Alumitone Pickups - Noiseless Passives

• Thread starter The Dark Wolf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Check these out. Alumitone pickups. A very different pickup design from traditional passives. Almost like actives. Hi-fi, and completely noiseless (even the single coils!). Instead of multiple copper wire windings, the aluminum itself works as a coil.

Unfortunately, no 7-string pickups yet, but I must admit, I'm dying to try these.

http://www.guitarnoise.com/review.php?id=375
http://www.lacemusic.com/electric_pickups/alumitone/alumitone_specs.php

alumitone_humbucker.jpg

LaceAlumitonePickups.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
looks cool, i'd love to test one out. i wonder how much they will run?

Drache713

Contributor
Reaction score
That looks fucking awesome! I wonder if it has the same benefits of an EMG/Active pickup besides low noise, such as low impedance, not using you as a ground, etc.?

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
That looks fucking awesome! I wonder if it has the same benefits of an EMG/Active pickup besides low noise, such as low impedance, not using you as a ground, etc.?

I wonder about that, too. I'm gonna guess they're low impedance, since they're current rather than voltage driven, but I'm no electrician.

We need Bill to chime in! I think I will e-mail them, too.

Leon... the humbuckers go for about $110 a piece.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Lace-?sku=305419

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Wow... those look really interesting!

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, I keep hoping for a 7 string version. The theory behind the pickups is pretty cool, but I haven't actually heard one yet...

ohio_eric

Contributor
Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how they catch on. There have been attempts in the past of making pickups more hi-fi and they have always met mixed results at best. Guitarists seem to be more than happy with a low-fi kind of sound.

AVH

avhguitarrepair.com
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Those look absolutely facinating....we guitarists are a stubborn, traditional lot though. It may have a tough time catching on, but if they sound as good as they look, they may have a chance.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:lol:

I'm curious to hear these things in action before I judge - they're ugly, but if the tone's there...

All_¥our_Bass

Deathly Chuuni
Reaction score
I think tehy look cool. I wish I could hear hwat they sound like though (compred to various other 'standard' pickups).

Latest posts

')