overdrive though.

starbelly

Reaction score
Now the question is what's better:

Seymour Duncan 805

-or-

Xotic BB Preamp (standard edition)

What do you think?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Did you try the way huge green rhino?

Basically you want anything with an EQ.

lewis

Reaction score

plus dont mushuggah use these? even more reason to buy them haha

')