Am haveing a tuneing problems

• Thread starter insanebassninja
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
See video... Really thats the only way I can really tell you what is going on. I learn on thing 70 is good on a solid bridge just not for a whammy bar 7 string. Anyways see the video.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mik3D23

things
Reaction score
Going up to a larger set of strings increases the overall tension of the system. Being a floating tremolo, there is a balance between the string tension and the spring tension (in the back of the guitar under that middle plastic cover). It's going to take multiple times of tuning every string before they all stay in tune, since whenever you tune one string up its going to make all of the other strings go a little flat. Every time you tune this lessens a little bit. The next step would be to balance the bridge, which would compensate for the larger strings you put on and bring the bridge back level with the body. Read some floating tremolo tutorials on changing strings/tuning/balancing, along with some youtube videos and such. Try and make yourself pretty familiar with a floating bridge and how it works before you go adjusting the springs.

PS. There's a good change you'll have to tweak your truss rod a bit after increasing your string gauge. There's also a chance your nut might need a tiny bit of filing depending on how much you bumped up the gauge.

Edit: After tuning your strings up as much as you just did make sure once you go adjusting the springs that you take it slow and donw just crank them in all at once. There might be too much tension on the system and that point and you might break a string or something.
Good luck!

Krymson86

Reaction score
When you increase STRING tension you have to counteract that with SPRING tension. Remove the back plate and tighten the screws in the bridge claw that holds the springs and trem. You can also add spring tension by adding another spring depending on how you like your bridge to feel.

Another huge piece of advice I can give is BLOCK off your bridge for tuning purposes, get a few scraps of cardboard in a small enough piece that you could place it underneath the trem in the trem cavity route on top or between the trem block and the body underneath. From there you'll have a more stable place to work out your tuning issues. You want the bridge baseplate to sit even with the body. Once you've tuned it up from there you can unblock the bridge again and if it gets pulled down by too much tension, or pulls up from not enough you can tune to the A string either tightening or loosening the springs by getting the baseplate to line up with where you had it in the 'blocked' position.

There's plenty of great videos on youtube for sorting out floating trems. This video has some great advice for any floating trem, the Floyd Rose specifically.
Floyd Upgrades part 3 - Floyd Rose Setup & Intonation - YouTube

Universe74

Reaction score
yea... I should bout the other seven string I was looking at.:wallbash: I wish I didn't get a floater. O well life moves on.

My very first floater put me in the same position you are in. You'll figure it out. Springs must have more tension. As stated above once you get it set right, when you put on a new set of strings of the same gauge it will not require any adjustment.

Reaction score
I took it to a local shop 6 strings down in Plainfield, Indiana. All he added was one more spring but I got the normal rant from him as normal. But he's like a grandfather to me. Needs to be fully set up now but least not very much is needed now.

')